24 Valve lash adjustment? noise/sound??? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Performance Parts Discussion
98.5-02 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 98-02 Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 10:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
24 Valve lash adjustment? noise/sound???

When I did my valve lash adjustment I did not have a barring tool so I used the alternate method to turn the engine backwards using a ratchet and socket on the alternator...

Here is my question/comment... I turned engine till I got TDC (everything was nice and smooth and quiet) did the valve adjustments then started turning engine to get to BDC... while I was turning everything was smooth and quiet and all of a sudden I start to hear a clicking noise every time I would turn over the engine... the sound persisted for about 5 or 6 turns on the rachet and then stopped... I never heard it again after that...

It noise/clicking sounded like it was coming from the aft bottom of the eng block oil pan/starter area...

Ever since then I have had a lumpy idle at startup issues...

I wonder if I damaged something internal...
99 Ram 2500 4x4, Auto, QCLB: Edge CTS juice/attitude, aFe Stage II cold air, aFe Bladerunner, Raptor 150, Industrial Injection 85's, 5" MBRP turbo Back... Stock Injectors BACK in... VP does not like the 85's at idle...
Huskiemuskie is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 11:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

Double check your lash. .01" intake / .02" exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free
Cummins. is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 11:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins. View Post
Double check your lash. .01" intake / .02" exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free
already did... prefect...
99 Ram 2500 4x4, Auto, QCLB: Edge CTS juice/attitude, aFe Stage II cold air, aFe Bladerunner, Raptor 150, Industrial Injection 85's, 5" MBRP turbo Back... Stock Injectors BACK in... VP does not like the 85's at idle...
Old 09-18-2012, 04:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Are you running stock cam and stock head? I don't see were barring the motor over from the alternator would cause any clicking noise unless you had a valve hit a piston?
Old 09-19-2012, 01:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

do the las h agin turning the engine FORWARD. its not much difference but the lash will make a difference in setting the overhead. probably catch some flack on that but its worth a shot.
00 QCLB CTD Nv4500-steering brace-Isspro & Autometer gauges-BHAF-Airdog DF165-South Bend DD3600-o-ringed-studded-DAP 7x.010 sac's-Borg S363Snow W/M-TST COMP/TS MVPWhole lotta smoke...Not a whole lotta goNext to come: Tires
clatterbuck2000 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2012, 09:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Back to NORMAL !

Well I did the last resort to see if my IDLE issues would go away... I put my Original stock injectors back in and NO more loping, rough Idle, hard starts or stalling...! The only thing I will missing is the "on demand smoke" that the 85hp injectors provided... but i much rather NOT have the issue that they brought with them... (MY VP44 for whatever reason just flat out does not like them)

I took apart and cleaned the stock injectors before putting them back in. Starts up instantly... Idle a solid 800rpm and when I dial up the Edge I can get some BLACK on launch.... the trucks happy and so am I thanks for all you guys HELP... I've learned alot
Old 09-29-2012, 10:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Where they new injectors? If so I would send then back and have them checked. Sounds like they weren't set up right. Or send them somewhere anyway and have them cleaned and set.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

If they're newer injectors id be contacting the distributor. If your just after smoke wire up a smoke switch. Or if you want to take better advantage of that edge get a set of 150 nozzles or something. Sounds like your capable of switching the nozzles if you disassembled the injectors to clean them.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mprmn08 View Post
Where they new injectors? If so I would send then back and have them checked. Sounds like they weren't set up right. Or send them somewhere anyway and have them cleaned and set.
Brand new Industrial Injection 85 hp injectors... I called them and they said their injectors are pop tested...

I am thinking about having them checked to see what they are poping/set at ... maybe they missed one??? That could be the problem...
Old 09-29-2012, 04:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

did you pull off the injection pump vent to see when your engine was at tdc and bdc?
99 3500 Built DTT Auto, 600 lower TC, 3.55, 4x4, BHAF, 6" lift, ARP's, Danin Optix, Gauges, DAP 100hp sticks, FASS 95, 2LO kit, HIGH Idle, Silencer ring delete, 4" exhaust, SMARTY, 03 VW PASSAT 1.8T Big Thanks to (FTE Diesel),(DAP),(DTT) They ROCK!
pepsi71ocean is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsi71ocean View Post
did you pull off the injection pump vent to see when your engine was at tdc and bdc?
Yes when I did the valve clearance...

pretty sure that is fine because the truck runs perfect now with the stock injectors back in...
Old 09-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Just curious. Do you know what your fuel pressure is when you start up? At idle?
0124vctd is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.