Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Higher Pitched Turbo Whine

768 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Fuze24V 
#1 ·
Hey guy, yesterday i installed an Airdog II DF-100 on my 98.5 4x4 2500 24v cummins automatic with SB intake elbow KN airfilter (po put this on). Stock otherwise

When i am driving now my turbo is whining higher pitched. The truck is running the same (slightly better at idle and improved throttle response bc of the new airdog). I have oil in the truck and as i said everything is normal otherwise. I have checked all hose connections under the hood. Everything is tight.

It is a pain to diagnose further bc it is only happening when i am driving. Boost levels are normal.

The only thing i can think of is better fuel (less air/debris)? That is the ONLY thing that was changed over the weekend. Any feedback/thoughts are appreciated.

#2 ·
Its really hard to diagnose things like this without gauges in the cab telling you whats going on in real time. But that said, there should be no increase in power or any gain felt just by installing the new fuel pump. If you're noticing anything besides a seat of the pants experience then thats a sign that the fuel injection pump timing piston is worn out and wasnt reaching proper fuel timing with the inadequate fuel pressures the old fuel pump was supplying. Unfortunately thats also a bad sign for the injection pump. But again, this is an internet diagnosis..... :thumbsup:

#3 ·
the turbo is breathing better, = more air and a happy turbo. one thing to check is the play in the shaft of the turbo. and look on the housing to make sure its not hitting the housing, you should see little rub line from the compressor wheel if its hitting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.