Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Tranny trouble please help need truck going soon

891 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  bigfish95971 
#1 ·
I have a 2001 ram 3500 cummins with the 47re recently it started out with overdrive light would flash and trans temp light came on and it kick in then out of overdrive

I changed the pressure transducer senor and that fixed that problem.

Then truck wouldn't shift out of 1st changed the speed senor it fixed that problem (for awhile)

Now it doesn't want to go into first at all it starts out in 2nd then every now and then it wants to stay in first then it shifts out and shifts through all other gears as it should stop at a light then it wants to start out in 2nd. Then shut the truck off start it back up and sometimes it will work perfect then when I stop it Dont want to go into first

#2 ·
mine was doing the same thing, i was able to use the lever on the column to manually shift through the gears. i had to come to a complete stop to get into first gear though. most likely your trans is in limp mode for some reason. check codes with either a scanner, the key trick, or bring it to an auto parts store and ask them to scan for you.

#7 ·
Agree with checking for codes. Is not unusual to have bad "new" governor sensors or for repeat failures. Can be frustrating. May need to have it scanned for codes and watch data to see what's going on. BD has a governor retro fit kit that allows going back to early style
(more dependable) governor sensor. Geno's Garage carries them. HTH
James
JTT

#8 ·
Ok I got codes pulled Only code that came up was a throttle positioning senor (p0121)

The truck will either not go into first start out in second or it will start in first and not shift out of it

Its a hit or miss on what it does

#9 ·
Check and clean well all battery terminals and replace any corroded cables or broken ends. Check the alt for AC problems. Double check fluid level.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.