Engine Surge - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2008, 07:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Engine Surge

I have a 02 Cummins, for the past year I can be driving and holding it at around 45-55 when all of of sudden ( but not all the time only frequently) the engine will increase in rpm by about 200-500. Took it to dealer , said they could find nothing wrong on the computer, changed fuel filter, still does the same. I also notice the other day it sounded like my fan speed increased, although since the truck was new on cold days my light would go a little brighter when I first started it. I'm thinking about replacing batteries , (original), but to me that doesn't explain the surge in rpm's any answers?
jlscjs is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2008, 09:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

cant say much for your cruise, but dont bother wasting money on new batteries. The lights will flicker a bit when its cold due to the grid heaters cycling (they draw 195amps!)
ykdave is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2008, 05:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

is it increasing in rpm and increasing speed, or is feeling like the transmission is slipping a bit?
98andahalf is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2008, 06:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98andahalf View Post
is it increasing in rpm and increasing speed, or is feeling like the transmission is slipping a bit?
the RPM's increase but I pretty sure not the speed. It sounds more like tranny shifting
jlscjs is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2008, 06:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

this will solve your problem.

https://www.atsdiesel.com/PDF/120505...%2047%20RE.pdf
mahdey is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to mahdey For This Useful Post:
oucmpn2 (01-11-2010)
Old 12-19-2008, 11:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Could be eltrical noise. You could try wrapping aluminum foil around the alternator wire that leads to the battery negative and cover in eltrical tape. I also purchased 2 RF noise yokes from radio shack and put 1 on the pcm harness and 1 on the TPS harness.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlscjs View Post
I have a 02 Cummins, for the past year I can be driving and holding it at around 45-55 when all of of sudden ( but not all the time only frequently) the engine will increase in rpm by about 200-500. Took it to dealer , said they could find nothing wrong on the computer, changed fuel filter, still does the same. I also notice the other day it sounded like my fan speed increased, although since the truck was new on cold days my light would go a little brighter when I first started it. I'm thinking about replacing batteries , (original), but to me that doesn't explain the surge in rpm's any answers?
i had the surge in rpms as well in my 02. i noticed mine in overdrive driving in low rpms say in the 1400 rpm range. To me it did not seem the tranny was slipping because to fix the surge i needed to cruise at a higher rpm and no surge or slip existed. The time i noticed this was the same time low sulfur diesel came to the market. I was told to start using an additive formulated for ultra low sulfur. I started using stanadyne performance formula and since ive been using it, i have not had any problems with surges at all. (started using it last december or last january) All i can say is try an additive if you have not. It seemed to fix my problem, The fuel that is availiable to us now was not the fuel our 5.9 were designed to burn, good luck to you

the mods are cummin :thumbsup
NebraskaCummins is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2008, 11:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
SootCloudMaker3

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Mine will up and down in rpm's when cruse is set about 60 to 70. Dont know if im having the same problem or not.
SOLD: 06 BIG HORN QC 4x4 Cummins 6 Speed SB w/SB DD
SOLD: 04 QCSB SLT 4x4 Cummins 6 Speed w/SB DD
SOLD: 02 ExCab 4x4 Cummins auto stock
stinnett25 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2008, 05:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
If you ever find out an answer, PM me please because I'm having the same issue for a while now, and mine also doesn't do it all the time. Seems like in 3-4 gear running around 30-40 mph is where i'll notice it. I tried and apps reset which didn't solve it, I run stanadyne too. Only codes coming up in the odometer is a 0500 i believe and the companion code (1693 ? ) Been a while since I looked so can't remember if that's exactly what they are.
2002 QCSB, 245hp HO 6spd,Edge Juice / Attitude, 4" MBRP turbo back,BHAF, Silencer ring MIA,Fuel Boss pump, 3cyl-6cyl high idle enabled,Prowelder high idle fooler,HBS 2" leveling kit,DSS stabilizer,Borgeson Box and Steering Shaft
dobienut is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2008, 07:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahdey View Post
am i bloody talking to myself THIS WILL SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM. It solved mine and my friends, and his along with his girlfriends.
mahdey is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.