on/off throttle jacking/hammering/jerking noise/feel - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2009, 11:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
on/off throttle jacking/hammering/jerking noise/feel

First off, some pedigree info: My truck is a 2001 5spd manual, 2wd, with just under 80,000 miles on it.

The problem:

When I'm cruising, or acclerating in gear and let off the throttle (no clutch, just let off) there is a sound almost like 2 pieces of metal banging together. This happens at highway speeds in 5th, or at neighborhood speeds in 2nd/3rd/etc. If I abruptly let off the throttle there's a banging/jerking/clang that wasn't there before. I can hear it and feel it in the cab.

If I push in the clutch before letting off the throttle all is smooth. I think this is a driveshaft/U joint issue. What do you guys think?

thanks!
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2009, 11:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

U joints or pinion bearings. Most likely U joints though
Old 11-24-2009, 12:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

set ur parking brake and check em out
Old 11-24-2009, 12:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgecummins5.9 View Post
set ur parking brake and check em out
how do I do that?

I'm a damn good motorcycle mechanic, and I have plenty of tools.

How complicated of a job is this? Or, how much should I expect to pay for a shop to fix this?

thanks y'all.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

I got under the truck and grabbed 2 handfulls of drive shaft, no give. This was in my driveway on an incline and the truck is in gear, so that might be messing me up.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

put your parking break on, block the tires and then check the driveline with the truck in neutral
97 2500 4x4, excab , K&N intake, 4" exhaust, egt,boost,tranny temp on the pillar, 5 star viskus torque converter, converter lock up, stage lll rebuild, #100 plate, 3gsk, boost 30psi, starwheel forward and Smoke screw adjusted for power notomas@yahoo.com
notomas is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2009, 01:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by notomas View Post
put your parking break on, block the tires and then check the driveline with the truck in neutral
ok, stupid question, but with the parking brake on, what's the point of blocking the tires? and how do I check the driveline? Just grab it and shake for all I'm worth?
Old 11-24-2009, 02:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Check the u-joints and see if they are bleeding rust. I had the same condition you are describing on my 06 Dodge and even though the joints felt tight in the truck as soon as I got them apart it was clear what the problem was. The grease was gone and the needles were nothing but rusty powder. New joints solved the problem! You may also want to consider a fifth gear nut problem. I have no experience with the NV4500, but if you are getting noise in fifth gear it may be worth a little bit of research. Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to dodge24 For This Useful Post:
sweatmachine (11-24-2009)
Old 11-24-2009, 08:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

thanks guys. This is def not a 5th gear issue. It does this in every gear, that's why I'm thinking driveshaft, plus I can hear it.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

ok I crawled under there (banged my head on the trans mount, then banged it on the street, now I have 2 big knots on my head, dammit) and I figured out where the problem is. It's at the first U-joint right off the transmission. I'm not to familiar with this, so excuse the lack of correct termage...

here's a pic:

The red arrow indicates where the problem is. It's like a bushing is supposed to be there and it's gone, allowing for some free play in the U-joint which is making the noise and feel I'm experiencing.

What is the fix for this, and how difficult will it be to do myself? I've got plenty of tools and I have tomorrow off work. Another option would be to bite the bullet and pay a shop for this, any ideas on approx what I should expect to pay?

thanks guys!
Old 11-24-2009, 12:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
DieselAutoPower.com

Thanked 1,890 Times in 822 Posts
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
The easiest way to fix it for you would be to take the driveshaft out. It's only 4 bolts on the pinion. Then the slip yoke slides out. Put something under it to catch oil. Then take the shaft to a local shop and have them swap the joints for you. I recommend picking up joints from the dealership as autozone and other parts stores joints are crap.
patracy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2009, 12:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

what's the correct term for the part I need? I called the Dodge dealer and the guy wasn't too sure about what I needed, he thought it was the "Extension Housing Bushing" and it was like $75. I sent him the same pic as I posted here and I'm waiting for his response.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.