Cummins Diesel Forum banner

auto to manual complete kit

1K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  gh0stman 
#1 ·
#2 ·
also would it be worth it to go with a nv5600 instead? not a tow vehicle, it is a daily driver, sometimes pull a ski boat.

#3 ·
From what little I know I would stick with nv4500, the final drive gear is the same you just get some in between gears to make shifting up easier with a big load. As I recall the nv5600 is much more costly to repair and it weights around 420lbs vs 180lbs for the nv4500. Just my 2 cents but I would go with the nv4500.

#4 ·
ok, thanks thats exactally what i was wondering, if mabye better mpg because of a higher final. still trying to decide on building my 47re or swapping in a manual. looks like about the same price

#6 ·
theres so many different ways to looks at it. and decide what you want.

my brother built his trans himself, auto, all billet shafts, triple disc converter, valve body mods, etc all the goodies for about $3500 in parts, he daily's it, drags, pulls, and its holding up fine to some extreme abuse.

i talked a friend into buying a cummins and his 6 speed went out(knew it was coming and got truck cheap). his went and it was bad, needed everything except a new case. he spent about $3200 for parts and having trans put together.

meanwhile, i have a stock 287k mile nv5600 that i daily drive and pull with, and dumped $2850 on a triple disc clutch....praying that my trans holds up for a couple more years.

As much as i love the manual, if mine goes i may be forced to go auto, since there arent really any upgrade's available for the nv5600 to hold lots of power.

#7 ·
i will be doing all my own work too, and i don't plan on making a ton of power or towing alot. 100hp injectors and edge ez is pretty much it (definatly will not be doing any other upgrades until the 2 year warranty is up on my vp44 ). i think the price between the 2 are going to be so close that im just gonna have to pick one

#9 ·
As someone who has done the swap I would recommend the nv4500 over the 5600. I say this because since you aren't towing often or heavy there's no sense in spending the extra money. Plus 5600's are harder to find parts for. I got mine as a complete kit just had to source my own pedals and drive shaft.

#10 ·
i see you are in alabama, did you have your axles modified, or get a set out of another truck? in either case where did you get them?

#14 ·
I I didn't modify the axles. I just got a new drive shaft. The junk yard was in Birmingham. I forget the name of it. But it was near the dog track.

#11 ·
I'm very curious about that kit and the one that midwest transmission sells. I would really like to swap instead of spending my next 4,000+ dollars on a built 47re. With torque converter lock up issues and a bunch of other garbage. I would like the more reliable option of the nv4500. Throw a nice clutch on and have an awesome daily driver.

What driveshaft is needed for a 98 Quad Cab Longebed auto to nv4500 5 speed?

And is anything needed besides the pedals (junkyard or dealership), and the driveshaft?

#12 ·
Also has anybody ran into any sort of problems down the line with their swap? My dad told me that everybody that he knew that swapped from auto to 5 speed had problems down the road. Electrically wise and mechanically speaking.

#15 ·
Some have problems some don't. But it's right off the bat if you do. Best cure is to retune the truck with a smarty with a manual tune.

Reactions: mykals1
#13 ·
u would need the driveshafts out of a 5 speed truck like yours, or have yours modified, i also need info about the electronics, it seems like several ppl flash the computer to a manual truck, or use a programer, but i have also read where alot of guys end up going back to the auto computer and said it worked as good or better

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.