Cummins Diesel Forum banner

2001 Cummins recommended rebuild items

1K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  braedon.goruk01 
#1 ·

This is my first post so sorry if I screw anything up, haha. I picked up this 2001 Cummins motor today for $200. I know the history of it pretty well. 560,000 KM on it. Had a hot rod VP for 2 days and the tranny lost 1st and 2nd. From what I have been told the motor hasn't been touched so I'm looking at what my options are to rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
I would say leave the 24V in the body don't use the 12V. Best to leave all the electronics and computer hooked up as normal. When you go down the road of modifying for 12V its get rather troublesome and you might lose more than you bargain for.

As for rebuilding a 24v... They are good for million miles (or 1,609,343km). If your still wanting a rebuild I would go the full meal deal and get everything freshen up. Bores, pistons, rings, bearings, etc.

#3 ·
I would say leave the 24V in the body don't use the 12V. Best to leave all the electronics and computer hooked up as normal. When you go down the road of modifying for 12V its get rather troublesome and you might lose more than you bargain for.

As for rebuilding a 24v... They are good for million miles (or 1,609,343km). If your still wanting a rebuild I would go the full meal deal and get everything freshen up. Bores, pistons, rings, bearings, etc.

Thanks man! The 12V in the picture is actually my buddies that ironically he is putting in a 99 frame. The 24V in the picture is mine and it's going to be dropped into a 1992 Chevy 2500 over the summer. Where's the best place to get these refresh parts and what do you recommend for a bore and all that? I should be tearing into this motor on Monday so I'll have pictures of some more stuff to post

#4 ·
Best I can say is hunt the Internet for rebuild kits that cover what you want to do.

#5 ·
Might be easier if you traded. Either way you need a LOT of electronics to use the 01.

#6 ·
Why rebuild it? If it was running fine and has no issues I'd leave it alone.

If you're dead set on rebuilding it, get read to open the pocket book.

#8 ·
An 01 is 100% controlled by the ECM, VP, APPS, central timer and several engine sensors and electric components to operate correctly. You need all that stuff off an 01 or 02 dodge to make it run right.

#9 ·
Turns out the motor is a 2000. Truck was an 01 but ended up getting a motor swap somewhere down the road. Either way it isn't a big deal cause I got the pcm and harness from the truck as well. All I need now is a clutch, flywheel and transmission. Not sure if I'm going with an NV4500 or ZF6 yet. The motor is going into a late 90's crew cab chev

#10 ·
Are you saying the motor was built in 2000 or it was from a Model year 2000. Most of the 2001 trucks had engines built in 2000. You need the ECM on the block more than anything. Does your engine have a crankshaft sensor in the side of the block behind the starter? If so you need ALL the electronics off of THAT donor truck. Putting any 24v in a different truck is very difficult, due to all the electronic controls. It can be done but total attention to details is absolute. You have to have all the electronics from the proper matching year. You can't use an 01-2 engine with electronics prior to that. There are some threads on here from those who have done it, and some that tried. read up.

#11 ·
Okay, thanks for the help! It does have a crank sensor but so did my friends 98.5 and my other friends 99. I do have all the electronics so it should be good to go for the most part. I'm gonna pull the head off the motor in a couple days here and check out what the cylinders are like, put a new head gasket on and put my 425s to clamp it down if it's all good

#12 ·
If you have the crank sensor then all(most) the earlier(98.5 to 2000) stuff should work. 01-02 will not. Switch all the electronics and harnesses if you can, even the dash cluster and central timer. Don't forget about vacuum vs hydroboost brake issues.

#13 ·
Alright so I got the motor in the shop yesterday morning. Cleaned it all up, pulled the whole harness off and ECM and realized it was the 01 wiring so from what I've read I need pretty much every harness in the truck to make this thing run on its own, so I'm gonna look for a 1998.5-00 harness and ECM and swap it on with a crank position sensor. Head is coming off today, all accessories and front cover will be coming off today as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.