Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Replacing my 2002 dodge 2500 cummins fuel filter

27K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  mjgcamper 
#1 ·
hey guy's, i'm just about to change my fuel filter and just looking for some help just so I don't screw anything up.

Any help would be great.

2002 dodge 2500 5.9L

#4 ·
I put a small plastic coupler in the end of the drain hose on the water drain hose on the filter. Then plugged a small length of vinyl tubing into the coupling to extend it down to a container to catch the diesel. Drain the filter. Disconnect the water sensor from the bottom front of the fuel canister. Remover the nut on top of the canister while holding onto the filter canister. lift it out. Pull off the new hose but leave the coupling. Take out the filter. Clean everything. Replace all the o rings and coat with a little clean diesel fuel. Make sure the drain valve is closed. Fill the canister up about 2/3 with clean diesel. Carefully slide the filter almost all the way in...fill the canister with clean diesel almost to the top just it doesn't spill when you push the filter in all the way. Without SPILLING lower it back in and under the filter housing and tighten nut. Plug back in sensor. Wash your hands...lol. Start your truck. It should run without missing a beat.

#5 ·
Everything BigRed said, except I dont use the drain, they are troublesome, and prone to not sealing back up after using it, dont be surprised if it suddenly starts leaking or you cant get it to stop. easier just to leave it alone and syphen(use a turkey baster or rags) out the fuel outta the canister.
also take note if your lift pump has failed, this would be the time you will find out, If you dont have a fuel pressure gauge now you should be looking to instal one very soon, the stock LP's fail quickly and some trucks will run when they do fail, but over time it will take out the VP (1000-1500$) The fuel pressure gauge alerts you to a failed LP before you damage the VP44

If after you change the filter the truck starts and runs for 10-30seconds and then dies... likely your LP is dead, just giving you a heads up, as to what could go wrong

Reactions: Ricardo91
#6 ·
Everything BigRed said, except I dont use the drain, they are troublesome, and prone to not sealing back up after using it, dont be surprised if it suddenly starts leaking or you cant get it to stop. easier just to leave it alone and syphen(use a turkey baster or rags) out the fuel outta the canister.
I have only had it happen once since the truck was new but good point. I have a spare. :hehe: I'm not turkey baster qualified.

#7 ·
i know this is awhile back but i have just one question. do u have to drain the fuel and why? i do but my brother in law says u do not have to and it is pointless.

#8 ·
If the Water in Fuel light isn't on, draining is optional imo.

Thanks for the link Bill, now I remember why I change mine that way.
Dave's site has been helpful to me since 1998.

Reactions: Ricardo91
#9 ·
iv always drained mine and thats how the auto shops had me do it that way too. now im confused lol

#10 ·
You should drain it because there's little metal dust and other dirt in the bottom of the bowl from lift pump wear. It settles down there so it's best to clean that out.

I like the turkey baster route because I know how easily the drain lever starts leaking from wear. Only I'll use a hose with a bulb hand pump to pump it out.

I clean the bottom of the bowl by tapeing a small plastic hose to the shop vac and suck it out. Works great cause the hose is long enough to keep the dust away from the fuel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.