Replacing my 2002 dodge 2500 cummins fuel filter - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2010, 02:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Replacing my 2002 dodge 2500 cummins fuel filter

hey guy's, i'm just about to change my fuel filter and just looking for some help just so I don't screw anything up.

Any help would be great.

2002 dodge 2500 5.9L
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2010, 07:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,120 Times in 1,573 Posts
Click> 24 Valve Fuel Filter Change

Also moving to the 24 valve forum for better response.
Stock for one day
illflem is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to illflem For This Useful Post:
Clunk (10-22-2012)
Old 05-07-2010, 10:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by odie1830 View Post
hey guy's, i'm just about to change my fuel filter and just looking for some help just so I don't screw anything up.

Any help would be great.

2002 dodge 2500 5.9L
It's real easy, I would be surprised if anyone could come up with a way to screw it up.
black01cumminstruck is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2010, 01:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I put a small plastic coupler in the end of the drain hose on the water drain hose on the filter. Then plugged a small length of vinyl tubing into the coupling to extend it down to a container to catch the diesel. Drain the filter. Disconnect the water sensor from the bottom front of the fuel canister. Remover the nut on top of the canister while holding onto the filter canister. lift it out. Pull off the new hose but leave the coupling. Take out the filter. Clean everything. Replace all the o rings and coat with a little clean diesel fuel. Make sure the drain valve is closed. Fill the canister up about 2/3 with clean diesel. Carefully slide the filter almost all the way in...fill the canister with clean diesel almost to the top just it doesn't spill when you push the filter in all the way. Without SPILLING lower it back in and under the filter housing and tighten nut. Plug back in sensor. Wash your hands...lol. Start your truck. It should run without missing a beat.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Everything BigRed said, except I dont use the drain, they are troublesome, and prone to not sealing back up after using it, dont be surprised if it suddenly starts leaking or you cant get it to stop. easier just to leave it alone and syphen(use a turkey baster or rags) out the fuel outta the canister.
also take note if your lift pump has failed, this would be the time you will find out, If you dont have a fuel pressure gauge now you should be looking to instal one very soon, the stock LP's fail quickly and some trucks will run when they do fail, but over time it will take out the VP (1000-1500$) The fuel pressure gauge alerts you to a failed LP before you damage the VP44

If after you change the filter the truck starts and runs for 10-30seconds and then dies... likely your LP is dead, just giving you a heads up, as to what could go wrong
Ricardo91 (03-04-2013)
Old 05-08-2010, 06:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickg View Post
Everything BigRed said, except I dont use the drain, they are troublesome, and prone to not sealing back up after using it, dont be surprised if it suddenly starts leaking or you cant get it to stop. easier just to leave it alone and syphen(use a turkey baster or rags) out the fuel outta the canister.
I have only had it happen once since the truck was new but good point. I have a spare. I'm not turkey baster qualified.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

i know this is awhile back but i have just one question. do u have to drain the fuel and why? i do but my brother in law says u do not have to and it is pointless.
06 ram 4x4, AFE CAI, MBRP 4" turbo back exhaust, 6" pro comp lift kit, 37" Toyo open country M/T, Auto meter phantom gauges (pyro, Boost, EGT), Skyjacker dual steering stabilizers, ranch hand bull nose front replacement bumper, 2 6" kc day-lighters,bully dog triple dog gt tuner, bd boost fooler, and more stuff to come
pwrcummins is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 09:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

If the Water in Fuel light isn't on, draining is optional imo.

Thanks for the link Bill, now I remember why I change mine that way.
Dave's site has been helpful to me since 1998.
'01.5 QC, SB, 6spd 4x4, Drag Comp, 4" exh. IP 200's and Cat 62-65-.70A/R w/adj.boost elbow Big Line, fuel press.pyro & boost gauges fuel cooler BHAF, Black Holley lift pump-12psi WOT Ceramic/Kevlar SD clutch, studs, Take time to turn-so you don't burn
Clunk is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Clunk For This Useful Post:
Ricardo91 (03-04-2013)
Old 10-22-2012, 09:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iv always drained mine and thats how the auto shops had me do it that way too. now im confused lol
06 ram 4x4, AFE CAI, MBRP 4" turbo back exhaust, 6" pro comp lift kit, 37" Toyo open country M/T, Auto meter phantom gauges (pyro, Boost, EGT), Skyjacker dual steering stabilizers, ranch hand bull nose front replacement bumper, 2 6" kc day-lighters,bully dog triple dog gt tuner, bd boost fooler, and more stuff to come
pwrcummins is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

You should drain it because there's little metal dust and other dirt in the bottom of the bowl from lift pump wear. It settles down there so it's best to clean that out.

I like the turkey baster route because I know how easily the drain lever starts leaking from wear. Only I'll use a hose with a bulb hand pump to pump it out.

I clean the bottom of the bowl by tapeing a small plastic hose to the shop vac and suck it out. Works great cause the hose is long enough to keep the dust away from the fuel.
mjgcamper is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.