Fuel Leak from tank module, Rollover Valve loose? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2009, 12:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Leak from tank module, Rollover Valve loose?

Hey All,

2002 RAM 2500 Ext cab short box.

Couple days ago after I was done driving I noticed a hissing sound coming from my fuel tank. (1/2 tank of fuel)

Next day I had a really hard start, but truck ran fine. I then filled it up and drove home. I had the same hissing sound except now I noticed that there was fuel all over the bottom of the tank, over my drivers leaf spring etc.

I checked the service manual and I took a look at the tank module. My rollover valve is pointing to the passenger side and I can push it back and forth, like it's loose. Is this right? Picture in the manual shows it pointing to the drivers side. On my tank the rollover valve doesn't look like the one in the picture (attached is it) I have a piece of plastic that sticks up that prevents me from turning the thing to the drivers side.

Also when I started my truck there is air moving in (or out?) of the rollover valve, if I put my finger on it it stopped. So the hissing that I heard is the rollover valve.

How do I replace this thing. What exactly does it do? In the event of a vehicle rollover it does something, I get that. Can I just plug it? Same question: fuel leak

Thanks,

Jesse

Last edited by popcicle90; 04-18-2011 at 03:41 PM.
popcicle90 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2009, 12:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I just went through this. What i found is my roll over valve will move a bit but WAS NOT the cause of the fuel coming out of the tank at 1/2 tank. The actual cause of it was pressure accumulating in the tank. Mopar1973Man helped me diagnose this. I believe the problem was from using Power Service winter additive as it had never happened before. Installing a true vented gas cap (not an equalizing) will allow the vapor to escape and fixed the problem for me.

However it could be your rollover valve leaking from fuel slosh, but i would think it would be more noticeable with a full tank.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ya didn't have any fuel leak at 1/2 tank, only the hiss sound. At full tank I had fuel leak out which I thought to be slosh. With the truck running at idle I didn't see any leaks.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Might try resealing it, i have no clue where to get the seals. Dodge doesn't sell them they have complete fuel tank "modules" for $400 though.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm thinking auto wrecker for a new module or rollover valve and I'll go pick up a new o ring for the module, since they say to replace it in the service manual. I swapped gas caps with my dads diesel and it didn't make a difference, still there is constant air going into the rollover valve when the truck is at idle. The only way I can stop it is if I take the cap off totally. I figure they the valve has just gotten weak.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

So with my finger on the rollover valve and the truck idling I can stop the air from moving, but the vacuum (or pressure, I can't tell) builds. If I turn the truck off with my finger on the valve I start seeing bubbles pop up along the tank modules locknut. I read somewhere that there is a vent on the tank module, I'm not sure if this applies to the 2002 year. If so and it's plugged with dirt this would explain some things. If I take the cap off the tank I get a whoosh of air. Any idea if there is a vent on the module or tank?
Old 03-29-2009, 04:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
all the rollover valve is there to prevent fuel from comming out the tank obviously when the truck rolls over, i do believe its suppose to help vent/relieve vacuum but im not certain, I had a problem where my truck would have hard starts and act like it was starving for fuel after it sat a while, well one day i went to fuel it up and once I opened the fuel cap it was like the tank was under a vacuum, so now I just have the fuel cap on loosly so that it can vent and until I can pull the bed and check all the vents.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

So I dropped the tank and took a look. Everything seems ok, the rollover valve, from what I gather is simply a check valve. It vents the tank normally and if the truck rolls over the check valve closes and stops the fuel from running out the vent. The rollover valve if you push down and turn it 90 degrees from where it sits, it will pop right out, kinda like a medication bottle lid... too bad I didn't know that until after the tank was out. Also doesn't matter which way it points, drivers side or passenger.

Also something that I didn't expect was that there is a fuel pump in it. The user manual for the 01 actually says "An electric fuel pump is not used in the fuel tank" so in 02 did they do something different? There is 4 wires leaving the connector on the top, 2 for the float and 2 for the pump. There is a tube leaving it going to the fuel out connector. What else could it be?

The fuel that I see, could it simply be that I filled it up the neck and it spashed out. I only drove down the highway. There was a lot of diesel, like all down the fender all over the leaf spring and dripping from the bottom of the tank.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Linked is a picture of it: http://209.97.219.2/www/fuel_module.jpg doesnt look anything like this one http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98...tallation.html
Old 03-30-2009, 01:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
all 2nd gens and some early 3rd gens had either a engine mounted pump or a filter housing mounted pump, but to help fix the overheating of the pumps and make life easier, they made a retrofit kit to put it in the tank, thus keeping it cooler and its easier to pull the fuel instead of pulling it.

The 4 wires are used for the stock fuel sending unit, the retrofit kit, and also on the gasser models they have the intank fuel pump also so its a one size fits all since its cheaper to do it that way.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

What's the trick to getting the fuel module apart? My module was caked with disintegrated float particles, and I was gonna try to clean it out. I was thinking the two ends were "clipped" together, but when I pried on what I thought should release the clips, I thought I might break some plastic part and have to replace the whole module. Does it just pop apart, or does it take some force to separate?

I installed a Draw Straw II so I dint need to use the module anyway...but for next time...

- djb
Old 03-30-2009, 10:07 AM   #12 (permalink)
VP Moderator

Thanked 1,366 Times in 1,178 Posts
hey guys, I may have missed the boat, but!!! IMO::: In a fuel storage and delivery system such as the DD has it appears: 1. The system does not make air other than a minor amount due to heat and expansion. In a gasser you can build consideable pressure due to volitility of gasoline (it vaporizes) flowing repeatlly through system. Now diesel does flow repeatlly through system and picks up heat of engine compartment, IP and cyl head. This heat should equalize at some point but not build significant pressure.
2. If LP was pulling in air into system that could cause a continuing source of air pressure into tank. However the aireated fuel would also go through IP and you know what happens when air gets into high pressure fuel system. At best it don't run well, so that sort of releases that ideal as your problem.
3. Now, what about a injector seal (copper washer) allowing very small amount of combustion leak into return fuel system. That is where gasses would go from copper washer leak isn't it???? A simple test would be a clear hose on line out of back of head, right!!!
I may be off base but, you should not be generating enough "air" in system to constantlly hear a air hiss!!!! You can supply ataboys or ohfeces later as proven.
Reusing copper washers could be a cause.
2008 3500 stock QCLB dually Inferno red. Toys: Fuel injected Rampage, Road Grader, 1586 tractor, 60K genset, Honda ATV, and more. Back in business with a Hitachi EX270LC excavator. The dirt slinging has begun with 50+ acres to clear.
dozer12216 is online now   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.