what are the signs of a bad map sensor? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Performance Parts Discussion
98.5-02 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 98-02 Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2010, 06:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
what are the signs of a bad map sensor?

alrighty guys

well the vp44 has about 25kish miles on it.

always had fass system on it. 15-17psi and 70% Of its life was with 2 stroke

the problem(s)

it kinda hestiates from a stop. sluggish then power comes on nice. im not building alot of boost either. 5 poundish. so i dont think its turbo lag.

in 4th gear ussualy around 2000-2100 rpms under WOT it feels like it falls on its face.....no power, like no fuel basically.... fuel psi is good. also. if i let out of the throttle then get right back in it. the problem does not exisit

also it lopes with the a/c on when putting the clutch in and letting it fall to idle

it will dip about 200rpms under idle then even rite back out.

my thoughts...

bad apps

bad map....

or possibly another vp44?

i have cleaned my map twice before so i dont think its clogged

truck did have a smoke switch on it for quite some time.

i just reset my apps. going to see if that solves my problem.

i also have no CEL on. and no scan tool to see if there is a code...

as far as my knowledge the symtpons show one of the 3 components are bad...

only other one i can think of would be ecm.

any help would be greatly appericated.

thanks
(bluefurd)1998.5 blue 2500 club cab, nv4500,quad 4k, nanofiber amsoil, afe torque tube, FASS150GPH, 5inch str8 to 7in mirte with fte mount, pusher intake, tunnel ram, cpps 7x.014, bd short throw kit, valair 650hp dd, 17x9 kmc revolvers wrapped in 33x11.5 terra grapplers, 66/74/14 batmowheel, hamiltion rods/springs, arp studs, tru-trac in rear, lukes link, DAP steering brace, hawk brakes, blisteen 5100's, amsoil bypass system, devilsown stage2, ccp traction bars, fluidamper with pin kit, hellman fuel sump, equal lenght SS jet hot coated header
DavidRasch17 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
DieselAutoPower.com

Thanked 1,890 Times in 822 Posts
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Run to a autozone or some parts store and have them scan it to get a better idea of what's going on. Otherwise it's just shots in the dark.
patracy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2010, 06:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
agreed current codes will set you in the right direction
Old 10-08-2010, 07:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

guys at autozone said they scanner wont read unless theres a CEL .... lol
(bluefurd)1998.5 blue 2500 club cab, nv4500,quad 4k, nanofiber amsoil, afe torque tube, FASS150GPH, 5inch str8 to 7in mirte with fte mount, pusher intake, tunnel ram, cpps 7x.014, bd short throw kit, valair 650hp dd, 17x9 kmc revolvers wrapped in 33x11.5 terra grapplers, 66/74/14 batmowheel, hamiltion rods/springs, arp studs, tru-trac in rear, lukes link, DAP steering brace, hawk brakes, blisteen 5100's, amsoil bypass system, devilsown stage2, ccp traction bars, fluidamper with pin kit, hellman fuel sump, equal lenght SS jet hot coated header
Old 10-08-2010, 07:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
DieselAutoPower.com

Tell the stooge behind the counter to let him talk to the manager. There's a reason he's shuffling parts and not diagnosing & repairing vehicles.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by patracy View Post
Tell the stooge behind the counter to let him talk to the manager. There's a reason he's shuffling parts and not diagnosing & repairing vehicles.
If they say the same thing again, tell them the instrument cluster has electrical issues and is not working properly. That should do it. On a side note, I was having low boost issues and no codes, turns out I had a boost leak and once I got it fixed, I was back in the normal numbers that I would see. Hope that helps.

oudive
Old 10-08-2010, 11:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

the apps reset seemed to helped. but im not sure if its the whole issue. after i resetted it. it didint cut out in 4th at wot. could be luck or apps actually did something.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
DieselAutoPower.com

You really need to scan for codes, otherwise you're just throwing stuff out in the dark.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

most people dont understand the reason a cel light shows up on the dash..... the real reason that it lights up... is if any fault in the engine that the computer catches, compromises the emissions in the exhaust.. gas or diesel.... annndd when its flashing that means shut it down, for any of you who have seen that before
patracy (10-09-2010)
Old 10-09-2010, 10:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

not likely to ever see a flashing "check eng light" on a 98-2002 dodge CTD as it means the ECM has detected a miss fire and continued driving will damage the cat.

most folks panic when they see a check eng lite come on, dont panic, just means the PCM/ECM has seen a reading from a sensor that is outside the normal range, most times (not always) the veh will drive the same and there are no noticable driveability issues.
My two cents
Old 10-09-2010, 11:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

yea its not really a good idea to keep driving a gas motor with the light blinking i have seen em roll into the shop and the cat cherry red from em missing that aint a good idea
FASS,Electric Fan,AFE Stage 1,ISS Pro EV2 In Custom Made Pods,Levelin Kit,Apline Headunit,1 12" Diamond D6,Alpine MRD501 Amp,Custom Made Grill & Bumper Inserts,PSC Brace,lil bit of fuel and a lil bit of air and sb DXD to hold it maybe
slow01dodge is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2010, 12:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

DavidRasch17: Is the performance of the truck OK at higher rpms or is it just doggy on bottom end? Are you getting boost psi readings from your Edge? if so it is getting it's info from the Map sensor and may not be accurate if Map is bad.
2002 3500 4x2, QC, Adrenaline non wire tapped, Goerend Trans with 3 disc TC, billet input, RV275 injectors, lockup switch, 4:10 rear gears, Autometer gauges full set including fuel pres., fp100 AirDog, #56 block, 130,000 miles, IAT fooler.
bcbifoot is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.