NV5600 to G-56 conversion? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2009, 11:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
NV5600 to G-56 conversion?

Is there such a thing? Will the G-56 bold right up in my 01? Its supposed to be a much stronger transmission right?
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2009, 12:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Good question, I know the latest G56 have better final drive ratio than the first models.
Come on guys spill the info!
Old 02-11-2009, 12:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

duability wise I would stay with the NV5600 they have a cast steel casing where as the the g56 has an aluminum one. but it should bolt right up if you do swap it might have to change the crossmember but not 100% sure on that one.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

theres a guy on here that did one. He says he had to move a few mounts, lengthen, shorten driveshafts, n push the under belly up a bit
Old 02-11-2009, 12:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Tranny?
Old 02-11-2009, 08:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Done . History !
The way to go if you have a NV or a GTRAG
Bolts right up
98.5 1 Ton Dually,4:10 Gears,Mercedes 6 Speed, Engine Bal "0" grams, Molly Coat Pistons with Ceramic Fire . S.S. Piston Cooling Jets, 275 inj. Big Bad S. Bend Clutch, Air bags on the rear, Fisher V Plow on Front. Gauges .No Grid heaters ! 17" wheels
thumper 549 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2009, 08:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

if you get a g56 get the g56r outta the newer trucks. they turn about 300 rpm less goin down the highway at 70
05 3500 Yellow 6 speed,Mega cab dually fenders,Rumble Bee Scoop,Smarty,CFM+,ATS Exhaust Mani,Silver 64,Airdog 150,Valair 3600 DD,5" Silverline exhaust,8" tip,Icebox with torque tube,Quad Rail Gauge,Mag-Hytecs,Lorenz Level, 22.5's
BSouth is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2009, 11:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

thanks for the replies. Finding mixed opinions about the strength of the two. Some say its stronger, some say its not. SO im getting hesitant about going to through the work and putting out the extra money if its gonna blow like the 5600 would. my local tranny shop wont touch either of them(there no help). You guys have been grrrreat.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

All I know is I have hauled some real HVY stuff, No problem.
If there is a known problem some one let me know as I need to keep track too
thanks !!
98.5 1 Ton Dually,4:10 Gears,Mercedes 6 Speed, Engine Bal "0" grams, Molly Coat Pistons with Ceramic Fire . S.S. Piston Cooling Jets, 275 inj. Big Bad S. Bend Clutch, Air bags on the rear, Fisher V Plow on Front. Gauges .No Grid heaters ! 17" wheels
thumper 549 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2009, 02:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I would like to know why the 3rd gear synchro goes so quick in the NV5600. I think it could be an awesome transmission if someone made a kit that would correct inherent design problems with it.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:06 AM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I would like to hear more. Is the newer G56 is the revise down to the left?
Old 02-12-2009, 03:34 AM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explosives87 View Post
I would like to hear more. Is the newer G56 is the revise down to the left?
Yes, the REVERSE (lol) is down to the left.

As for those with questions about the G56, the only problem I have heard is that the input shaft bearing seat is machined into the aluminum housing and then the bearing is pressed in.

This is a poor design and leads to the bearing seat going out of round (oblong) when using your truck as a career tow rig.

Peter at South Bend Clutch has told me he has seen G56's have this happen at 80K miles, and was suprised mine was still ok at 180K when I had my SBC 3250 DD put in.

I haul RV trailers and have 230K on mine.

I guess I have just been lucky so far, but the time is coming.

It is getting harder and harder to shift each day, and sometimes when taking off while towing one of the heavier trailers, it feels like something is out of round or wobbling.

It gets worse the heavier I tow, but the heaviest I have towed to date is a 15,000# portable restroom trailer.

So please watch out, it may be better than an NV5600, but it is VERY far from bullet proof.

**edit** If my tranny goes south, I will seriously consider the Eaton Fuller swap mentioned in this thread

Last edited by PhatB; 02-12-2009 at 03:44 AM.
PhatB is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.