Opps, I put gasoline in my diesel. - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Opps, I put gasoline in my diesel.

OK...what was I thinking? (I'm a woman after all) I drove for 1 mile before it quit. Tried to restart but it didn't. Then realized what I had done!!! Towed it to my mechanic. He's a great guy but not a diesel mechanic. He's draining the tank and flushing the system. We're hoping not to have to replace the VP44. Are there other parts that should be replaced that might not cause the engine to run poorly now but will show damage in time? I guess you need to know that I drive a 2002 Dodge Ram extended cab, 2500 Cummins 24 valve inline 6 5.9L, 6 speed manual, 4X4 with no modifications.
The second issue is that I've experience dead pedal for the last year. However, the truck seems to run almost normal once it warms up. From all that I've read,this is not typical of the VP44 failure? Any comments other than what a dummy I am?:

Last edited by sparky88; 01-21-2010 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Added the vehicle information
sparky88 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2010, 08:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hope it is easy fix for you, I'm a first time diesel owner too. little over one year. I know that crossed my mind a few times what would happen if I put in gas? not used to grabbing the green handle! Will be watching what answers you get. Good luck mike
Old 01-21-2010, 08:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

if you have already been experiencing dead pedal your vp is more than likely gone or on the way out
Old 01-21-2010, 09:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

With todays ULSD our vp44's are already starving for lubrication. The diesel also coools the vp44. By adding gasoline to your tank, im afraid to say but you seized up the vp44, stop throwing any more money on diagnostics, you need a new vp44 and lift pump. The lift pump is usually replaced also, unless its fairly new.
hope this helps.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Crap happens. I wouldnt think ud have to replace a lot of things. you can run up to 10 percent gasoline with your diesel to keep it from gelling. Diesel works as a lubricant so your vp didnt have any lubrication donno if that would be enough time to really damage anything. A good cleaning and tank full of diesel and it should run. Just keep an eye on that ip.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky88 View Post
OK...what was I thinking? (I'm a woman after all) I drove for 1 mile before it quit. Tried to restart but it didn't. Then realized what I had done!!! Towed it to my mechanic. He's a great guy but not a diesel mechanic. He's draining the tank and flushing the system. We're hoping not to have to replace the VP44. Are there other parts that should be replaced that might not cause the engine to run poorly now but will show damage in time? I guess you need to know that I drive a 2002 Dodge Ram extended cab, 2500 Cummins 24 valve inline 6 5.9L, 6 speed manual, 4X4 with no modifications.
The second issue is that I've experience dead pedal for the last year. However, the truck seems to run almost normal once it warms up. From all that I've read,this is not typical of the VP44 failure? Any comments other than what a dummy I am?:
My ex-wife did the same thing, except with my 2008 Ram 3500 diesel truck that I had just bought... LOL and that wasn't even the reason we got divorced either.. Nah but seriously, it ran fine after I took the rail off and the high pressure lines as well as dropped the tank and flushed all supply fuel lines and the filter. Runs good today, 160k miles. I'm not worried about it. If you have been dealing with the dead pedal, then yes you will eventually be replacing your VP44. I had an old beat up 2001 that did the same thing. Ran just fine when I got it all warmed up, but would dead pedal randomly while it was cold. Replaced the VP44 and lift pump and it was good to go.
black01cumminstruck is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2010, 09:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel already has less lubricant. Adding 10 percent gasoline to your vp44 diesel truck is a really bad idea. When our vp44's were designed for our trucks they were meant to run on LSD.( more lube, more power,more emissions too)
Old 01-21-2010, 09:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontgoslo View Post
With todays ULSD our vp44's are already starving for lubrication. The diesel also coools the vp44. By adding gasoline to your tank, im afraid to say but you seized up the vp44, stop throwing any more money on diagnostics, you need a new vp44 and lift pump. The lift pump is usually replaced also, unless its fairly new.
hope this helps.
Calm down LOL. Please don't start another lubrication debate...
black01cumminstruck is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2010, 09:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Sparky88,
Don't go beatin yourself for grabbin the wrong handle. I did the same thing a few years ago with my '01. Only thing that saved me was I still had 3/8 of a tank of good " fuel" & an observant patron in front of me. I killed my truck, as it was running while I refueled, & called a diesel shop. We pulled my truck 1/2 mile, did not help the already ailing stock auto tranny, drained the tank, got 3 spare filters, put enough goo fuel in tank to get me back to the flying hook & filled up with the right stuff this time. My truck ran for quite a while before I had to replace the VP44. Although it did run like a scalded ape untill I got all the gas out, it did eventually kill mi VP. Hopefully this is all that has died on you as you did not mention if it would turn over or not. I myself would not intentionally run any amount of gas through my vp.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by black01cumminstruck View Post
Calm down LOL. Please don't start another lubrication debate...
Hahahahahhahahha!
Old 01-21-2010, 09:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Accidentally putting gas in my truck has crossed my mind/freaked me out too. Hopefully its all good.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

lol didnt say i do it in mine. Just stating thats a common practice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.