2000 Dodge Ram died , won't start - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2008, 05:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
2000 Dodge Ram died , won't start

I have a 2000 Dodge Ram with the Cummins diesel that just died on me today. I drove it all morning and it was fine, then later I was driving it down the street and it died, shut off completely. I tried to start it back up but no luck. It cranks over fine but does not start, doesn't fire at all. This is my first diesel so I really don't know where to start , allready checked all the fuses and connections. Any ideas ?
bobbyg2000 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2008, 06:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

do the key trick for trouble codes first off. key ON-OFF-ON-OFF-- leave in ON on the 3rd switch. look at the odometer and write down the codes that spit out
Old 12-27-2008, 07:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Most likely the VP44 died...

Jason
JasonY is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2008, 07:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
www.Mopar1973Man.com

Thanked 3,023 Times in 2,344 Posts
Here is a few things to try...

1. Lift Pump Diagnostics

Minimum Fuel Pressure is 10 PSI..

2. OBD II Error Codes

P0216, P0253, P01688 is a dead VP44...

Mopar1973Man is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2008, 07:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Got P7100?

iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonY View Post
Most likely the VP44 died...

Jason
hope not for your sake, but thats what mine did.

11.51@119mph w/ single s468
mathews8pt is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2008, 02:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,214 Times in 962 Posts
Amongst all the belief, the VP44 can fail from other reasons besides not enough fuel. Apparently the computer that sits on top of the VP has soldered electronics where by Bosch used a type of solder that is affected by heat. Heat causes the solder to break down and deteriorate which causes the computers connections to fail. Once this begins to happen your truck can have hard starting issues, white smoke exhaust, or shut down at any time like you turned off the key. The only thing that determines how long it takes for this to happen is whats called heat cycles. Basically the more times you start and stop your engine over the life of your truck. I dont know if warmer weather plays a part but I'd imagine it does. I actually had my VP fail about 6 months ago and I cant believe how many post I've read lately where this exact problem is happening to others. Thats a clear indication that we all tend to suffer from the same problem at similar times as our truck age.
This doesnt mean thats whats wrong with your truck but if you determine that your LP is working fine and you have no other codes telling you otherwise then .

If you need a new VP then make for sure that you get a FULLY updated and FULLY rebuilt pump.
'01 2500 Sport 4x4 5spd w/Fastcoolers, Mag-Hytec, EZ, 4" w/o muffler, Steering brace, aFe intake, 2 lo kit, Isspro Boost, fuel pressure, and EGT all on pillar, Westach Trans/Diff temp gauge in dash pod, Raptor 100 w/ 1/2" line, Pac Brake, Rancho 9000, 285's
KATOOM is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2008, 02:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

^^^^^ to add to what katoom said..

what happens is through heat cycles the solder joints get crystaline, and crystaline solder has a different resistence than clean solder joints. so the signals go haywire.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I would also look at the lift pump.
'00 Quad Cummins 4x4 Shortbox, Was Silver. From AZ to AB. 50hp Edge Jammers, Adrenaline w/ Pulse, Raptor, Dodge Steering Stabilizer, Luke's Link, Leer tonneau, BFG T/A's, Isspro FPG, Transgo, FAILED DTT billet single., Excellent Diamond T Low Stall
JoeCanuck is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2008, 08:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
www.Mopar1973Man.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATOOM View Post
Amongst all the belief, the VP44 can fail from other reasons besides not enough fuel. Apparently the computer that sits on top of the VP has soldered electronics where by Bosch used a type of solder that is affected by heat. Heat causes the solder to break down and deteriorate which causes the computers connections to fail. Once this begins to happen your truck can have hard starting issues, white smoke exhaust, or shut down at any time like you turned off the key. The only thing that determines how long it takes for this to happen is whats called heat cycles. Basically the more times you start and stop your engine over the life of your truck. I dont know if warmer weather plays a part but I'd imagine it does. I actually had my VP fail about 6 months ago and I cant believe how many post I've read lately where this exact problem is happening to others. Thats a clear indication that we all tend to suffer from the same problem at similar times as our truck age.
This doesnt mean thats whats wrong with your truck but if you determine that your LP is working fine and you have no other codes telling you otherwise then .

If you need a new VP then make for sure that you get a FULLY updated and FULLY rebuilt pump.
But from what I understand that problem was correct in one of the updates. It was the type of soldier mixture that they were using that caused this problem.

Like the early years of VP44 it was because of bad machine work (not de-burring) to bad soldier joint (wrong type of soldier mixture) to lack of fuel flow (pressure and volume), to you name it...

Like myself I'm closing in on 100K miles on my VP44 and no problems. Yes I've got one of the newer pumps now... So the soldier issue and other problems are thing of the past...

Old 12-28-2008, 10:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

Code P-1693 ?

Thanks to all who replied. So far I checked for the code on the odometer and I'm getting P-1693 , I will see if I can find that code but if anyone knows let me know. Also this truck only has 89,000 miles on it.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
www.Mopar1973Man.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg2000 View Post
Thanks to all who replied. So far I checked for the code on the odometer and I'm getting P-1693 , I will see if I can find that code but if anyone knows let me know. Also this truck only has 89,000 miles on it.
P1693 - Companion code... Means there is more error codes present. You need to dig deeper.

Here is how to get code from the truck..
OBD II Error Codes

Here is the error code listing...
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/pdf/error-codes.pdf

Here is a nice scanner that works awesome...
ScanGauge II

Old 12-28-2008, 01:39 PM   #12 (permalink)

Found problem codes

I just bought a code scanner and found the following codes : PO 234 wich reads as a problem in the turbo wastegate and P 1688 wich reads as a problem in the injection pump. I guess I'm looking at buying a new pump, but what about the code sent by the wastegate ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.