Sputter, miss, cut out!!!! - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2009, 02:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Oregon Chapter President

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Sputter, miss, cut out!!!!

My friend has a 2001 CTD. I'm trying to help him figure out something on his truck. His truck is cutting out, and sputtering at various rpms, whether under load, or at idle sporadically and intermittent. Like how a gas engine will misfire. Has once died at a red light. There seems to be no loss of power at the wheels, and it starts up just fine every time. About three weeks ago he got the p0216 death code for the vp44, so about two weeks ago we swapped in a newly rebuilt one, and added a FASS 150series/95gph water/air separator which replaced the stock lift pump. After all the install was complete, we cleared the code and took it for a test drive. No codes came back, fuel pressure at idle was 16psi and around 12psi WOT I think, and it seemed to run great. A week goes by, and he gets the code P0370 Fuel Injection Pump Speed/Position Sensor Signal Lost. Did some research and seems like that code is only associated with pump failure, but how it's brand new?! So, we decided to clear the code and see if it came back. That was early this week, and it has not come back, but the problem still continues. He says he's not sure if it's just coincidence, but on sunny warm days it does it the most. Do you have any ideas?

I was at first thinking a pin on the pump, or something with the wire harness, but all checks seem to show nothing wrong. Thought maybe he was sucking air from somewhere in the fuel line(s), but can't seem to find one. Reset the APPS already. Think it could be a MAP sensor, ECT Sensor, IAT sensor, or camshaft sensor.

Also, I was doing some reading and found out that Fords have had an issue with sensors that still operate within a set voltage range for the ECM, but overall are failing to sensor. Has anyone every heard of this happening with trucks like ours? Could this explain why there is no DTC present?

Thanks for your help and advice!
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2009, 06:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Oregon Chapter President

back to the top
Old 08-30-2009, 11:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

My truck is doing the same thing it seems. I just installed an Airdog 150 on my truck and now it is cutting out and dying at random. Hopefully somebody can let us know what the problem is.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

when the truck starts acting up does it smoke?
Old 08-30-2009, 11:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
www.Mopar1973Man.com

Thanked 3,117 Times in 2,421 Posts
Maybe its a bad rebuild... Time to call about warranty...

Its a electronic failure internally on the VP44 there is nothing you can do to fix this problem unless you got a injection pump test bench...

Mopar1973Man is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Mopar1973Man For This Useful Post:
Electric_Cowboy (09-01-2009)
Old 09-01-2009, 03:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Oregon Chapter President

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24vman View Post
when the truck starts acting up does it smoke?
Doesn't smoke when acting up.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Oregon Chapter President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar1973Man View Post
Maybe its a bad rebuild... Time to call about warranty...

Its a electronic failure internally on the VP44 there is nothing you can do to fix this problem unless you got a injection pump test bench...
Finally! Thank you, I swear I thought the same thing too. Glad to see I'm not off my rocker.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Oregon Chapter President

Update... as far as I know he sent it overnight back to Thoroughbred Diesel. We pulled it on Sunday, and before that it sat for the last few days. He wasn't gonna try to drive it and get stranded somewhere if it decided not to start cause I think on Friday it died four or five times on him just trying to get it running in his driveway.

So, we all think it's the pump. I talked to Thoroughbred Diesel today and they mentioned something about the IAT sensor, but the p0370 code says it all. So I think they need to replace it. They're gonna put it on a bench for 4 hours supposedly, and if it fails they'll overnight one back. If it passes he has to cough up $250 for the bench time and they'll send it back. What kind of crap is that? This place claims they get less than 1% of pumps returned due to defect. Do they really think we're pulling their chain or something here? Do they think we enjoy pulling and putting these things in? Also, what part of intermittent do they not understand? I'm gonna be pissed if they say they ran it and got no problems, cause all this stuff started happening after we put that "new" pump in on his truck.

Sorry for the rant, but it really bugs me. People plop down their hard earned cash for something, and when it doesn't seem to be working right, and you've exhausted every measure to remedy the problem before leaning on your warranty, and they come at you with this? Just pisses me off, almost regret recommending them to him.

Last edited by Electric_Cowboy; 09-01-2009 at 03:40 AM.
Electric_Cowboy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2009, 10:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
www.Mopar1973Man.com

Thanked 3,117 Times in 2,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric_Cowboy View Post
Update... as far as I know he sent it overnight back to Thoroughbred Diesel. We pulled it on Sunday, and before that it sat for the last few days. He wasn't gonna try to drive it and get stranded somewhere if it decided not to start cause I think on Friday it died four or five times on him just trying to get it running in his driveway.

So, we all think it's the pump. I talked to Thoroughbred Diesel today and they mentioned something about the IAT sensor, but the p0370 code says it all. So I think they need to replace it. They're gonna put it on a bench for 4 hours supposedly, and if it fails they'll overnight one back. If it passes he has to cough up $250 for the bench time and they'll send it back. What kind of crap is that? This place claims they get less than 1% of pumps returned due to defect. Do they really think we're pulling their chain or something here? Do they think we enjoy pulling and putting these things in? Also, what part of intermittent do they not understand? I'm gonna be pissed if they say they ran it and got no problems, cause all this stuff started happening after we put that "new" pump in on his truck.

Sorry for the rant, but it really bugs me. People plop down their hard earned cash for something, and when it doesn't seem to be working right, and you've exhausted every measure to remedy the problem before leaning on your warranty, and they come at you with this? Just pisses me off, almost regret recommending them to him.
I guess they don't want your return business then after all...

Mopar1973Man is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2009, 10:24 AM   #10 (permalink)

I have 500 miles on my new Industrial Diesel pump and the truck died in my driveway this morning. The truck fired right back up, died 80 feet out of the driveway and started back up and I drove it 12 miles to work. It sounds just like your problem. The truck did not smoke it didn't stumble, it acted just like when the vp44 died on the highway, but starts back up.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:48 AM   #11 (permalink)
Oregon Chapter President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar1973Man View Post
I guess they don't want your return business then after all...
My thoughts exactly!
Old 09-02-2009, 12:51 AM   #12 (permalink)
Oregon Chapter President

I guess they called him today after they had it on the bench. The computer caught it right away, something about a bad IAT sensor inside the pump. Didn't even know that they had that sort of sensor inside them. That is if IAT stands for the same thing on the block. Anyhow, they are going to over night it back to him with the issue fixed. Keep your fingers crossed that it works right this time. I'll keep ya posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.