How do tell if my truck has a chip? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Performance Parts Discussion
98.5-02 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 98-02 Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2010, 10:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
How do tell if my truck has a chip?

Hi all i recently became the owner of 02 6speed manual 4wd. this is the first diesel i have owned, the truck has a few upgrades on like winch and bumper, lift kit, pillar pod w/pryometer, boost, and fuel press gauges. How do i tell if it has a chip? to me it seem funny that the previous owner would put all that aftermarket on and not also chip it. I looked through all the stuff i got w/the truck but found nothing in the way of info if its chipped or not. dealer i got from was no help
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2010, 11:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

If your boost pressure doesn't get any higher than 20 psi, it's not chipped.
Stock boost pressure is 19-20 psi.
'01.5 QC, SB, 6spd 4x4, Drag Comp, 4" exh. IP 200's and Cat 62-65-.70A/R w/adj.boost elbow Big Line, fuel press.pyro & boost gauges fuel cooler BHAF, Black Holley lift pump-12psi WOT Ceramic/Kevlar SD clutch, studs, Take time to turn-so you don't burn
Clunk is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2010, 11:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rescue Tower

Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,387 Posts
You can look to see if the injection pump wire was tapped. With everything that is on it is very likely it was chipped at one point. Not uncommon to remove those items prior to sale as it really does not help the resale value.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Check the usual places for power adders. Alot of them will use the map sensor (on drivers side of block near firewall) or the good ones will tap the injection pump. Easiest way to tell though has been mentioned in previous post.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Won't be able to tell if its got a programmer on it though without asking the dealer
x MadMAX DIESEL is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2010, 12:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
BVD

Does it smoke? My chip-less truck won't even smoke if I try. Don't worry though I'm in the same boat as you, I've had the truck a week and still don't know what all has been done to it, and if what Clunk says is true I need to do some more digging because my truck pulls 30 psi
Old 09-23-2010, 01:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVD View Post
Does it smoke? My chip-less truck won't even smoke if I try. Don't worry though I'm in the same boat as you, I've had the truck a week and still don't know what all has been done to it, and if what Clunk says is true I need to do some more digging because my truck pulls 30 psi
If your not getting the overboost code, theres a chip/boost fooler in there somewhere,

P0234 Turbo Boost Limit Exceeded.
Problem detected in turbocharger wastegate.
'01.5 QC, SB, 6spd 4x4, Drag Comp, 4" exh. IP 200's and Cat 62-65-.70A/R w/adj.boost elbow Big Line, fuel press.pyro & boost gauges fuel cooler BHAF, Black Holley lift pump-12psi WOT Ceramic/Kevlar SD clutch, studs, Take time to turn-so you don't burn
Clunk is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2010, 02:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

1. check you battery terminals and fuse pannels for accessery wires.
2. check your map sensor, data plug, and pump wire.

i pluged my gate, and can pull 25+psi with a "stock" truck. all "19-20psi" will tell you is that you gate is working. (plus this assuming you have gauges already)

Last edited by BlackedOut02; 09-23-2010 at 10:54 AM.
BlackedOut02 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2010, 03:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
If your boost pressure doesn't get any higher than 20 psi, it's not chipped.
Stock boost pressure is 19-20 psi.
If the wastegate was not tampered with boost will stay at stock levels even with a fueling box or programmer. Most programmers have boost foolers that prevent high boost codes but the 24 valves have a mechanical wastegate that must be modified to gain highter then stock boost. The boost fooler just prevents the ecm from throwing a code when the wastegate is modified.
mpw8679 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2010, 10:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Western WA President

Thanked 1,740 Times in 1,252 Posts
I saw 26psi before getting the boost elbow on my factory turbo with just the adrenaline.
my truck is literally full of Panties already...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'strokeThis_'07 View Post
I'll admit, I was sitting here giggling like a little girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Mud Machine View Post
I have been noticing that when inhaling it was almost like sucking a golfball through a garden hose...
jigabop is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2010, 04:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVD View Post
My truck was always at 30psi with the hy35 & auto trans @ 2200rpm....it was unchipped & un j-hooked....with my HX35 & 5spd trans I only get 25psi with the smarty on 9 & its re-porgramed to the wild setting...but it runs waaaay stronger now..
2002 24V CUMMINS QCSB NV4500,4x4,SB 3600 DD,CPP traction bars,SMARTY,HRVP44,CPP7X.012s,HX35,ARP studs,Airdog 165,FP,EGT,BOOST..p7100 pumped soon..Black 1995 12valve 4X4 RCLB 47RH auto work truck, KDP tabbed..stock for now, 1995 12 valve going into a blue monster
99cummins5spd is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2010, 05:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

People sure are getting alot of different boost readings. Does anyone know if there was different boost pressure ratings depending on so, ho, auto or manual?
mpw8679 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.