Changing differential fluid - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2007, 05:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Changing differential fluid

I'm going to change my diff fluid in the front and rear this weekend. I was curious if most people just drain and refill? Or do you clean it out with something like some brake cleaner, and then blow out with air, and then refill.

Also what fluid should I be using?

Thanks
Edge Comp, BHAF, Pyrometer, Tranny Temp, Boost, and Fuel Pressure Guages from Isspro
Suncoast Tranny and Triple Disc Convertor
http://www.hoeslidiesel.com/hdhp.htm
SMOKNISB is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2007, 10:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

i would like to know as well i have a 4.10 rear ( does that make it a LSD ? )

Help Support CumminsForum.com by upgrading to Premium Membership
blk90s13 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2007, 10:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I believe if you tow you should use 75w140. If you don't you can go 80w90 I believe.
Front will use 75w140 for sure.
You can have a LSD on any gear set. In your glove box, there should be a sticker stating if you have LSD.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

i just did my rear not all that long ago and i used AMSOIL 80-90 full synthetic..that gear oil is ok for a LS diff...i drained , cleaned with brake-parts cleaned blew out with air gun and refilled.....i bought a 1gal container and there is about 1inch left in the bottom of the container....my rear is the dana 70.....i believe the dana 80 hold more oil...
2001 ram 2500 QC, LB, 4x4, auto, 3 inch susp lift, 285/75r16 bridgestone dualer a/t revo`s mounted on 16x8 mickey thompson classic 2 rims, 4.10 gears, dual 4in straight pipe exhaust w/ 5inch tail pipes, edge EZ stacked w/ blue chip FMS, hot rod VP44 injection pump, holley black FP, AFE stage 1, turnbuckle on wastegate, silence ring MIA, triple pillar isspro gauges boots,egt,FP, goerend triple disc converter and valve body.......
aredcrow is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2007, 02:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

I usually drain mine, and clean it out good with brake cleaner (at least 1 big can). There is a magnet in the bottom of the rear diff, clean that off good with a lint free cloth. Clean the cover off and paint the outside as well. Use blue or grey RTV to seal it back up.

Rear takes around 5 quarts to fill and make sure you use a bottle of limited slip additive from the dealer. 80W90, 75W140 - your choice - Synthetic in the rear is the best way to go.

Last edited by Dr. Evil; 01-11-2007 at 02:56 PM.
Dr. Evil is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2007, 03:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Like posted, drain and clean. Lint free rags are a must in here. Clean the inside first, so while you clean the cover the inside can dry while you clean the cover.

Some say 75W-140, but I think not. If using a quality Synthetic, you will have no issues towing with 75W90 unless you are towing WAY too heavy. Amsoil comes LSD compliant, but you MAY have to add a small amount of additive. Only way to tell is to fill it and make a series of very tight figure 8 turns and listen and feel for rear end chatter.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

I dont think I have a limited slip. How can I tell for sure? I can spin on of the rear tires pretty easy. And when up on a lift, I can spin one and the other will spin the oposite direction. This means its an open diff correct? Should I still stick with full sythetic? So can I get away with a 75w90 on both the front and back? I dont do any towing, but I might this summer. It wont be alot of weight though.
Edge Comp, BHAF, Pyrometer, Tranny Temp, Boost, and Fuel Pressure Guages from Isspro
Suncoast Tranny and Triple Disc Convertor
http://www.hoeslidiesel.com/hdhp.htm
SMOKNISB is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2007, 05:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Sounds like you have an open diff, and you will be plenty fine on 75W-90 Amsoil. As for the other gear lubes available, I really can't comment on the protection they afford.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
www.Mopar1973Man.com

Thanked 3,027 Times in 2,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKNISB View Post
I'm going to change my diff fluid in the front and rear this weekend. I was curious if most people just drain and refill? Or do you clean it out with something like some brake cleaner, and then blow out with air, and then refill.

Also what fluid should I be using?

Thanks
First off go out for a good drive. Get the diffs nice and hot. The take it home. Get a bucket that can hold at least 2 gallons for the rear diff. Pop the cover off and let it drain. Go have a snack or lunch. Then wipe out the inside of the dif with a rag to get the last bit out. Clean everything up. Grab some silcone and run a bead on the cover and bolt it up. Fill the diff with lube.

I just done a thread here about changing gear lube early and often. I found that with the cold weather, snow, rain etc... You need to change it often. My front axle had a good quantity of water in the lube.

This what happen if you dont change fluid often enough... I'm changed my schedule to 20K miles to reduce the chance of getting water in the fluid again...

I've been using Dino 80W-90 gear lube for 95K miles and no problems. It cost me only $40 buck for 5 gallon bucket... Really good deal! :thumbsup

Mopar1973Man is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Mopar1973Man For This Useful Post:
texasborn01 (10-07-2009)
Old 01-13-2007, 12:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
RJF
Cummins Enthusiast

75W-90 for your application, synthetic and don't even mess with Dino oil.

Use a paper cover gasket WITH a light bead of silicone to hold it in place. Don't just use sylicone, it will usually seep.
2006 3500srw Mega cab, laramie, Bully Dog PMT &RFI, 6" lift/33" Toyo mt's/Weld Cheyennes. 2001.5 Ram 2500 4x4. Red Sport LB QC, black leather, billet everything. Edge HOT Juice/5"exhst/ PDQ 3 disc/Suncoast VB.
RJF is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2007, 12:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
www.Mopar1973Man.com

Thanked 3,027 Times in 2,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJF View Post
75W-90 for your application, synthetic and don't even mess with Dino oil.
I can buy a 5 gallon bucket of gear lube for 40 bucks and change the gear lube often to help keep the water out. Which Synthetics are too expensive to dump early and often... I sure I can't get synthetics that cheap...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJF View Post
Use a paper cover gasket WITH a light bead of silicone to hold it in place. Don't just use sylicone, it will usually seep.
I've got 95K miles and NEVER had a leak with just a bead of silcone sealing the diff cover.

Mopar1973Man is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Mopar1973Man For This Useful Post:
texasborn01 (10-07-2009)
Old 01-13-2007, 12:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar1973Man View Post
First off go out for a good drive. Get the diffs nice and hot. The take it home. Get a bucket that can hold at least 2 gallons for the rear diff. Pop the cover off and let it drain. Go have a snack or lunch. Then wipe out the inside of the dif with a rag to get the last bit out. Clean everything up. Grab some silcone and run a bead on the cover and bolt it up. Fill the diff with lube.

I just done a thread here about changing gear lube early and often. I found that with the cold weather, snow, rain etc... You need to change it often. My front axle had a good quantity of water in the lube.

This what happen if you dont change fluid often enough... I'm changed my schedule to 20K miles to reduce the chance of getting water in the fluid again...
You make a great point, and I agree completely. You need to regulary service the diffs. I still hold my ground, however, that the quality synthetic oils still offer more wear protection and better performance (mileage/heat).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.