2001 5.9L Cummins Engine cuts out while cruising - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2010, 11:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
2001 5.9L Cummins Engine cuts out while cruising

Please Help!

My 2001 5.9L Cummins cuts out when I'm cruising (40-60mph only) and I can't seem to get a good diagnosis. It feels like the transmission is slipping but I had the transmission checked and it's fine. The engine has little hiccups where the rpms slightly jump up rapidly yet the truck doesn't pull forward. This will happen for a fraction of a second many times in a row, then go back to normal for 20 minutes or so. If I accelerate at all the symptoms immediately go away.

Any ideas?
tbalanw is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2010, 01:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

check to see if you have any codes in it an report back
Old 06-26-2010, 07:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Turn the keyswitch On-Off-On-Off-On then look at your odometer for P-codes.
'01.5 QC, SB, 6spd 4x4, Drag Comp, 4" exh. IP 200's and Cat 62-65-.70A/R w/adj.boost elbow Big Line, fuel press.pyro & boost gauges fuel cooler BHAF, Black Holley lift pump-12psi WOT Ceramic/Kevlar SD clutch, studs, Take time to turn-so you don't burn
Clunk is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2010, 01:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

could be fuel related if you are losing power may not be getting any fuel along with the cutting in and out also check the throttle senser if thats of course you don't have a cable. good luck by the way is your truck smoking of any color
HOSS THE BOSS is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2010, 10:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Sounds like APPS but unfortunetly could be fuel pump related. Obviously injection pump, but if it is gone I would question the strength of your lift pump.
98.5 2500 53 block w/ 470k km 4x4 AFE intake, WMI, HTT 62/65/13SS, BD 100HP stix, BD STLTH HPVP, 3 pc ex-man 4" TBE w/dual 5" tips ATS. FASS, Jw/A, BD Stg 3 tran...432 Hp 942 TQ 05/15/10 w/o W/M. Need to hit the rollers again! W/ some 1.5's? 2's?
starstrungholsteins is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2010, 11:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Hi, I had a similar problem and narrowed it down to the MAP sensor. Truck would lose power and surge at highway speeds and through intermittant engine light. I pulled the sensor out, cleaned it with sensor cleaner and it has worked flawless since. If the MAP sensor isn't detecting any boost pressure it tells the computer to cut fuel supply. If your not sure, you will find the sensor right near you fuel filter on the side of the engine. I hope this helps!
Old 07-03-2010, 01:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

I am having similar problems. I have taken to the "go to" guys concerning fuel delivery in Dallas.
They first re-flashed my computer and cleaned the grounds twice which only seemed to help temporarily.
Then They removed a supplemental fuel pump. That didn't work.
Then they dropped my tank and replaced the in tank pump. That didn't work.
Then they thought it was my gas pedal position sensor so they replaced that.
That didn't work.
They for some reason could never duplicate the problem and after spending almost 2k in repairs they told me to bring it back when it was doing it all the time or threw a code.
They also said these symptoms were not typical of a injector pump problem.
I am as frustrated as hell and know you must be too. Hope you get it figured out.
onebobcat is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2010, 01:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

What Kind of cleaner did you use?

Last edited by onebobcat; 07-03-2010 at 01:30 AM.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

[QUOTE=sean_mckay88;3112636] I pulled the sensor out, cleaned it with sensor cleaner and it has worked flawless since.

What exactly did you use to clean your sensor??
Old 07-03-2010, 02:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

brake cleen is what I used
flatlineracing is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2010, 02:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbalanw View Post
Please Help!

My 2001 5.9L Cummins cuts out when I'm cruising (40-60mph only) and I can't seem to get a good diagnosis. It feels like the transmission is slipping but I had the transmission checked and it's fine. The engine has little hiccups where the rpms slightly jump up rapidly yet the truck doesn't pull forward. This will happen for a fraction of a second many times in a row, then go back to normal for 20 minutes or so. If I accelerate at all the symptoms immediately go away.

Any ideas?
Do you think this is the torque converter lock/unlock issue? If so, this has been hashed over many times and it should be pretty easy to fix. In fact, check out the stickied post at the top of the forum and there is a bunch of info. to read through.
2000 3/4 4x4 CCLB Auto. 203k, Dipricol FP gauge, 2 stroke lubin'er up, Raptor 100, "Swiss Cheese" air box suckin' wind, Power Puck.. .. Parts fixed - Vac. pump sealed, new rad., BD APPS noise filter, puke bottle gone.. So far, so good!
rockyraider is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2010, 03:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

i heard u either go slow down for a little or speed up and it be fine or shut it off and re start it and it fine for awhile
95cumminsturbo is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.