Front End Popping When Turning - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2009, 10:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Front End Popping When Turning

I bought a 2002 4WD a few weeks ago and have discovered a really loud popping sound from the front end when turning. But the thing that has me stumped is it only does it when 4wd is engaged. It is fine in 2wd or if I am driving straight in 4wd. It has a non-CAD front axle, so I would think that if it is drive train related, the noise would be present all of the time. So I'm not sure if did this before I bought it because I didn't turn it around in 4wd while test driving it.

But my guess is that it was fine. I found this problem out last night when I high centered the front axle on a concrete curb.....long story..and had to use 4wd to get it unstuck. Even though the popping sounds more like gears slipping, I'm betting it is suspension related, because in the process of high centering it, I also bent a lower control arm.

I'm planning to check it out tomorrow after work I, but I was hopping I could get some advise on things to look at. This is my first Dodge or truck without manual locking hubs, so I didn't know if there were things that I should look for.
Frog212 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2009, 11:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Well if your saying the truck is like hoping while in 4wheel drive, are you on pavement? My dads buddy used to full lock his truck on pavement till he nearly tore his front end off. I have heard it is pretty hard on the truck to have it in 4 wheel drive and to full lock the truck
Old 10-25-2009, 11:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

DO not drive in 4wd on dry pavement it may cause damage. I don't know the gear differences between the front and rear maybe someone will chime in. only use 4wd off road,wet or snow. turning in 4wd will make all kinds of racket as you found out the truck doesn't like it.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Yeah i agree 100% mr.b
But if the gearing in the front and rear is different? How can people do boosted launches and not wreck anything or everything? Is it more to do with turning that has the gearing issues?
Old 10-25-2009, 11:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Avoid driving in 4wd on pavement whenever possible. The reason for the popping is that the inside tire front tire is turning slower than the outside front tire but they want to be moving at the same speed. Although the noise you are hearing is "normal" for what you are doing, it is not good.
JDiepstra is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2009, 11:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

It has nothing to do with gearing issues and everything to do with the different speeds of the tires while turning.
JDiepstra is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2009, 11:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Kansas Chapter VP

Hey,

You might want to check the front u-joints as well... Often overlooked and forgotten!!! Might need greased if they have been replaced...

But on dry pavement the truck will hop and act pissed off!!! It's kinda spooky the first time you experience it!!

Remember these trucks have REAL 4wd, not all wheel drive like some others...(i.e. Chevy)!

I do have a stupid question though: What is the difference between a CAD, and non-CAD front end???

Later,
Winslow
Black 2005 Ram 2500 QCLB 4x4 Laramie with '06 front end, NV5600 with Toxic Diesel Shift Knob, Valair Ceramic SIngle disc, Isspro Gauges: Fuel Pressure, EGT, Boost. Bully Dog Outlook, Smarty TNT-R, AirDog 150, 5" exhaust, K&N Air Filter, CFM Intake Horn, HID Headlights, Rear Air Bags, Metal Moto 951 wheels w/ Fierce Attitude MTs... More to come!!
2001 Ram 2500 aka Black Magic, RIP
Prowelder is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2009, 12:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

I agree with the u-joint idea. This is way out there but see if your coil spring on the popping side is bent or cracked, that might make an awful noise like that.

I gotta think about this I know I've had this happen and I'm trying to remember what the hell it was.
Tighten all of your suspension crap, track bar, control arms, anything else you can think of, check your coil springs, check your u joints, check to see if something is binding when you have it at full turn, drive shaft maybe?
Was it converted to manual lock out hubs?

Just throwing ideas at you.
99FiveNine is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2009, 02:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Well didnt he say its only when he is in 4 wheel drive? Could it possibly be your tires rubbing your control arm? My truck made a pretty loud clicking noise when my front u joints went. Im thinking its just the tires turning at different speeds. But best of luck, let us know how it turns out
Old 10-26-2009, 02:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

when i turn mine to the right mostly, all the way it will make a loud pop. dont really know what it is
Old 10-26-2009, 07:48 AM   #11 (permalink)

Thanks for all of the responses. I kinda disregarded the wheel speed differences at first because I don't have this problem with my old Ford. The tires on it will just slip on the pavement, but I guess that's the difference between the weight of a small block and a big ol' Cummins sitting over the front end. But I woke up this morning after a good nights sleep thinking that's the only logical thing.

I don't know on the Dodges if the front and rear have perfectly matched gear ratios. I know that with my old Ford....D44 & 9" that the ratios are a little different. But its 4.09 compared to 4.11s.

Someone may chime in with a better description but the CAD front axles have a two piece passenger side half shaft that is locked together via a vacuum actuated slide ring when 4x4 is engaged and it is unlocked in 2wd.
Frog212 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2009, 10:07 AM   #12 (permalink)
Kansas Chapter VP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog212 View Post
Thanks for all of the responses. I kinda disregarded the wheel speed differences at first because I don't have this problem with my old Ford. The tires on it will just slip on the pavement, but I guess that's the difference between the weight of a small block and a big ol' Cummins sitting over the front end. But I woke up this morning after a good nights sleep thinking that's the only logical thing.

I don't know on the Dodges if the front and rear have perfectly matched gear ratios. I know that with my old Ford....D44 & 9" that the ratios are a little different. But its 4.09 compared to 4.11s.

Someone may chime in with a better description but the CAD front axles have a two piece passenger side half shaft that is locked together via a vacuum actuated slide ring when 4x4 is engaged and it is unlocked in 2wd.
Hey,

What does the non-CAD have??? I thought all the fronts ends were the same???

These trucks behave a little different than some others... difference in transfers and such...

Later,
Winslow
Black 2005 Ram 2500 QCLB 4x4 Laramie with '06 front end, NV5600 with Toxic Diesel Shift Knob, Valair Ceramic SIngle disc, Isspro Gauges: Fuel Pressure, EGT, Boost. Bully Dog Outlook, Smarty TNT-R, AirDog 150, 5" exhaust, K&N Air Filter, CFM Intake Horn, HID Headlights, Rear Air Bags, Metal Moto 951 wheels w/ Fierce Attitude MTs... More to come!!
2001 Ram 2500 aka Black Magic, RIP
Prowelder is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.