Why do I keep tearing up belts???? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 09:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Why do I keep tearing up belts????

I know i'm in the wrong section but i need help. This will be the Third belt i have put on. I replaced the tensioner pulley last week but the belt i left on there had a couple of lips missing and tore another lip off tonight. The belt are coming apart lip by lip and the lip that comes off is always wrapped around the crank pulley between the bolck and the pulley. Could this be my damper going out?
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2010, 09:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins CrAzY

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Almost all the time it is the tensioner. Did you just replace the pulley or the entire tensioner? As for your damper as long as the rubber isn't hard cracked and fallin out it should be good to go.
2000 2500 ext. cab short bed, AFE cold air intake, single 6 inch stack, SPS 62 turbo, FASS 95, Scheid Lightning II's, .093 connector tubes, Maxspool valve springs, A1 head studs, Fire ringed head, Adrenaline, HP intercooler boots, 6 speed with a Haisley Street puller clutch, custom trac. bars, draw straw
DevilDogDiesel is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2010, 09:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

I replaced the entire tensioner
Old 02-24-2010, 11:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I've seen on an 03 that we changed the tensioner, and he kept eating dayco belts, whent with a gates gatorback and has not had an issue since. have also heard that some times the tensioner my require a small shim under it to keep the belt from being "run" off, although I have no experience with this .

I found the dayco tensioner(square looking plastic pulley) was pretty crappy compared to the gates one (steel wheel)

Old 02-25-2010, 12:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I replacement my tensioner also with the gates tensioner and mine is doing the same thing. It ate one lip and I pulled it out from around the crank pulley but I did not readjust the belt just left it how it was. I have not had any problems after
Old 02-25-2010, 12:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rescue Tower

Thanked 1,836 Times in 1,338 Posts
A pulley is out of alignment somewhere. Make sure all pulleys are on tight and running on the same plane.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
ROLLIN SMOKE DIESEL

Thanked 5,128 Times in 2,958 Posts
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
check the idler pulley also....... easily over looked also. this is going to sound dumb but is it the right belt? i had a belt in the wrong cover once

Feel free to email me for quotes: duke@rollinsmokediesel.com

Monday-Friday 8am-5pm CST, online ordering 24/7
Broke Down is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2010, 07:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

It fits like the right belt. Looked at the crank pulley while running and it seems to wobble a bit, that should be my problem.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
VP Moderator

Thanked 1,376 Times in 1,188 Posts
Slight wobble on crank should not be a problem. Look at all pulleys while running and see if belt favors the outside or runns in middle. Check for alignment. Sometimes the alternator is installed out of alignment, idler pulley bad, tensioner assemblly allowing belt to run on edge, AC pulley/bearing bad or misinstalled. Water pump bearing loose but not leaking, anything not allowing belts to center themselves on pulleys.
2008 3500 stock QCLB dually Inferno red. Toys: Fuel injected Rampage, Road Grader, 1586 tractor, 60K genset, Honda ATV, and more. Back in business with a Hitachi EX270LC excavator. The dirt slinging has begun with 50+ acres to clear.
dozer12216 is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to dozer12216 For This Useful Post:
right_on (02-26-2010)
Old 01-30-2011, 08:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
gatorback part number for 2001 with ac?
Old 01-30-2011, 10:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
VP Moderator

Thanked 1,376 Times in 1,188 Posts
And check alternator mount for wallowed out mounting hole..
2008 3500 stock QCLB dually Inferno red. Toys: Fuel injected Rampage, Road Grader, 1586 tractor, 60K genset, Honda ATV, and more. Back in business with a Hitachi EX270LC excavator. The dirt slinging has begun with 50+ acres to clear.
dozer12216 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2011, 10:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Hey I manage a NAPA and the gates # for the belt is #25081264 or put a HD on the end for the heavy duty fleet runner belt. Also like they said make sure everything is aligned and non of the bearings are failling. P.S. that # was if you have a/c.
99 24v Quad cab long box 4x4 75hp injector nozzles, Edge Juice w/att and hot unlock, fass 150,BHAF, High Idle fooler, billet converter, trans-go shift kit, 4:10 gears
jshmohr is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.