Trans Heat Exchanger, wheres the truth? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Trans Heat Exchanger, wheres the truth?

Hello, a recent thread about this sparked some new interest about the transmission heat exchanger on the trucks with Auto trans. Who has bypassed or deleted them? I read up a lot on it a while back and ended up bypassing mine when I changed the trans lines to rubber hose. However all the info on them is years old and from other lame forums.

So, thoughts? Delete? Not delete? real function? mixing fluids risk?

Myself, so far I have had zero issues with it removed. Even towing my temps are fine. I do get hot fast in town when towing in town stop and go, but I can control it with lockup and the secondary aux fan cooler I installed. But maybe it was helping the fast rise in 1-2 gears towing in traffic. IDK...

[2000 3500 4x4 24v] [47RE, Billet TC, Built VB] [BHAF] [GDP Fuel Boss] [Banks Kit w/ Exhaust, Tuner, Wastegate, Turbo housing, Intake horn, downpipe ] [ISSPro EV1 gauges] [4.10 gears] [LT235 AT's]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 03:55 PM
Diesel Freak

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by s10010001 View Post
Hello, a recent thread about this sparked some new interest about the transmission heat exchanger on the trucks with Auto trans. Who has bypassed or deleted them? I read up a lot on it a while back and ended up bypassing mine when I changed the trans lines to rubber hose. However all the info on them is years old and from other lame forums.

So, thoughts? Delete? Not delete? real function? mixing fluids risk?

Myself, so far I have had zero issues with it removed. Even towing my temps are fine. I do get hot fast in town when towing in town stop and go, but I can control it with lockup and the secondary aux fan cooler I installed. But maybe it was helping the fast rise in 1-2 gears towing in traffic. IDK...
I don't have any first-hand experience....I drive a real truck

Just kidding. Quite a lot of guys here take them out, then realize they should have kept them when summer hits. 120+ degrees on pavement, then throw in towing on steep grades and you can guess what happens.

Sent from my ASUS_Z012DC using Tapatalk

1999 Ram 2500 QCLB - SO 24V in front of NV4500 and SB DD 3250. Fresh rebuild with ARP studs, CR head, 150HP F1s, Raptor 100, Quadzilla Adrenaline and soon to be compounds.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

I left mine in place, just bypassed it for that very reason, in case I need it back. I was just testing it out, cleaner plumbing, no change of fluid leak either way, no engine heat to help my trans warm up, ect. But it works so I left it out. It hasn't been too hot thought you're right. I might have to put it back and see how it does. I do go to the river a lot in the summer.

So the idea of deleting it is older and no so popular?

Ill keep my Auto TYVM, she does just fine now that I got it rebuilt

[2000 3500 4x4 24v] [47RE, Billet TC, Built VB] [BHAF] [GDP Fuel Boss] [Banks Kit w/ Exhaust, Tuner, Wastegate, Turbo housing, Intake horn, downpipe ] [ISSPro EV1 gauges] [4.10 gears] [LT235 AT's]

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 04:55 PM
Diesel Freak

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by s10010001 View Post
I left mine in place, just bypassed it for that very reason, in case I need it back. I was just testing it out, cleaner plumbing, no change of fluid leak either way, no engine heat to help my trans warm up, ect. But it works so I left it out. It hasn't been too hot thought you're right. I might have to put it back and see how it does. I do go to the river a lot in the summer.

So the idea of deleting it is older and no so popular?

Ill keep my Auto TYVM, she does just fine now that I got it rebuilt
Fairly I would say. The only time it goes for sure is when guys do compounds. Most of the time they end up putting a trans cooler under the frame or up front somewhere in place of the heat exchanger. Not that the front rad isn't blocked too much anyways :/

1999 Ram 2500 QCLB - SO 24V in front of NV4500 and SB DD 3250. Fresh rebuild with ARP studs, CR head, 150HP F1s, Raptor 100, Quadzilla Adrenaline and soon to be compounds.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

Yea I installed a second trans cooler (Derale 15900) under the bed near the transfer case.

Yet, it seems like the heat exchange would work good when the trans is making more than the 190* that the engine coolant runs. Mine will only go up to about 210 when im stuck in stop and god traffic, or one time when I was in 20mph traffic on the freeway, just a little too low to hold TC lockup. Once locked up the heat plummets.

post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 06:21 PM
Cummins Nut

Garage
For me I prefer to have the exchanger for the simple fact that it heats up the fluid in cold weather and does a whole lot better job of keeping my transmission at on consistent temp. My previous truck had it eliminated and would always get hot when creeping along in the hill's and itwas downright sketchy when pulling with the TC unlocked. Stock lines, exchanger, and air/fluid cooler by the condenser and I never have temp issues. In fact, if I ever start to have them I'll know Its a real problem.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

Trans Heat Exchanger, wheres the truth?

I dont buy the too cool part, my trans runs the same cold as it does warm. Atf4 is pretty thin

But I do agree that creeping along while towing I think it helps. I might hook it back up just to test, I don't have any issues but it could make it easier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 09:08 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,209 Times in 1,824 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
It was put there for a reason. Unless a strictly track vehicle there is no reason to remove it. A fluid to fluid heat exchanger is much more efficient than an air to fluid.

Jacob, "strictly business" 01 grumpy sob, Calibrated Addiction, Infinite Performance, Farrell Diesel, 97 rclb
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbayes View Post
It was put there for a reason. Unless a strictly track vehicle there is no reason to remove it. A fluid to fluid heat exchanger is much more efficient than an air to fluid.
Yea, it seems like back in 2010-2013 there was alot of talk about it, lot of people doing it but I dont really find anyone currently deleting it. Weird...

Ill work on pluming it back in, I might even try to source new hardlines. Honestly i'm not even sure I need the Derale cooler. I hardly ever have to turn on the fan. I mainly use it when parked idling in neutral to keep it from building heat. It would be much cleaner with hard lines and no cooler spliced in. IDK.

So the census is NO, deleting the Exchanger is not a good thing, there are fewer pros than cons.

post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:27 AM
Diesel Freak

I have left mine in place, but also hear that it should be deleted. Mine seems to do just fine and knock on wood havent had any problems with it. Before I had my trans rebuilt my tc would slip like crazy and with the stock trans cooler I would see temps as high and sometimes higher than 230 easily. Since at that time I did not have the money to rebuild my trans I installed a ford 6.0 trans cooler in place of the dodge stock cooler and my temps never rose above 200 even tho the tc still slipped like a dog on ice. Now that my trans is built with the derale deep pan and still having the ford 6.0 cooler in place my temps are usually in the mid 100's at full temp down in the south. While the 6.0 cooler may not be as slim and nice as some of the derale units it definitely does the job of keeping it cool.

01 ecsb auto 4x4. BHAF, 5" exhaust turbo back, edge jwa, GDP fuel boss, HD trans w/derale deep trans pan, Thuren 3" coils, D.O.R shackle flip (no blocks), Bilstein 5100's, & 325/60r20 Hankook dynapro AT tires. Next up= Go fast Parts!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

Hmm interesting, that's not a bad idea @Brignac got any pics?

The Derale unit I have has a lot more passes than the stock cooler. Maybe I could just put it up front I place of tue stock cooler and call it a day. So trans > exchanger > derale cooler > trans. That would be clean and I could use all hardliners.

Does anyone know if it's ok to put an electric fan up front but leaving it off? It would spin a lot in the wind I'm sure. I would only turn it on when ideling or going slow to maintain airflow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:47 AM
Diesel Freak

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbayes View Post
I'm not sure I completely agree with that statement. Fluid to fluid is much more efficient, but not when the "cooling" fluid is already 190 degrees. At that point, fluid to air would be significantly more efficient, especially when the vehicle is moving. Fluid to fluid excells in applications like ln2 cooling, or when there is an extremely large volume of coolant available.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode