nv4500 pops out of first gear - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2009, 07:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
nv4500 pops out of first gear

My truck has started to jump out of first gear at a dead stop taking off from a light or stop sign.I can usally hold the shifter in with very little effort and it will stay engaged and once you are moving it will stay in gear and other gears seem o.k but if you do not hold it in it will jump out into neutral.The trans only has around 12,000 miles since i purchased from standard trans a couple years ago.Does anyone know a repulable manual transmission shop around the Tampa Fl area? I just hate to send it out of state to get repaired when im not that impressed with the one i have they already built for me.Plus it already has the fully splined main shaft installed.Please help im really frusturated with this transmission.Thanks Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2009, 08:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

first gear, what's that? I've been towing 10,000 # for years & have only been in first a handfull of times, mostly steep grades & stump pullin'
2001 3500 2wd dually-juice with att-100 horse dap injectors-fass 95-1/2" lines from tank to IP-ATS propane-40 pound tank-full set of guages-nv 4500-4:10 gears, bhaf, centerforce clutch, 4" exhaust str8 pipe, stacking w/ smarty soon.
rmk4ever is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2009, 08:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmk4ever View Post
first gear, what's that? I've been towing 10,000 # for years & have only been in first a handfull of times, mostly steep grades & stump pullin'
Still doesn't help his problem.
Y2K | NV4500 | NP241DHD | BHAF w/ prefilter | BD Wastegate | Edge Juice With CS Monitor | AirDog II | Dana 80 | Valair Clutch 500/1000 | NC4WD Flat Bed | GM Wheel Cylinders | 3rd Gen Wheels | 3rd Gen Front Brakes | Super HD Track Bar | Skyjacker Rear Springs | NC4WD Pre-Runner Bumper | Bilstein 5100's Front / 7100's Rear | 6" Grand Rock Stack | 35" KM2's | Amsoil Bypass Filter | North Country Rock Sliders | Cummins Coolant Filter | Lots of Ballistic Fabrication Parts | T-Style HD Tie Rod| Heavy 2 Stroke Diet | Updated 5th Gear Nut | Puke Bottle Delete | DSS Steering Stabilizer | Heavy Duty Lower Control Arms
NC4WD is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2009, 08:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

3rd gear did that to me for about 5-6 months, had to have new syncros put in and found that the gear on the counter shaft was chipped , donno how likely that is with first gear tho but deffinatly possible. also pull the shifter out of the case and see how the shift ball looks, ive herd of guys havin problems with them.
99 2500 7inch long arm lift , adreniline/pulse, FASS150, 100hp injectors, sheid .093 lines/tubes, ATS hotrod vp44, mitchell clutch, complete THUREN FAB steering setup, nv4500 w/ torque king kit, detroit lockers front and rear.
WHITE-NOISE is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to WHITE-NOISE For This Useful Post:
Truck Guy99 (12-12-2013)
Old 11-05-2009, 09:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookemupman View Post
My truck has started to jump out of first gear at a dead stop taking off from a light or stop sign.I can usally hold the shifter in with very little effort and it will stay engaged and once you are moving it will stay in gear and other gears seem o.k but if you do not hold it in it will jump out into neutral.The trans only has around 12,000 miles since i purchased from standard trans a couple years ago.Does anyone know a repulable manual transmission shop around the Tampa Fl area? I just hate to send it out of state to get repaired when im not that impressed with the one i have they already built for me.Plus it already has the fully splined main shaft installed.Please help im really frusturated with this transmission.Thanks Jason

hey guys i just bought a 99 made the switch from a auto to a manual and well i got it tues night when i am going down the hwy and let off the gas for sum reason or come down a hill it will pop out of 5 gear. why is it doing this? im kinda new to the manuals i can drive them but have never really played with them. and is it a big problem? andwhat are we looking at for a price to fix?
Old 11-05-2009, 09:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by splinter View Post
hey guys i just bought a 99 made the switch from a auto to a manual and well i got it tues night when i am going down the hwy and let off the gas for sum reason or come down a hill it will pop out of 5 gear. why is it doing this? im kinda new to the manuals i can drive them but have never really played with them. and is it a big problem? andwhat are we looking at for a price to fix?

syncros? had a toyota and s10 that would do that... worn syncros were the issue.
94 12v, 2wd, beefed up AT,#0, pump tweaks, 16*, gauges, in.ex - sold
speedntriple is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2009, 09:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
so do i dare ask what it takes and cost to do syncros?
Old 11-05-2009, 11:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Whoa, slow down! Usually synchros are EXTREMELY hard to damage to that point. If you were able to do that type of damage you wouldn't have many gears left for the synchros to engage.

First make sure there's nothing contacting the shifter-body lift? Debris? Second, look at your motor mounts. This is a common cause of first popping out on all kinds of transmissions. Driveshaft woes can also be an issue, but I think it's impossible to incorrectly index them on these trucks-you can't on mine.

If it's internal, it still is VERY unlikely to be a synchro issue. The shift rails that scoot the shift forks that slide the synchro sleeves have little indentations on them for spring loaded check balls to hold it in place. A broken spring or severe wear on the shift rails could cause this. Most of the shift detents are usually accessible externally. Often one will double duty as a sensor for neutral or reverse.

One other thing that can make it pop out is anything that prevents it from fully engaging the synchro-from obstruction to bent parts/broken roll pins etc.

Fifth is another story, though. The fifth gear on the nv4500 five speed(that went into some of the first gens and a lot of the second gens) has a somewhat notorious issue of the nut on the 5th gear backing off and allowing the gear to wiggle away from the synchro, until it doesn't engage at all. There are update kits to fix it, but if I understand correctly, the shaft needs to be replaced for a proper repair. Do some searches, you will find GOBS of info on this issue.

Hopefully some more knowledgeable folks will chime in on this. I'd really look to simple stuff first on the first gear thing, though. Especially motor mounts. And especially the driver's side one.

PS some transmissions have a bushing in the shift tower that if worn, will prevent full engagement of gears due to the fulcrum (bushing) of the shifter lever being sloppy. Dunno if the 4500 has one. Never worked on one.
01 100hp tips EZ *hybrid* 4"ss BDbrake &steering brace "t"steer delphi tapped &rammed manual CAD 3.55's LSD, 1.375 nv5600/241HD Valair single pc rear ds 265x70r19.5 big rigs 3rd gen brakes Ugly black and thrashed!

Last edited by totalloser; 11-05-2009 at 11:39 PM.
totalloser is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2009, 02:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Head

only time I have 5th pop out of gear is when I hit this steep roller coaster hill heading down and let the speed crank up to about 85 or so, as soon as i get half way up the other side the tranny gives a slight shimmy and next thing I know I'm in neutral. since i rarely hit that speed or travel down that road it has not been to much concern, I just figure the speed and road probably caused the shifter to pop out of place.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for all the suggestions,i will check into motor mounts and trans mount.I never thought about that but it does seem that you can watch the shifter kinda torque maybe a little more than it used to when it pops out. Thanks Jason
Old 11-06-2009, 12:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookemupman View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions,i will check into motor mounts and trans mount.I never thought about that but it does seem that you can watch the shifter kinda torque maybe a little more than it used to when it pops out. Thanks Jason
On the NV4500 this is a classic retaining nut problem. If this is the first time it has done it there is a chance that a repair would hold. But once the nut completely backs off your going to need a new shaft.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:00 PM   #12 (permalink)

So your saying theres a retaining nut that backs off for first gear.I have not heard of this problem i have had 2other nv4500 in my other trucks without any problems now this tranny is another story.What shaft needs replacing? Is this something that was not torqued when i bought it from standard transmission?It also seems when im pulling a trailer with some weight its more likely to pop out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.