Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Wot in cummins

4K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Whbaseballkyle 
#1 ·
Hey everyone I just have a quick question. In my 01 5 speed cummins long box ext cab on 35s with a built 5 speed 425hp clutch and edge ez and 40hp injects, is it ok to go wot? I usually shift around 2k is that hard on it? With throttle half way down usually is that bad? Let's say I kinda drive it a bit fast but not like a grandpa like my old 99 auto. Just curious, if you did end up driving Wot EVRRYWHERE you went is that bad? Thanks in advance

#2 ·
You should be fine at that hp level. Are you wanting to go WOT everywhere?

#3 ·
You can use WOT if you wish. The only problem I see if the tires and the extra stress it places on the drivetrain. As for my self I use the full range of throttle when needed. I do keep EGT in check while using the full range of throttle. Being I work with Search & Rescue and Fire Dept I'm known to run hard a time or two. I'm closing in on 300k miles and still going.

#4 ·
Ok thanks so these trucks if manual can be pinned when warm obviously and worked pretty hard and last? Like if you had your foot to the floor everywhere you go it would be fine?

#5 ·
I don't find I want to go wot everywhere but I usually shift at 2k and I kind of make it get there as fast as possibly so not wot at 3200k but half-3/4 throttle until about 2k

#6 ·
I guess I don't understand. Why would you need the pedal WOT everywhere you went?

Do you live in the desert or are you 16 years old?

#7 ·
You're certainly not going to hurt the motor. The Cummins is a beast and will stand up to most anything as long as its properly maintained and has adequate fuel pressure. Driving fast isnt a problem either but rather issues are jarring loads can be a problem when combined with more HP and larger tires. So really the weak links will be the drivetrain as generally axles and u-joints and input shafts are first to give away under severe shock loads. As long as you know how to shift and arent subjecting your drivetrain to huge shock load situations, you'll be more than fine.

But I have to ask, whats a "built" 5 speed? Who, where, what, and all that stuff..... :thumbsup:

Reactions: Mopar1973Man
#9 ·
Big input and output shafts, new bearings and synchros, 425hp clutch

#10 ·
Like tonight I ran hard and heavy to fire call about 45 miles from here. Running about +10 over the speed limit. Won't hurt a thing as long as you keep up on inspections and maintenance.

#11 ·
You must have a lot of money. I've watched my overhead drop to 4 mpg going up a hill with the pedal on the floor in 2nd gear with 4.10s. Sounds like you're just young too. I thought the clutch was for braking on my 1st car. Then I got a lesson on clutch R&R and realized that brakes were an easier job than a clutch. You'll learn too - just do it before you wrap around a tree.

#12 ·
My truck design is the best of both worlds. I've got more than enough power to do stupid speeds to run to fire calls. Then I've tuned it just right that when its my time I can drive like a sane man and get mid 20's for MPG. Being everything I do out here is a long distance run. So I pound the throttle to the floor and move along quickly for fire calls or set the cruise and kick back and enjoy the high MPG's.

Reactions: s10010001
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.