Best 425-475hp build debate reliability/performance - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
98.5-02 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 98-02 Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 04:31 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Best 425-475hp build debate reliability/performance

There's ALOT of different builds to make 425-475hp. I'd like to start a discussion of which is the best way to go. Debates, no bashing needed.
- reliability
-best performance
- economicalAND
- easiest and least expensive
What are you runing? What supports what you think? What do you think your build is best for? How would you classify your build in reference to those options.
Preff for sure dyno hp or knowledge from other builds.
The dyno thread is great also!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 04:43 AM
Cummins Nut

Garage
Best thing I ever did to make my truck feel faster and get better milage was put smaller tires. Lol Gearing and tire selection alone can make a 400hp truck feel faster than a 500hp one. All that aside, isn't mid 400hp as simple as;

Quadzilla
7x.009s+
Bhaf
Good lift pump
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killjoy View Post
Best thing I ever did to make my truck feel faster and get better milage was put smaller tires. Lol Gearing and tire selection alone can make a 400hp truck feel faster than a 500hp one. All that aside, isn't mid 400hp as simple as;

Quadzilla
7x.009s+
Bhaf
Good lift pump
You think the quadzilla is better than the edge? Made this thread cause I was going over everyone's dyno's n there was some guys who have a lot of stuff in there trucks but only make 450 then there's the guys who say they have what u said.
But is one better for drivability or dependability

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 06:37 AM
Cummins Nut

Garage
I have a drag comp box. And have owned a quadzilla adrenaline with iquad. The beauty of the quadzilla is its ability to effectively "tune down" larger injectors, which can be done by YOU the user. So you can actually make big injectors drivable with literally no rolling coal whatsoever.

Where as my edge box has a level. And Thats it. It goes up and down. Smokes a ton, and has set parameters.

The quadzilla adrenaline is THE way to go for vp44 tunability, if you have the money to spend.
There's still plenty of power to be made with edge products, just wont be nearly as clean or efficient. Edge hasn't updated programming in years where as quadzilla has ACTIVE beta testing, updates, and members on this site.
The Following User Says Thank You to Killjoy For This Useful Post:
jkidd (05-18-2017)
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killjoy View Post
I have a drag comp box. And have owned a quadzilla adrenaline with iquad. The beauty of the quadzilla is its ability to effectively "tune down" larger injectors, which can be done by YOU the user. So you can actually make big injectors drivable with literally no rolling coal whatsoever.

Where as my edge box has a level. And Thats it. It goes up and down. Smokes a ton, and has set parameters.

The quadzilla adrenaline is THE way to go for vp44 tunability, if you have the money to spend.
There's still plenty of power to be made with edge products, just wont be nearly as clean or efficient. Edge hasn't updated programming in years where as quadzilla has ACTIVE beta testing, updates, and members on this site.
Does the quadzilla still make as much hp gain as the edge or does it make more?
You have any insight on what you think is best for a 450hp build n why?
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 07:19 AM
Diesel Head

There is no NEW power to found in the VP...as of yet.

EDGE still holds the highest HP numbers...but now a days, at what cost.

The newer Quad software still makes the same HP, but with dar more refinements along the way...

So, does Edge make more power, yes but at a huge loss of mileage, where as the newer Quad software retains the high HP numbers but now with a gain in mileage (per say).

02 Sport / 47re / 4" MBRP TBE / DAP 75hp sticks/ HX35W / GDP FUEL BOSS / DDRP02 / 3rd gen brakes / 4th gen steering / 2" Thuren / MC ARMS / 5100's /285/75/17
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 07:25 AM
Cummins Nut

Garage
If Youre budget minded the edge comp box will get you there and there are plenty of them for sale in the classifieds, but IMO the adrenaline is far superior in every aspect other than the realm of just basic button pushing which is all the Egde delivers.

Edge comp is very simplistic and user friendly and easy to install. Edge Juice gives you guages, but its all the same tunes

Adrenaline gives you, customizable guages Via android or Bluetooth , same simple install process as edge juice (give or take a Fuel pressure sensor) and you have basically unlimited durability from there. Timing, low boost fueling, and much more. As far as PEAK power I can not say which one is better.

Every truck is different. But a properly set up tune that isn't dumping fuel and running up egts without helping spool the turbo is Definately going to feel slower and be less efficient fuel milage wide compared to something with huge injectors running a near smokeless tune that is a Fuel miser on the highway and can still light a turbo and NOT heat the egts up, even if it makes... What, 5% less peak hp.

On the flip side, you can turn the adrenaline from TUNE to TUNE on the fly. Not just power level. You can have Your towing tune, pull a trailer, then go full retard and switch it over to a hot tune when you wanna try to play with the duramaxes.

Edge gives you none of that ability. You get a simple out of the box tune and a simple product.
smokinfire likes this.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 11:14 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,183 Times in 1,724 Posts
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Power wise the edge and quad will make pretty much exactly the same power.... Really any wiretap box is going to do the same thing. Tuning isnt where you get your power, injectors is, the tuning is what should make the injectors drive able in my opinion.

Again edge vs quad in terms of power, no real difference.

The edge has the house record, but you gotta remember that truck had well over 50k in mods, the edge was a very small part of that equation.

As for a good built, I really enjoy my setup. It could use some 7 x .010 injectors but as it sits right now I should be over 400 hp, egts won't top 1100* on my tow tune, and I can pass emissions at that power level. Still plenty fun to drive.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 06:58 PM
Cummins Nut

I am not sure where I will be but I am doing to my nv5600 truck.

Valair 400hp HD single (still in the box)
DAP 7x.0085 vco(still in the box)
Fass95
4" magnaflow
BHAF
And I am going to buy a Quad adrenaline
I run 265/70/17 and have 3.54s

I am thinking I will be upper 300s and right now I get right at 19.5 mpg for my daily mixed drive, so hoping to improve on that to low 20's.
jkidd likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stumblinhorse For This Useful Post:
Bbrown80 (05-14-2017)
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 07:01 PM
Mule Barn Proprietor

Thanked 5,295 Times in 2,844 Posts
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
If all you want to do is spike a dyno to 425 , but then realistically use the truck towing , daily driving , jackassing around, at the 375 hp the cooling system can handle .... hx35, wiretap box , 7x.010s or 7x.011s , and whatever you need in your particular transmission to get it to the ground . Throw your egt gauge in the trash . Have fun .

This Machine Thrills Fascists
No more Cummings

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 09:36 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblinhorse View Post
I am not sure where I will be but I am doing to my nv5600 truck.

Valair 400hp HD single (still in the box)

DAP 7x.0085 vco(still in the box)

Fass95

4" magnaflow

BHAF

And I am going to buy a Quad adrenaline

I run 265/70/17 and have 3.54s

I am thinking I will be upper 300s and right now I get right at 19.5 mpg for my daily mixed drive, so hoping to improve on that to low 20's.

Just some friendly advice, be careful with that clutch. Valair makes a great product but the brass woven organic (which is what I'm assuming you got), won't last too long at the power you're going to be putting down with those injectors and the Quadzilla.

Expensive experience and wish I would have jumped to a dual sooner.

"To succeed in life, you need two things: ignorance and confidence."
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 10:42 PM
Cummins Nut

Garage
For conversations sake, my truck
7x010s
Bhaf
Hx35
Stock downpipe
Edge drag comp
And ad150
235/85s x3.54 gear
No idea what its putting out HP / TQ wise
But it stomps all over my buddy's chipped up 3rd gen with 37s and whatever else.
I think its a great combo and I've just touched 23mpg on my drive from colorado to missouri and back. I consider my combo to be fun as hell And not too much that I sacrifice longevity or reliability..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode