best tires for mud and slop - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2009, 09:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Apparently you dont understand that you cant really have both. You either have something thats great in the mud and wont leave you in a field and something that sucks on the highway. Or you get stuck and run great on the highway.

Buy a 2nd set of wheels and swap out when you tow or split the difference with a tire like the KM2.

Jason
JasonY is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2009, 09:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I run Dunlop mud Rovers, and they are good in the snow and mud... i have around 20k on them and still have a good bit of tread left... If i were to do it again i would get the Mickey Thompson MTZ... They are great street, mud, snow, and cow sh!t id imagine.
2007 Ram 2500, Sterling Grill/Badges, RCLB, Auto, Charcoal Grey, 2.5" Leveling Kit, 315/70/16's, AFE Intake, 6" Black stacks,Bully Dog & Edge EZ, Edge CTS Gauges, 20% tint, 7'6" Western Ultramount, LED Strobes.
Mike516882 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2009, 10:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
Future Fly Boy!

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike516882 View Post
I run Dunlop mud Rovers, and they are good in the snow and mud... i have around 20k on them and still have a good bit of tread left... If i were to do it again i would get the Mickey Thompson MTZ... They are great street, mud, snow, and cow sh!t id imagine.
mtz, toyo mt, those cooper mt's...not sure if they come in load e in that size but im sure you could find one of them that does...good road manners and will still chew through the slop...too bad the ground hawgs arent in your size...those things rip and wear like iron cause the compound is pretty darn tough
Gixxer_750 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2009, 12:32 AM   #16 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

The more aggressive the tire the worse its going to wear. A tire that does good in the mud isn't going to wear well on the highway. Personally I would stick to a more aggressive all terrain if the mud isn't that bad, it would have better wear characteristics than a true mud tire.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:16 AM   #17 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Go with Toyo MT I think you can get them as a E too.

Also I got pro comp x-terrains and there good in the mud and actually really good no the road too and are wearing very well.
2001 q-cab 4x4 sport 6 speed swap, 3600SB clutch, SB hydraulics, B1/B2 twins, Mach 7's, Edge juice w hot, fire rings, ARP's, Rips Boot Kit, airdog, BD short shift, Hurst shifter, Dipricol Optix boost gauges, subs, dvd, Fabtech 5.5" dual shock lift, dual shock steering stabilizer, 5" curved top stacks SOLD
sledneck696 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2009, 08:23 AM   #18 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

When I'm in the market for new tires I review The Tire Rack survey results as a source for additional information. Just go to the Tire Rack home page, then pick the category of tire you're looking for from the "Survey Results" link on about the middle of the page on the left and go from there.

Tried to provide you all a link, but it keeps getting hijacked...

Last edited by whoaru99; 11-16-2009 at 08:29 AM.
whoaru99 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2009, 09:34 AM   #19 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

My last two set of tires have been Bridgestone Dueler Revo's. Been great tires. Aggressive, but certainly not a mud tire. They don't howl going down the road, and I got 67k miles out of the last set. I end up backing a 16' trailer into some soft places when I'm delivering cabinets with it and they work well.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:52 PM   #20 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Its either one or the other man. The better the tires are on road the worse off road they will be. An all terrain tire will only work for so long. It will chew up the ground because they WILL gum up so you will have to spin the sh!t out of the tires to clean them. the first time you get stuck you will wish you got the mud tires. You need to have tires with some big deep lugs that will self clean so you don't have to spin them. Maybe you should look into some of the tall n skinny military tires. Or the Ground Hawgs, they are a tuff tire that are good in the mud and they have some heavy ply tires as well.
If it were me I would sacrifice the nice riding long lasting road tires for some noisy mud tires, I know how it is being stuck in mud overnight freezing my ball$ off. It ain't no fun!!!
Slipster is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2009, 10:03 PM   #21 (permalink)
Just Another Slow VP

im runnin procomp mts. they do good when haulin. ive grossed over 25k with em. and the do good on the roads. and ive raced acrossed the pasture with em and they do good in the mud and goo.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:16 PM   #22 (permalink)
DELETE YOUR TURBO!!!!!

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
MICKEY THOMPSON MTZ!!!!!!!!!!! by far the best tire made pricy but worth every penny, oh and they plow through cow sh!t guarenteed
Old 11-16-2009, 10:16 PM   #23 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Toyo MT in the 265-75R16 they come in a E rating and they are quiet on street with good manners, ive hauled trailers and hay with them no prob. You do notice the tread blocks flex a little under torque, i have 22k on them now they are rated for 40k atleased and they are a MT, do good in snow and mud. I like them and would recomend them, if youre talkin real deep nasty mud maybe go with a little wider size. Hope this helps man!!
Old 11-17-2009, 12:03 AM   #24 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

We use the Toyo MT's and still get stuck. The last two winters we have just left the 1994 cummins feed truck chained up on all fours all winter unless we need to go to town with it. Been lucky and haven't stuck it yet with chains. Take ten minutes-then the chains are off. Just part of life around here-just the way it is. Or, like you said earlier-"there is always the tractor".........

Last edited by winch_warrior; 11-17-2009 at 12:14 AM.
winch_warrior is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.