Rattling noise on 02 6-speed - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2010, 09:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Rattling noise on 02 6-speed

when my rpm's get to around 1850 i get a rattle almost sounds like a tambourine shaking and once it gets past 2000 rpm it goes away...anyone experience this problem...i'm thinkin maybe the clutch or a bearing somewhere ????
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2010, 10:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
VP Moderator

Thanked 1,464 Times in 1,260 Posts
Will it do the same in different gears at the same rpm??
2008 3500 stock QCLB dually Inferno red. Toys: Fuel injected Rampage, Road Grader, 1586 tractor, 60K genset, Honda ATV, and more. Back in business with a Hitachi EX270LC excavator. The dirt slinging has begun with 50+ acres to clear.
dozer12216 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2010, 10:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
My truck does the same thing. I think the noise comes from applying to much power and torque at to low of a RPM / in the wrong gear.
1999 2500 4X4 6 Speed SO,Garrett Powermax Stage 2,Banks PowerPac,Smarty,DDP 100HP Injectors,Fuel Pressure Gauge&Low Fuel Pressure Light,AFE Torque Tube Ice Box intake Amsoil filer,FASS w complete 1/2 fuel line,AmsoilByPass,Southbend 13" ConOFE
FLHTPI is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2010, 10:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

sounds to me like somethings loose and 1800-2000 rpms is its resonating frequency. Wheres it coming from?
Old 07-01-2010, 02:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

I had something similar and it turned out to be that shock that runs horizontal between the front tires on the steering parts. Cant think of the name of it. It was driving me nuts.
It was worn out and the parts were rattling like mad. Steering is much better and tracks better. Worth checking.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ryan Milliken

Thanked 2,077 Times in 1,124 Posts
check your shift knob... i have one of those geno's "Cummins Power" knobs and it would rattle around the same RPM range... i put it back together with a sh*t-ton of thread tape... quiet so far
2014 NHRDA Super Street & Pro Stock Points Leader #6010
SS 2007.5 6.7C/47RE 4x4 SCLB "BuckWheat" 9.71@142mph **FUEL ONLY**
PSTK Silverado 6.6D/Lenco-Bruno "DirtyMaxx" 8.82@153mph **FUEL ONLY**
TOW - 13 6.7C/68RFE 4x4 CCSB... "stock"
WIFE - 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 ECODIESEL
DD - 14 Ram 1500 SCSB 2WD HEMI (for now...)
facebook / email / web
"KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!"
Krazeeun is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2010, 07:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

it does it in most gears ,definitely something under the hood,not the shift knob...sounds like passengers side under hood......if i put the clutch in and rev it i don''t hear the noise

Last edited by bigmike; 07-01-2010 at 07:31 AM.
bigmike is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2010, 07:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,150 Times in 870 Posts
exhaust loose or rusted some where?
Old 07-02-2010, 05:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Assuming you don't have any obviously loose parts, you might be hearing be what is called "gear rollover" in the transmission. Google search "gear rollover" The nv5600 is a medium duty truck transmission, full of alot of big gears and shafts. The right combination of load,gear selection,rpm and engine harmonics will make some of the gears without a load on them rattle/vibrate on the shafts. Sometimes an oil change will help quiet the noise.

Sam
Owned and gone, 1991 d250 and 2001.5 2500qc
2008 Thor jazz 2870UK 5er
Other rides '10 Honda Element SC....'56 Vw oval
Ram4Sam is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2010, 05:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

My noise doesn't concern me. My truck lives a good life with no abuse. My noise didn't start till I switched to Amsoil. Heavy duty transmissions make noise!!!
1999 2500 4X4 6 Speed SO,Garrett Powermax Stage 2,Banks PowerPac,Smarty,DDP 100HP Injectors,Fuel Pressure Gauge&Low Fuel Pressure Light,AFE Torque Tube Ice Box intake Amsoil filer,FASS w complete 1/2 fuel line,AmsoilByPass,Southbend 13" ConOFE
Old 07-02-2010, 05:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram4Sam View Post
Assuming you don't have any obviously loose parts, you might be hearing be what is called "gear rollover" in the transmission. Google search "gear rollover" The nv5600 is a medium duty truck transmission, full of alot of big gears and shafts. The right combination of load,gear selection,rpm and engine harmonics will make some of the gears without a load on them rattle/vibrate on the shafts. Sometimes an oil change will help quiet the noise.

Sam
What Sam said.

Transmission Noise
Gear Rattle is a repetitive metallic impact or rapping noise which occurs on a manual transmission powertrain
when the vehicle is lugging in gear. The rattle noise intensity generally increases with transmission operating
temperature and engine torque, and decreases with increasing vehicle speed. Since the gear ratios have been
designed to achieve maximum fuel economy, there may be instances when gear rattle is distinctly noticeable
under lugging conditions. This, however, is not detrimental to the engine or transmission provided that the gear
selected is appropriate for the vehicle speed.
NOTE:
Replacement of transmission components will not correct neutral rollover rattle.
Neutral Rollover Rattle has the same characteristics as gear rattle except that rollover occurs with the engine
idling, transmission in NEUTRAL, and the clutch engaged (clutch pedal released). The rollover noise intensity
increases with transmission operating temperature and engine torque load resulting from air conditioning and
generator. Neutral rollover noise is not detrimental to the engine or transmission. In vehicles where the engine
idle speed is below specification or rough, a harsh clattering noise like loose marbles in the transmission may
be heard.
Rollover Noise caused by engine torsional vibrations and Clutch Release Bearing Noise are sometimes
mistaken for Transmission Bearing Noise. Neutral rollover noise will disappear when the transmission is
engaged in gear. Due to a constant running clutch release bearing (used for the hydraulic clutch release
mechanism), noise caused by a worn or damaged clutch release bearing will be noticeable with the clutch
engaged or disengaged (clutch pedal released or depressed). Transmission service will not eliminate gear
rollover noise or clutch release bearing noise.
While verifying the condition, determine whether the noise is gear rollover noise, release bearing or some
other transmission related noise.
Gear rollover noise, inherent in manual transmissions, is caused by the constant mesh gears turning at engine
idle speed, while the clutch is engaged and the transmission is in NEUTRAL; and release bearing rub are
sometimes mistaken for mainshaft bearing noise.
Gear rollover noise will disappear when the clutch is disengaged or when the transmission is engaged in gear.
Release bearing rub will disengage when the clutch is engaged in the event that a bearing is damaged, the
noise is more pronounced while engaged in gear under load or coast than in neutral.
The Following User Says Thank You to FLHTPI For This Useful Post:
bigmike (07-10-2010)
Old 07-02-2010, 11:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

I notice it when I'm doing maybe 15-20mph in 3rd, turning only. And I heard it after clutch job, resurfaced flywheel, tranny oil, and all u joints replaced
2002 2500 SLT Laramie SBQC 24v HO 4X4, NV5600, Posi, FASS 95, silencer delete, BHAF, gauges, 4:10's, 240,000
Erik_w is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.