NV4500 5th gear whine? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2009, 04:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
NV4500 5th gear whine?

I have noticed that when I am running in 5th gear the tranny whines/sings a little, not bad but a little. I can drop to 4th and it goes away. usually can only hear it at slower speeds like 40-60 mph. May be there at higher speeds and just gets drowned out, I am not sure.

I keep hearing about a 5th gear nut coming loose on the NV4500 transmissions, where is this nut located and how much trouble is it to check?
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2009, 05:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

You don't want to drive in 5th gear at less than about 62mph or with the rpms above 2000, it will lug the motor & cause all kinds of problems including loosening the gear nut. The whine you hear could be a loose gear shaft, worn gear teeth, etc. The noise is likely a sign of trouble, so have it checked out.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rescue Tower

Thanked 1,900 Times in 1,389 Posts
QUAD 4 x4 LLP Your 4x4 Experts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadecool View Post
You don't want to drive in 5th gear at less than about 62mph or with the rpms above 2000, it will lug the motor & cause all kinds of problems including loosening the gear nut. The whine you hear could be a loose gear shaft, worn gear teeth, etc. The noise is likely a sign of trouble, so have it checked out.
Not sure what other problems lugging creates. Also the MPH does not really mean much. 62mph in 4th gear is rapping that engine a little tight. Basically try to stay out of 5th below 1800 rmp. Keep in mind this is absolutely no guarantee that it will not fall off... I'd say you do have something going on with it. Normally the gear just falls off when going into or out of a coast condition. No noise or anything... just falls off...

Last edited by Shainer; 03-11-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Shainer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2009, 06:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Lugging the engine is not good for the tranny in general, especially 5th gear. Lugging is also bad for the engine, its a lot better on the engine to be at higher rpms. Other than redlining it, there's no so such thing as winding it "too tight", the 24v Cummins loves high rpms, not great for mpg though. When I lost 5th gear 1000 miles from home, I came home in 4th at 65mph at about 2600rpm.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,463 Posts
iTrader Score: 16 reviews
check your fluid level
drunk on diesel is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2009, 06:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on diesel View Post
check your fluid level

How do you check the fluid level? Good thing to know anyways.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,463 Posts
iTrader Score: 16 reviews
fill plug on the side of the tranny. the 4500 in my 97 started whining one day in 5th, and adding some fluid took care of it. very difficult to diagnose the severity of a wine without hearing it in person though
drunk on diesel is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2009, 06:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

i was gonna ask about the lugging 5th gear...

i knew it was a problem with the 12v's and knew they tried to upgrade the trans but aparently it is still a problem with the 24v's...
Old 03-11-2009, 06:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Rescue Tower

I disagree, and that's ok.

2,600 RPM's is annoying as hell for long drives (winding it too tight). The ISB's start defueling just 200 RPM's higher (2,800 rpm). They are also only rated at 2700 RPM.

Lugging is considered full throttle application for more than a minute when the engine can not accelerate. I routinely take it down somewhere between 1000, and 1200 RPM and accelerate out of it in well under a minute. I'm driving a diesel, not a 1 liter gasser.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rescue Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW-LIFE View Post
i was gonna ask about the lugging 5th gear...

i knew it was a problem with the 12v's and knew they tried to upgrade the trans but aparently it is still a problem with the 24v's...
It's a problem with the transmission. Both the 12v and 24v have the same nv4500 behind it. Read up on the link I posted before. They know probably more it than anybody else. Basically they say if you keep the engine RPM's above 1600-1800 in 5th gear that it will last longer. I have not seen any proof of this, but it certainly won't hurt anything. Definitely check the fluid level. Use syntorq that you can probably only get from the dealer to top it off with.

Last edited by Shainer; 03-11-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Shainer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2009, 07:04 PM   #11 (permalink)

One more question, what kind of fluid? Is the plug on the left, right, front, rear? I guess thats two questions

Just ordered a cheap used Haynes manual off of Amazon. Are they any good?
Old 03-11-2009, 07:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

The plug is on the passenger side, it takes an allen wrench. Stick your pinky finger inside & the fluid should be just below the bottom of the hole. The fluid you need is called Castrol Syntorque, you have to get it at a dealer or online.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.