55 block - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2006, 11:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
55 block

I noticed another member has this in his sig. What is it? I know about the 53, but how bout some infor on the 55? Where would you find it stamped. I am starting to shop around for a 2nd gen and would like to have all the info I can.
Thanks
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2006, 11:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I have a 55 block. It is printed on the bottom of the block about middle ways front to back next to the oil pan on the drivers side. It supposedly is one of the thicker blocks. I think the 55 was cast in Mexico but not sure? I think I've heard somewhere that it has a little different mixture of metals than the 53.
bucket truck is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2006, 11:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
2001shrtbedcummins

yea the 53 blocks were never meant for a hp application much over 100 I believe...amazing to think of these engines only making that little amount of hp. 55's are good. You will see the number on the side of the engine block, can't remember exactly where...if you climb under like you were changing the oil filter and look up w/a light you will see it.
  Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2006, 11:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

nothing wrong with the 55 block only the 53's had an issue with cracking

And thats all i am saying
moneymaker44 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2006, 12:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

That is odd that they would make a block that was prone to cracking. Wonder who was behind that one and if he can look himself in the mirror anymore.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
2001shrtbedcummins

not that they made a block that would crack...just that block wasn't meant for such a stressful application as the ram. Don't know why they put em in the trucks (probably didn't know it would happen)
  Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2006, 10:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymaker44 View Post
nothing wrong with the 55 block only the 53's had an issue with cracking
You guys blew it................... You had a chance to really make him nervous. You should have told him that it had a worse reputation than the 53 block......... Could have been a lot of fun.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
They didn't intentionally make 53 blocks thin for low power applications. That isn't the correct story. The 53 just designates what casting was used to make the blocks. The 53 cast had a flaw, and resulted in blocks with thinner walls. It was a mistake, and wasn't realized until thousands of blocks were produced. It wasn't an intentional design, it was a screw up. I think they were case in Brazil, but I could be wrong. 53 = lemon block. Other casting numbers, like 55, are normal and don't appear to be a abnormal problem. Not all 53 blocks will fail, but it is well documented that 53 cast blocks have a much higher rate of failure than normal.

53 block + VP44 + junk LP = headache

Duluth Diesel is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2006, 11:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Diesel View Post
They didn't intentionally make 53 blocks thin for low power applications. That isn't the correct story. The 53 just designates what casting was used to make the blocks. The 53 cast had a flaw, and resulted in blocks with thinner walls. It was a mistake, and wasn't realized until thousands of blocks were produced. It wasn't an intentional design, it was a screw up. I think they were case in Brazil, but I could be wrong. 53 = lemon block. Other casting numbers, like 55, are normal and don't appear to be a abnormal problem. Not all 53 blocks will fail, but it is well documented that 53 cast blocks have a much higher rate of failure than normal.

Thats the story as I understand it.....

More info: 53 Block FAQ and Information

Last edited by Dr. Evil; 12-29-2006 at 11:30 AM.
Dr. Evil is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2006, 11:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
www.Mopar1973Man.com

Thanked 2,995 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Thank God that the 2002 came out... Now I've only got...

VP44 + Junk LP = :fist: Not as bad...
Mopar1973Man is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2006, 01:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitmore View Post
Ya it was prolly the Doc

He is a trouble maker and all good men should refrain from conversation with him
I think you meant MnTom, Whitmore!
Old 12-29-2006, 04:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Roc View Post
I think you meant MnTom, Whitmore!
So now what did I do?

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.