Transfer case problems - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2009, 12:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Transfer case problems

When my truck is up to highway speeds 45+ I get a bad vibration. If I shift into 4hi the vibration goes away. I think I am in the need of a rebuild. The case is a 241 DLD.
Is anyone knowledgable about these cases or know what could be causing this vibration?
Also do many guys pull with this transfercase or are they swapped out for a NP205?
Slipster is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2009, 01:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rescue Tower

Thanked 1,739 Times in 1,268 Posts
You driving that on asphalt in 4 low at 45 mph?? Just looking for clarification as to what you are doing.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
VP Moderator

Thanked 1,330 Times in 1,146 Posts
NP205. Is that not the old full time iron horse. To each his own I suppose.
When you put in 4HI your are loading the driveline and can't vib. Look for loose and worn drive line components first. U joints, diff assy, ect. Could it be a bad tire or balance??
What ever it is in transfer case will be apparent once you get into it.
2008 3500 stock QCLB dually Inferno red. Toys: Fuel injected Rampage, Road Grader, 1586 tractor, 60K genset, Honda ATV, and more. Back in business with a Hitachi EX270LC excavator. The dirt slinging has begun with 50+ acres to clear.
dozer12216 is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2009, 04:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

NP205 is old iron part time. NP203 is the old iron full time.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shainer View Post
You driving that on asphalt in 4 low at 45 mph?? Just looking for clarification as to what you are doing.
You've peaked my curiousity too. Are you driving in mud or snow? Drag racing or pulling? Or did you just try it for troubleshooting reasons?
Old 09-19-2009, 02:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

While driving down the road (asphalt)the truck all of a sudden developed a bad vibration. It seems like as soon as the tourque converter locks up is when the vibration gets worse. I could feel the vibrations through the 4 wheel drive shifter so I pulled it back into 4 HI while driving and the vibration stopped and the truck smoothed out. I pulled the front driveshaft and the vibration was still there. Even if I shift into 4HI.
The NP 205 is an all gear cast iron case no chain and no aluminum. It came divoriced and attached to the transmission. When divoriced the truck uses a 2 wheel drive tranny with the driveshaft going to the transfer case. It only came divoriced on some Dodges and the Ford hi boy. With a divoriced case you could move the transfer case back to help with balancing out the truck and shortening the rear driveshaft. The one downside besides the weight is the 1.96 low range. The 241 has a 2.72 low range.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipster View Post
When my truck is up to highway speeds 45+ I get a bad vibration. If I shift into 4hi the vibration goes away. I think I am in the need of a rebuild. The case is a 241 DLD.
Is anyone knowledgable about these cases or know what could be causing this vibration?
Also do many guys pull with this transfercase or are they swapped out for a NP205?
you do not want to sled pull with a 241 dld; there just not going to hold up. the slipped yoke on the driveshaft that slides into the rear of the transfer case is your week link. if you still want to keep a slip yoke style driveshaft/transfer case, just upgrade to the 241 DHD; its still a slip yoke style; just much stronger and bigger tailshaft. you'll have to have the right end put on your driveshaft for that bigger tailshaft. you can find a 241 DHD in any dodge ram 3500 dually.
however; my recomendation(if your makein a lot of torque and horsepower) just go with either the gear to gear like some are saying. or go with a 271 D transfer case with a fixed yoke on the rear.....you'll have to shorten your rear driveshaft and put the fixed yoke end on the driveshaft. their the kind that bolt to the transfer case instead of just slip in. this way if you snap the rear drivshaft, you can still get the truck on the trailer without losing any tranny fluid. they are also much stronger and will take much more abuse. the 271 D is still chain drive but very reliable. they will bolt right up to any dodge 4wheel drive transmission from 1994-2002; most you'll have to do is just lower your skid plate bracket, but it don't take much. and also have the rear driveshaft refabbed....the front driveshaft will bolt right up, no fabbing needed to front shaft. need any more info just holler.
Dieselholic is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2009, 08:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Well I figured out what the vibration was and its not the transfercase. When I dropped the driveshaft I found the front end was not engaging in 4 wheel drive. I pulled the cover on the center axle disconnect and the shifter fork was busted, I could move both axles all over the place and there is no fluid whatsoever only thick grease with busted bearings and the shift fork. So my vibration is from the axles just wobbling around in the housing. Time for a front end rebuild.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.