Transfer case stuck 1/2 way between gears - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2009, 12:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Transfer case stuck 1/2 way between gears

Just put 5th gear back on. After re-assembly, started it up and the transfer case seemed to get caught half way between 2h and 4h. Discovered a vacuum problem and fixed it. Now how do I get it to fully engage in either 2h or 4h?
lyndsey is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2009, 03:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Try rocking the truck while pushing on the lever. If that doesn't work something wasn't reassembled properly.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Is the set screw on the shift leaver linkage in the right spot on the rod coming out of the TC? Maybe loose? Does it feel like its shifting when you move the shifter?
02 Ram 2500 | NV5600 | Carli LK & C.Arms| Borgeson SB & Shaft | DSS SB Brace & 3rd Gen Trac Bar | 09+ "T" Style Set-up | Adrenaline | SouthBend SD | 5" MBRP TBE | BHAF | Isspro | AD150 | 35x12.5x17 | High Idle Fooler
tonka-truck is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2009, 09:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
VA Chapter VP

shut truck off move t-case handle into 4h-2h see if it moves again it might be your linkage improperly adjust or reassembled wrong

1999 dodge dually QDCB LNBD 4x4 auto. D/D tow truck.

And on the 8th day God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "I need a caretaker!". So, God made a farmer!
"BIGRIG2000" is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2009, 09:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

it feels like it is shifting, but only between 2h and 4h, won't go into N or 4h. Vacuum pressure changes along with 2h/4h and front axle locks in/out too. someone suggested I might have gears out of sync in the tcase. I will not have help to rock/try to shift until saturday as it's on a declined driveway right now It shifted through all 4 easily before starting it (so i don't think it's the lever), but had bad vac pressure and didn't realize it.
I think I might have to get into the transfer case. I've read threads stating "its possible to do while still on the truck" and "it's not rocket science". I'll dig through the manual more tonight.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rescue Tower

Thanked 1,813 Times in 1,321 Posts
What all did you do with the transfer case? Did you split the transfer case? Check out page 2488/2889 of the manual for the lever adjustment procedure. Of course it asks you to raise the vehicle, but you can disconnect the drive shafts to get the same results, just make sure to chock the wheels or it will take a trip down the driveway with you probably wrapped around the drive shaft. Try spinning both front and rear outputs and move the lever first to see what happens. Let us know what you find out.

Last edited by Shainer; 08-26-2009 at 01:45 PM.
Shainer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2009, 09:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

who's dog is drivin', shainer? what do you mean what did I do to it? I jacked it up that's what I did, thanks to some not-so-helpful advice I received from someone who will remain nameless. I need to get one of those bad advice filters installed on my head instead of this hand
I waved sadly goodbye tonight as it took a ride to the 4x4 shop on a tow rig. Thankfully it's very close to the new house and he's charging me $50 instead of our guestimated $150 for towing. Will keep you up to date with status of "garage repair gone wrong".
Old 08-26-2009, 09:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rescue Tower

Thanked 1,813 Times in 1,321 Posts
Right on. Always sad to see it on a tow truck though. I was trying to get all the details out there for better answers. Guess we will know soon enough. Hopefullly its a simple lever adjustment.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.