Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Changed oil cooler, no oil pressure

11K views 64 replies 14 participants last post by  NicM 
#1 ·
So I just replaced my oil cooler because it was leaking oil into coolant. All back together no oil pressure gaskets are correct they match old ones, mechanical gauge no pressure removed filter it's empty remove cooler to check for a possible blockage nothing. Gota prime it or something? Had oil pressure when I pulled it in

#3 ·
It's got oil in it I just meant no new oil had flown into in it was as full as it was or maybe less

#4 ·
For what it's worth, back in the day, when that happened to our hot rod gassers,sometime if you Crack loose the hose fitting in the back of the guage while turning over the engine it would spit out air then hear comes the oil,tight back up and try...jmo

#5 ·
I'd double check for the right gaskets... Even with an empty oil filter my engine makes oil pressure about 5 seconds after startup... Oil pump is before it so it shouldn't have any trouble priming

#6 ·
Ok so not the smartest idea but I started it with the cooler off and there's nothing there, so I'm thinking oil pump or pickup tube?

#8 ·
Here's a dumb question.... Is there oil in the pan. The oil pump should suck that stuff up no problem. You MIGHT have a hung up relief valve.

#9 ·
Reactions: dodgetruck2
#11 ·
As long as I got the cooler off would it work to pump it down the one of passages?

#13 ·
We got a pneumatic oil pump at work could I just adapt it to the turbo feed hookup on the housing and do that way

We fill fresh overhauls at work that way except Detroit's hook in before the filter to its filtered Atleast but I think our bulk tank has a filter

#15 ·
I'm uncertain about all the other ideas... But either way you need to push oil down to the oil pump not into engine. The turbo fitting I would assume its after the filter so it will not go to the oil pump if so. I'm not certain of the test plug either if its before or after the filter again. This why I suggested what I did so you can get the oil to the pump. I'm not sure if you got to fill the oil cooler to or is it after the filter?

#16 ·
The ports are post filter you can look straight into the filter from the turbo feed, I suppose pressure differential would just force it through the engine not back through the oil pump

#17 ·
Ok so pressure filled the engine through the turbo port then filled the cooler and such like Michael said, filled the filter, nothing, took filter back off and it's empty, filled it tried again, empty filled it a third time tried it, empty but no glimpse at any flow

#18 ·
Pulled oil pump inspected nothing unusual but installed a new one just to know for sure, still no dice, dropping pan now

#19 ·
Thats darned weird... I'd still think it's something to do with the cooler gaskets, but it's funny that the oil filter is getting emptied

#20 ·
Haha Cummins is across the parking lot from my shop, I got them 60 year old guys with 30+ years experience stumped lol

#21 ·
One more thing I'd try is to fire it without having the oil filter on... worth a shot at this point.. If you have a suction gun or something, perhaps try sucking oil up into it so you dont' need the engine running

#23 ·
had a similar situation with an ole boy who knew a former boss...he had changed the oil cooler also(never asked him why, either), and it was a 24 valve...had no oil pressure...so we slapped on a known good old oil pump(we always put new ones on rebuilds), nothing doing...messed around for a while, nothing...wound up putting 5 gallons of diesel in the crankcase, and it did finally get pressure...i wasn't there when bossman done that, so i don't know what the hell he wound up doing after that, but the truck is still going that i know of haha

...he's already tried this

#24 ·
I'm guessing crack in the pickup tube, with that much volume it covered the crack and took prime

Reactions: DodgeMech
#26 ·
Any luck? I had a guy call me who rebuilt a motor and has the same problem.

#27 ·
I work till 10 during the week and work on it after work I was sick of 3am bedtimes when I'm up again at 8, I haven't messed with in a couple couple days, I tried removing pan but couldn't get motor high enough to get it out

#28 ·
#29 ·
Yea that's the process I'm doing just didn't have bolts loose enough to clear the lips and they're rusted into the motor mounts 1 am I snugged pan back up with a couple bolts and said I try another day

#30 ·
This is really concerning me as I have leaking oil cooler gaskets and was just gonna replace the gaskets and cooler all at once.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.