brain dead bought first cummins - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
brain dead bought first cummins

Hi All
Just bought first cummins truck 1999 built in may got it for 3500.00 body is excellent motor has 136200 miles its want shift out of 1st gear well thats not my problem what i need hellp with someone put after maket horn on it and cut the wires now their is four wires at the horns i need to know what each wire is for does all the wires wire to the horns i need help please i dont wnt to create wireing problems Feel free to message me or in tread

thanks
Wayne

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 12:09 AM
Diesel Freak

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brain dead View Post
Hi All
Just bought first cummins truck 1999 built in may got it for 3500.00 body is excellent motor has 136200 miles its want shift out of 1st gear well thats not my problem what i need hellp with someone put after maket horn on it and cut the wires now their is four wires at the horns i need to know what each wire is for does all the wires wire to the horns i need help please i dont wnt to create wireing problems Feel free to message me or in tread

thanks
Wayne
Two tone horn. Ground and hot for each tone.

Sent from my ASUS_Z012DC using Tapatalk

1999 Ram 2500 QCLB - SO 24V in front of NV4500 and SB DD 3250. Fresh rebuild with ARP studs, CR head, 150HP F1s, Raptor 100, Quadzilla Adrenaline and soon to be compounds.
The Following User Says Thank You to PTSCummins For This Useful Post:
brain dead (06-18-2017)
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

thanks bunchs for your help one more question if you wouldnt mind my truck doesnt shift out a low gear the person i bought from said it did that once before he said he had the trans checked the shop said it wasnt the trans they put a lift pump on it that fixed the prob for it then sounds strange to me can lift pump cause that problem he said shop said it didnt make enough pressure to tell puter to to up shift outa low thanks again

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 12:42 AM
Diesel Freak

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brain dead View Post
thanks bunchs for your help one more question if you wouldnt mind my truck doesnt shift out a low gear the person i bought from said it did that once before he said he had the trans checked the shop said it wasnt the trans they put a lift pump on it that fixed the prob for it then sounds strange to me can lift pump cause that problem he said shop said it didnt make enough pressure to tell puter to to up shift outa low thanks again
No offense, but I'd strongly suggest wording questions in a way that's a bit easier for members to read. You'd be amazed how many members won't comment just because they don't want to decipher a post.

As for the trans, I honestly can't tell you. Standards are my norm, no experience whatsoever with autos.

Sent from my ASUS_Z012DC using Tapatalk

1999 Ram 2500 QCLB - SO 24V in front of NV4500 and SB DD 3250. Fresh rebuild with ARP studs, CR head, 150HP F1s, Raptor 100, Quadzilla Adrenaline and soon to be compounds.
The Following User Says Thank You to PTSCummins For This Useful Post:
brain dead (06-18-2017)
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

thank no offense taken sorry bout how i ask my question guess i wasnt thinking thanks again
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 02:41 AM
Diesel Head

Shifting has nothing to do with the lift pump at all. Inside the trani but easily replaced is a Governor Pressure Sensor and Governor pressure Solenoid. They are the most common problem shifting up from 1-2 and 2-3. Also check fluid level. Buy only good quality sensors.

99 2500, Quad cab, 4x4 47RE, BD pressure lock on it, small BD 90/140 chip on the VP 44 connection plug, 17" 3rd gen wheels.3.55 diffs. Ruenell front bumper and warn winch, Rancho adj shocks. 603k miles.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks big fish
I drove the truck speedometer didnt work alone with not shifting out a low pulled codes it gave one 1688 Inturnal fuel injection pump controler failure is that the injection pump? If not what is it. Im going to change gov pressure senser and the transducer and maybe the one on side of trans that sits kinda at 7oclock is there anymore i could replace on the trans what is a good brand a senser to use

thanks again all
Wayne
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 08:18 PM
Diesel Head

Sounds like you have multiple problems, some may be related and some are not. There are two speed sensors, on on the trani and one on the rear diff. The one on the rear diff is the one that runs the speedometer. The one on the trani is related to shifting, but usually down shifting. The on on the diff is for the speedo and some computers. On the one on the diff check the plug and wires before replacing the sensor. The 1688 show a bad VP and should reflect in running, power and starting, not shifting. Does it have any running, power or starting issues? It is possible that all problems are real and separate or possibly related. Start with the small stuff first and work your way up if it runs well.

99 2500, Quad cab, 4x4 47RE, BD pressure lock on it, small BD 90/140 chip on the VP 44 connection plug, 17" 3rd gen wheels.3.55 diffs. Ruenell front bumper and warn winch, Rancho adj shocks. 603k miles.
The Following User Says Thank You to bigfish95971 For This Useful Post:
brain dead (06-18-2017)
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Hi and thnks big fish

the truck starts great and power is great it will tear the wheels off its self when i hit it.i reset that code and drove it again while waiting on your reply it didnt appear again

Wayne
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 08:52 PM
Diesel Head

Do the GP sensor and solenoid and check out the speed sensors and go from there.

The Following User Says Thank You to bigfish95971 For This Useful Post:
brain dead (06-18-2017)
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

thanks and ok will do post back when done again thanks

Wayne
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

big fish

i just check code ilt showed again what is a vp the rest i will do as you have suggested thanks again

Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode