Frame Rot - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Frame Rot

Hey again, you all where very helpful with my first post I decided to move on with my second issue, as you can see from the photos i attached I have some cancer on my truck, there is matching cancer spots on both front tips of the frame.

My question is, if this was your truck. How would you approach this? (getting rid of the truck aside).

2000 Dodge 2500 4x4 automatic LB Extended cab. 220k

New transmission and VP44

The rest of the frame seems okay.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 10:41 PM
Diesel Freak

Garage
My answer is - it depends.
Its unlikely the front of the frame is that rusted out and the rest is fine... I'd pick at it with a hammer all over and see if it's soft anywhere else. It looks bad right up where the steering box mounts. That's really ultra not-good. You don't want your steering box tearing out. That's really really not-good.
The best and hardest way is to swap all your parts to a nicer frame. You prolly don't wanna do all that.
Next possibility is taking your best stuff like that new trans and VP44 and swapping to the nicest non-running truck you can find, if you can find one.

Rusted out frames really suck. What I'd do depends on how nice the truck is. If it's really a choice cream puff, it's worth the effort and expense to fix. Otherwise, man I dunno... I'd probably get rid of it and buy one from the west coast or southeast.

If somehow it really is only rusted right there, remove everything around the rust, grind it all out, and weld plates on, but make SURE its strong where the steering box is!
YoungGunDiesel likes this.

'99 QC 4x4 Dually, Quadzilla not wiretapped, DAP 150hp VCO7x.010s, HX35, 47RE triple disc billet everything, lockup switch, 4.10s, Gear Vendors OD, Kelderman Air Ride, Alcoas, 4" pipes, BD brake, Fass Titanium 95, Hellwig sway, steering brace, airbags
The Following User Says Thank You to Monstermaker For This Useful Post:
YoungGunDiesel (04-12-2017)
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 11:28 PM
Diesel Head

I would not approach it. I would walk away and look for another truck. Save that one for all the good parts. Buy one from outside the rust belt. Even buy just a good frame and body and use two to make one.

99 2500, Quad cab, 4x4 47RE, BD pressure lock on it, small BD 90/140 chip on the VP 44 connection plug, 17" 3rd gen wheels.3.55 diffs. Ruenell front bumper and warn winch, Rancho adj shocks. 603k miles.
The Following User Says Thank You to bigfish95971 For This Useful Post:

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

Well the kicker is I already own it sadly. So this isn't a truck I'm "looking to buy" its one I already have in my driveway. And ill go over the rest of the frame in great detail but it seems the remainder of the frame was undercoated and painted regularly aisde from this front bumper area.....gotta love NY.... How would you go about plating this kinda of area since its a curve and not straight?

This is also a truck I only use to take garbage to the dump about 5minutes away. No towing.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 06:58 AM
IAFF Local 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungGunDiesel View Post
Well the kicker is I already own it sadly. So this isn't a truck I'm "looking to buy" its one I already have in my driveway. And ill go over the rest of the frame in great detail but it seems the remainder of the frame was undercoated and painted regularly aisde from this front bumper area.....gotta love NY.... How would you go about plating this kinda of area since its a curve and not straight?

This is also a truck I only use to take garbage to the dump about 5minutes away. No towing.

Go find a welding shop, they'll straighten you out. However, like stated above, you probably have rot throughout the frame if the front is that bad. Light it on fire and walk away, lol. I wouldn't drive that down my street with rot like that my man. That is seriously dangerous.

2006 Mega Cab Laramie BMS 100's, 5" TBE, Smarty SSR, Back Country 2.0, Full Deavers, Carli Sway Bar, Carli Ball Joints, Synergy Steering, Metalcloaks, Double Standards on 37's. Really I don't like it....
The Following User Says Thank You to ffdino For This Useful Post:
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 07:13 AM

Ouch, That's a tough call. That is not a good area to be rotting out at all.. Like stated above, check out the entire frame as best you can. There probably more hiding under the paint and undercoating. Gotta love salt on the roads for winter! If it was my truck I'd be looking for a donor truck or frame.

01' - 2500 ECSB
Fass 150 titanium, 4" exhaust, Volant intake w/BHAF, TGC +2" control arms, Bilstein 5100's, Leveled, NV4500 swapped, 315-70r-16 Goodyear duratracs,
The Following User Says Thank You to 12valveSilverado For This Useful Post:
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Well I can see the best thing for me to curecently do is to start by taking the truck off the road. This truck though wouldn't be worth putting on another frame. The cab isnt in the worlds best shape. New long bed though. So I guess ill either have to put the motor in my chevy that is currently engine...less... Or find a blow up ram 2500 that has a good frame and body and swap my core parts over. I wish it was as easy as cutting out the bad section of Frame and welding in jeow frame lol

Edit:

When the ground isnt so...squishy... Ill lay under it and review the entire frame and get photos of the whole length to show you guys.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 10:15 AM
Cummins Nut

Wow. I don't think I've seen a frame rot like that before. We salt quite liberally around here and the frame on my 99 still has the original paint and stickees on it up front. The rear end has a bit of surface scale by the spare tire bracket, but that's it.

You could plate it, though with the remaining thickness of material there I'd be worried about penetration and the material rusting through from the back side. I'm thinking it may be better to cut horns off a good frame (if you can find), weld them to yours then weld in flat gussets over the seams. It does lower the strength of the frame, but there's not much force being exerted up there anyways. If I were in your shoes I'd give that a try before saying goodbye to the truck.

Thankfully the front frame horns don't do anything other than hold up a bumper and cooling systems.

As others mentioned, I'd be worried about steering issues, and I certainly wouldn't tow the truck from the frame any time soon

Sent from my ASUS_Z012DC using Tapatalk

1999 Ram 2500 QCLB - SO 24V in front of NV4500 and SB DD 3250. Fresh rebuild with ARP studs, CR head, 150HP F1s, Raptor 100, Quadzilla Adrenaline and soon to be compounds.
The Following User Says Thank You to PTSCummins For This Useful Post:
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTSCummins View Post
Wow. I don't think I've seen a frame rot like that before. We salt quite liberally around here and the frame on my 99 still has the original paint and stickees on it up front. The rear end has a bit of surface scale by the spare tire bracket, but that's it.

You could plate it, though with the remaining thickness of material there I'd be worried about penetration and the material rusting through from the back side. I'm thinking it may be better to cut horns off a good frame (if you can find), weld them to yours then weld in flat gussets over the seams. It does lower the strength of the frame, but there's not much force being exerted up there anyways. If I were in your shoes I'd give that a try before saying goodbye to the truck.

Thankfully the front frame horns don't do anything other than hold up a bumper and cooling systems.

As others mentioned, I'd be worried about steering issues, and I certainly wouldn't tow the truck from the frame any time soon

See that's what I was curious if I could cut the horns off a good donor frame and cut mine off and weld on the new ones and such. But as my username insists. I'm young. And dont know much. Still going through the learning curve here. I am quite worried about the power steering unit being bolted on all of 1cm from a big rot hole. Can't imagine much more than faith is holding that in place. Along with what ever that bracket is going across the front. I don't ever plan to put a plow on this truck. Or any form of weights. Like I stated. I just have this to take my garbage to the dump or grab lumber from home depot. Etc. (Overkill I know to use a cummins for such trivial tasks)

Also thank you guys for your comments. After work ill get frame pictures.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 10:29 AM
Cummins Nut

That stabilizer bar is absorbing a tremendous amount of force. It's not something to trifle with. For the sake of you and everyone else on the road, please don't drive the truck till it's fixed.

Just a disclaimer, I'm not a welder. I have experience but not enough to give you a definite yes/no. Others on here may.

When I was involved in 4btswaps, members were fabricating engine mounts/crossmembers and welding to them to front frames of almost any vehicle you can think of. If a gussetted plate can hold up a 700 lb motor, I can't see any reason why it won't hold up a few hundred pounds of kit.

You do have to pay attention to a few things when frame welding. It's very important to reinforce the correct areas, and weld in a way that you're not warping the frame.

1999 Ram 2500 QCLB - SO 24V in front of NV4500 and SB DD 3250. Fresh rebuild with ARP studs, CR head, 150HP F1s, Raptor 100, Quadzilla Adrenaline and soon to be compounds.
The Following User Says Thank You to PTSCummins For This Useful Post:
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTSCummins View Post
That stabilizer bar is absorbing a tremendous amount of force. It's not something to trifle with. For the sake of you and everyone else on the road, please don't drive the truck till it's fixed.

Just a disclaimer, I'm not a welder. I have experience but not enough to give you a definite yes/no. Others on here may.

When I was involved in 4btswaps, members were fabricating engine mounts/crossmembers and welding to them to front frames of almost any vehicle you can think of. If a gussetted plate can hold up a 700 lb motor, I can't see any reason why it won't hold up a few hundred pounds of kit.

You do have to pay attention to a few things when frame welding. It's very important to reinforce the correct areas, and weld in a way that you're not warping the frame.

Oh of course! Its Deffinitly not leaving my property

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 12:14 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I seen a lot of these trucks rust out here in pa. I seen a really nice 24v with 180000 miles on it have two small holes rusted in the same spot. It was a shame becuse the rest of the truck was clean.
I alway take my pressure washer and flush that area of the frame out on my 96 you won't' beleave the dirt that gets up in there.
Can it be fix yes. Is it worth it probably not
The Following User Says Thank You to pa coal roller For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode