Engine oil has green tint - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 12:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Engine oil has green tint

Always used Shell Rotella every 5k miles. Check engine light came on yesterday. Checked the oil and it has a greenish tint to it. Levels may be up slightly. Repair shop checked codes...crank sensor code was the only one showing. So, they are going to replace that today. Engine does not smoke. Have been running PowerService brand fuel supplement regularly. Had coolant flush last fall / level is good. Any ideas on the engine oil color. Seems to run okay. Did notice a diesel fuel smell yesterday...some, not all times. Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2010, 12:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Check your anifreze level. thats the only liquid that i can think of that is that color.....idk how it would get in though....also check your oil presure guage. we had a couple injectors go out at one time on one of our trucks, and it filled the oil pan with diesel. and diesel can turn almost glowing green. just a though. but i would make sure that its not that cus if it is your truck will not run very much longer and cease the engine
1999 Ram 2500, Custom cold air intake; COMING SOON Silverline T409 turbo back Stainless Exhaust, Power Puck, Bully dog boost builder, AFE torque Tube, Air dog FP150 Lift pump, when i get all in im going to wire a smoke switch in
99man is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2010, 01:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Oil Pressure looks okay on the gauge.

If an injector was bad, would'nt it run rough? Smoke?
Old 03-05-2010, 01:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

i was gonna say lifted head but its stock sounds like fuel leakin in or coolant? not to sure

01 2wd 6peed STILL FORSALE
59FIFTY is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2010, 01:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

oddly, when our injectors failed, we could not tell a difference. we could tell because the truck started beeping at us and the oil pressure went way down. we pulled over and turned it off, the tow truck came out to get it and took it to the shop and told us that 2-3 of the injectors went out and dumped like a gallon of diesel into the oil pan. it was everywhere. in the entire oil system, and spraying out of the bypass tube infront the engine and sprayed it all over the under of the truck. but if your just leaking a little bit in there you would not really know accept for the odd coloration and it would most likley be a little bit less dence. i run rotella T in my truck as well and it does not have a green tint to it.
1999 Ram 2500, Custom cold air intake; COMING SOON Silverline T409 turbo back Stainless Exhaust, Power Puck, Bully dog boost builder, AFE torque Tube, Air dog FP150 Lift pump, when i get all in im going to wire a smoke switch in
Old 03-05-2010, 02:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

wow 99man,
Is it a 99 your talking about what took them out all at once? contaminated fuel?
2004 sbqc 4x4 3.73 auto unknown VB,Goerend triple, smarty, str8 pipe. Stock 4" AF, cooper at35s SOLD -2002 SBQC ETH/DEE 4x4 4.10Mach 4s SPS62/14 turbo, O rings/ Studs, SB Con-FE Drag Comp, 4" dynomax SOLD 2004.5 LBQC 3500 dually 4x4 3.73 Auto,Grandpa stock!
rivercat is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2010, 02:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

no this was our 2005. We are not really sure what caused it. probly corosion in the injectors. maybe some air got in their. who knows. but it sure did a job on the engine.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rescue Tower

Thanked 1,900 Times in 1,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DStafford View Post
Always used Shell Rotella every 5k miles. Check engine light came on yesterday. Checked the oil and it has a greenish tint to it. Levels may be up slightly. Repair shop checked codes...crank sensor code was the only one showing. So, they are going to replace that today. Engine does not smoke. Have been running PowerService brand fuel supplement regularly. Had coolant flush last fall / level is good. Any ideas on the engine oil color. Seems to run okay. Did notice a diesel fuel smell yesterday...some, not all times. Thanks.
If you want to know what's in your oil then get it analyzed. Green usually means coolant, but then again it should be milky looking, not green. You could test your cooling system for leak down to see if it has a leak somewhere. I'd stop using power service as well. Better off with two stroke or opti-lube. Power service pushes water through the injectors... which could cause them to fail and fill your crank case with diesel.

Last edited by Shainer; 03-05-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Shainer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2010, 03:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Also, smell it. you should be able to tell a difference in the smell. but like shainer said. get it analyzed.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

the powerservice might push water with a stock lift pump but not with a fass or airdog with the water filter i wouldnt think.
coalroll84 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2010, 04:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rescue Tower

Thanked 1,900 Times in 1,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coalroll84 View Post
the powerservice might push water with a stock lift pump but not with a fass or airdog with the water filter i wouldnt think.
You need to read up on that.... AirDog and FASS are not the best water separators out there... and the power service will always inhibit a filters ability to remove water. De-emulsifier is what you want, not an emulsifier like power service. PS can also reduce lubrication...
Old 03-05-2010, 04:50 PM   #12 (permalink)

I was using the Power Service supplement for the "Slickdiesel" to keep everything clean and lubricated since they took the sulfur out of the fuel. I was not aware of the issue of pushing water thru. Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll try to get the oil analized. At this point, I think I will change the oil and keep an eye on it.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.