compression or blow by test - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2009, 03:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
compression or blow by test

I'm trying to find out why my truck is a lack of power. Ive read on forums about blow by test and about compression test what one is more accurate to determine engine wear.
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2009, 03:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
www.Mopar1973Man.com

Thanked 3,013 Times in 2,336 Posts
Compression test...But low power problems are normally fuel related... But if the rings were bad you'd see alot of blow-by oil mist out of the crankcase vent...

Did you check for error codes?

What's you fuel pressure like?

Mopar1973Man is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2009, 11:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

I dont now how to test fuel pressure but just put vp44 on 2 months ago. is it hard and exspensive to check fuel pressure or not important
Old 07-08-2009, 12:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
www.Mopar1973Man.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999mudder View Post
I dont now how to test fuel pressure but just put vp44 on 2 months ago. is it hard and exspensive to check fuel pressure or not important
Fuel ressure is critcal function to power and lifespan of the VP44... As for checking you need a gauge in the cab and check the pressure under load...

Gauges

Here is the fuel pressure specs...
Lift Pump Diagnostics

Old 07-08-2009, 12:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Sorry thought you were talking about injector preesure when I did the vp44 I put new lift pump and low fuel pressure light. the light never comes on even under load.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Fuel pressure is VERY important on these engines. Your VP44 gets ALL of its cooling and lubrication from the fuel provided by the lift pump. If the lift pump isn't giving you 10-20 psi at all times, your VP44 will soon fail. A failing lift pump could cause your lack of power, and might explain why your last VP44 went out.

You can test fuel pressure with an external test gauge, but your best bet is to get a fuel pressure gauge installed on your truck. You can get a Glowshift electric FP gauge for about $60, and a single gauge column mount for about $30-35. I'll post a picture of this setup below.

If you do find that your lift pump is out, you should really consider an upgrade. The stock replacements are barely adequate at best. An Airdog or FASS system would be a much better choice. Much better fuel flow and filtration with a lifetime warranty.

1998.5 24v 3/4 ton 4wd quad cab long bed 209,xxx miles, Airdog 100, Adrenaline with IQuad, BHAF, 6" Aussie stacks (thanks to FBD) with custom heat shield, auto trans rebuilt for towing, Hornblasters 240 Shocker, occasionally tows 35' 5th wheel...
BuffaloLake is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2009, 12:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I would hesitate to point the finger at the engine compression. Not likely. If the engine doesn't make adequate compression, it will have a tough time starting. Once running it should make power even if the rings are worn. If you have a bad valve, the engine will have a "miss" and cracking injector lines will determine which one it is.

But most likely it's either an air delivery issue, or fuel delivery issue. I'd check all the turbo boots, feel around the exhaust manifold for leaks, and if you haven't, scan for codes. Can't hurt to check fluid levels and conditions, either, especially the transmission.

If you have a boost leak, or preturbo exhaust leak, the boost sensor will prevent fueling, making your rig anemic until it revs up. Otherwise, +1 to above responses.
01 100hp tips EZ *hybrid* 4"ss BDbrake &steering brace "t"steer delphi tapped &rammed manual CAD 3.55's LSD, 1.375 nv5600/241HD Valair single pc rear ds 265x70r19.5 big rigs 3rd gen brakes Ugly black and thrashed!
totalloser is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2009, 12:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Sorry Mike, I guess that I need to type faster. Your response wasn't up when I started typing that last one.
Quote:
Sorry thought you were talking about injector preesure when I did the vp44 I put new lift pump and low fuel pressure light. the light never comes on even under load.
Was the lift pump a factory one or an aftermarket? I believe that the warning lights don't come on until the fuel pressure drops below 5 Psi, much lower than you want it.
1998.5 24v 3/4 ton 4wd quad cab long bed 209,xxx miles, Airdog 100, Adrenaline with IQuad, BHAF, 6" Aussie stacks (thanks to FBD) with custom heat shield, auto trans rebuilt for towing, Hornblasters 240 Shocker, occasionally tows 35' 5th wheel...
BuffaloLake is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2009, 01:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar1973Man View Post
Compression test...But low power problems are normally fuel related... But if the rings were bad you'd see alot of blow-by oil mist out of the crankcase vent...

Did you check for error codes?

What's you fuel pressure like?

Is this where the puke bottle normal is? Ive extended the hose down further, and when my engine is running there is mist out of the bottom. Does this mean my rings are bad?
Old 07-08-2009, 01:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

[QUOTE=GuN_Sm0k3;1775209]Is this where the puke bottle normal is? Ive extended the hose down further, and when my engine is running there is mist out of the bottom. Does this mean my rings are bad?[/QUOTE

Mist and vapour are normal, as there is nothing stopping the air from being pushed out of the engine thats in the crankcase, lots of smoke and heavy mist is a different story, that would be compression gasses leaking past the rings. usually if its that bad there are other issues that go with it like hard starting and heavy oil consumption.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:24 AM   #11 (permalink)
www.Mopar1973Man.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloLake View Post
Sorry Mike, I guess that I need to type faster. Your response wasn't up when I started typing that last one.

Was the lift pump a factory one or an aftermarket? I believe that the warning lights don't come on until the fuel pressure drops below 5 Psi, much lower than you want it.
Correct I've also got a warning light too... It a Cummins pressure switch set at 3 PSI... So like if I didn't have a gauge I got be starting/idling at way below 10 PSI and droping to 4-5 PSI and still never trip the light...

Low pressure light are fine to grab your attenetion but the DO NOT replace a fuel pressure gauge by no means. The lowest pressure the VP44 can handle is 10 PSI...

So back to my orignal question what you fuel pressure like on the highway at WOT?

YouTube - Stable fuel pressure - AirDog 150

Testing you fuel pressure is that easy... Get up to 55 MPH put you foot to the floor and see what it drops to if the needle falls below 10 PSI your in trouble.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.