99 Built Auto transmission gear hunting??????? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Performance Parts Discussion
98.5-02 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 98-02 Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2011, 11:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
99 Built Auto transmission gear hunting???????

I have Suncoast built tranny (triple disc converter, billet input, ect.) in my 99, that I purchased new directly from Suncoast. During normal driving or towing it can't decide if it wants to stay in 3rd or 4th untill I get moving quicker. It only has about 15k on it and I have never had problems before, except occasionally in the morning If I started it up and put in gear right away it would be slow to get get moving (don't know if this is a related problem). It seems to be a little worse every time I drive it.

Tomorrow I plan to take the battery ground's off and clean them up( I doubt this is the problem because the connections look good but I aint sure were else to start). I hope It is not the tranny cause I don't want to remove it again. If so it still has a warranty I hope they will stand behind their work.

Any help is much appreciated because this is my only work truck at the moment and I don' want to keep driving it more than I have to till it is fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2011, 11:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
check fluid levels. The TC drains and the first start up it takes a few seconds longer for it to fill up.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
In my truck's case I have found that there is a direct correlation between the shifting, throttle position, and programmer placement.

Example: If I turn my programmers torque level all the way up then the programmer fuels the truck heavily with very little throttle.... So I find that the transmission reacts by THINKING it can shift, but in all reality it can't quite hold it with such low TV cable pressure.

HOW I FIXED MINE: I run my edge programmer on the lowest setting for throttle response and torque... Therefore to get the truck rolling you must put your foot further into the FUEL PEDAL (increasing line pressure in the transmission)... This stops the early shift and when it finaly does shift into the next gear it stays there.

Try it and let me know what you think... I run my edge juice with attitude on level 3 with the low end responsiveness on the very lowest setting and the tranny loves it!
2001 QC 4x2 47re 3.54, Edge Juice Hot, Airdog, Traction bars, Heavy Transmission mods, ported and oringed head, ARP studs, phatshaft 62,14... Big stick Colt stage 3, Mach 4's. 17" Gen 3 Chrome rims, BD rad,
slowlearner is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2011, 11:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
to answer your part of your question, when you first start your truck and get going right away the reason it is shifting slightly erratically is due to the tranny being cold. It combat this simply let the tranny warm up a bit before heading out. you can do this by putting the truck in gear and holding your foot on the brake same as if you stopped at a light or stop sign. This creates heat in the tranny because it wants to move forward but cant. On the other side of the spectrum if your tranny is running hot throw the truck in neutral when your at lights or stuck in traffic. At roughly 200* your tranny fluid can start to boil and wreck things inside the tranny.
99 Ram 2500: 4" MBRP TBE/8" Mitres, Edge Juice w/ att, ATS A3k,ATS Arc-flow,ATS 3 peice manifold, AEM brute force intake, CCP 225hp injectors,ISSPRO A-pillar gauges, Goerend built tranny,FASS 150, EBC rotors,EBC green stuff pads.
Rumblebee99 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2011, 11:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Got P7100?

iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Sounds like a ground or possibly a "noise" issue. Doesnt matter if the trans is built or not, both of those can still happen.

11.51@119mph w/ single s468
mathews8pt is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2011, 06:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
I cleaned up the battery terminals and grounds I drove into town and the tranny shifted fine. Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.