Airdog 165 install - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Performance Parts Discussion
98.5-02 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 98-02 Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 10:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Airdog 165 install

Just bought the airdog II 165. Did some research. Couldn't really find much. I have an in-tank pump. I don't have the tools to pull the bed. Any recommendations for easy install? Do I have to drop the tank? What about the draw straw? Did you guys also use that special tool to hook up the lines? Thanks for the help
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2012, 12:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I looked around and there is a video on youtube that takes you step by step from start to finnish, and yes you will have to remove the tank to upgrade the draw straw. I dont have one of these pumps yet but I am looking forward to getting one when I have the cash.

Video 1
Video 2
Old 01-06-2012, 12:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

You don't need any special tools to pull the bed, just regular hand tools to undo the bolts and the fuel filler. A buddy is a good idea to slide it back about a foot and half, no need to even remove the rear bumper, just rest it on that and the rear tires. If you don't have anybody to help its not real expensive to rent a engine hoist for a day or two, doesn't take long to do the in tank part and everything can be back together quickly. Pulling the tank will be a major undertaking, lots of hassle doing it that way. No tools required for hooking any of the fuel lines up, push on fittings until they click, its that easy. Make sure to route your fuel lines carefully near any edges that could wear into them. The hardest part is going to be neatly routing the wiring harness and deciding where you will mount the pump. Good luck!
2002 H.O. QCSB, 4X4, NV5600|AIR DOG II|OFFSET RACELINE 17x9's|TOYO M/T 35's|CARLI COILS, TRACKBAR, CONTROL ARMS|DSS|SWAY BARS REMOVED|2010 STEERING|FOX STEERING STABILIZER|BUSHWACKER FLARES|EDGE JUICE|5% TINT|VALAIR DD|YUKON FREE-SPIN
seanb02 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrhoads View Post
I looked around and there is a video on youtube that takes you step by step from start to finnish, and yes you will have to remove the tank to upgrade the draw straw. I dont have one of these pumps yet but I am looking forward to getting one when I have the cash.

Video 1 AirDog Installation - Video 1 of 2 - YouTube
Video 2 AirDog Installation - Video 2 of 2 - YouTube
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanb02 View Post
You don't need any special tools to pull the bed, just regular hand tools to undo the bolts and the fuel filler. A buddy is a good idea to slide it back about a foot and half, no need to even remove the rear bumper, just rest it on that and the rear tires. If you don't have anybody to help its not real expensive to rent a engine hoist for a day or two, doesn't take long to do the in tank part and everything can be back together quickly. Pulling the tank will be a major undertaking, lots of hassle doing it that way. No tools required for hooking any of the fuel lines up, push on fittings until they click, its that easy. Make sure to route your fuel lines carefully near any edges that could wear into them. The hardest part is going to be neatly routing the wiring harness and deciding where you will mount the pump. Good luck!
Thanks for the help fellas. Ima try to tackle this tomorrow.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,194 Times in 1,024 Posts
you will need a release tool to un-hook the factory lines from the original fuel pump. thats the only special tool you will need.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbayes View Post
you will need a release tool to un-hook the factory lines from the original fuel pump. thats the only special tool you will need.

You can remove it without special tools. Just pinch both blue tabs and pull the line off.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

One other thing, when drilling and installing the straw into the in tank module and cutting out the original lift pump, be careful as the plastic is rather brittle. A new fuel module from Dodge is very expensive. I cracked mine while drilling it and ended up spreading silicone around the top to keep it from leaking. Going to pull it back apart again in the next couple weeks and put JB Weld around it as the silicone is only a temporary fix and the Diesel will likely eat through it. Also be sure to watch the rubber gasket around the top of the tank as it is easy to pinch or drop down in the tank while reinstalling the module.
2002 H.O. QCSB, 4X4, NV5600|AIR DOG II|OFFSET RACELINE 17x9's|TOYO M/T 35's|CARLI COILS, TRACKBAR, CONTROL ARMS|DSS|SWAY BARS REMOVED|2010 STEERING|FOX STEERING STABILIZER|BUSHWACKER FLARES|EDGE JUICE|5% TINT|VALAIR DD|YUKON FREE-SPIN
seanb02 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2012, 11:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,194 Times in 1,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinCummins View Post
You can remove it without special tools. Just pinch both blue tabs and pull the line off.
gotcha. i must be thinkin of something else. been awhile since i had mine apart.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanb02 View Post
One other thing, when drilling and installing the straw into the in tank module and cutting out the original lift pump, be careful as the plastic is rather brittle. A new fuel module from Dodge is very expensive. I cracked mine while drilling it and ended up spreading silicone around the top to keep it from leaking. Going to pull it back apart again in the next couple weeks and put JB Weld around it as the silicone is only a temporary fix and the Diesel will likely eat through it. Also be sure to watch the rubber gasket around the top of the tank as it is easy to pinch or drop down in the tank while reinstalling the module.
You might want to try some Permatex Hylomar Universal Blue. You can get it at any parts house. It's meant for fuel and it isn't a silicone base. I used it on a leaking fuel flange on my motorcycle several months ago and it hasn't leaked a drop. Its meant for high heat areas and doesn't mind if its in an area that is repeatedly taken apart and put back together. It's some awesome stuff and seems a little less permanent than JB Weld.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

If you didnt do it already, I got a few picks of my install, look for Thread called....I Need help installing Draw Straw I .....In 98.5-02 Powertrain.
Might help some, or at least give you an idea. I enjoyed the install except the part i bled the line and a ton load of diesel came flyin out
2002 5.9L Longbed auto ,Edge w Juice, AFE stage 2 intake,Phatshaft 62/65/12 ,ARP Head studs, Airdog150, Contagiou$ Diesel SAC 7x.010, Magnaflow turbo back, RebuildTrans dd disk shift kit billit conver, New Vp44 ,VPMAX intercooler boots,Pusher intake,Traction bars from CPP
MegaRam2002 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.