Cummins Diesel Forum banner

300k on stock head studs

2K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  me78569 
#1 ·
I've got about 300k on stock head studs but within the last month I've added a few power mods. I added a airdog 150, 4 inch exhaust, and I just purchased a quadzilla adrenaline, I also have 50 hp Injectors. With the mods that I have done how much of a risk am I running of blowing a head gasket. I do plan to baby the truck majority of the time but when I do get on it I'll be hard on it. Also what is the highest tune i can adjust to and have fun but also be safe. What kind of luck have you guys had with stock head studs with high miles. Also i don't think the head gasket has ever been replaced. I have read about over torquing the head studs but I've also read horror stories about how they break all the time. What is your guys opinion, how far can I push it or should I just bite the bullet and get head studs.

#5 ·
There's no definitive answer to your question.

Either drive it until the head gasket gives out, or go ahead and put a new gasket in with studs.

Or just do studs, and see if it blows.

And with your mods, there shouldn't be a huge concern, but, stock trucks blow head gaskets as well. Just depends on the condition it's in.

#8 ·
[/quote]

Maybe.

Just depends on where it fails. It could start to leak a little coolant externally and be driveable for a while, or it could fill your crank case with coolant and cause major damage.[/QUOTE]

Looks like I'm gonna have to cross my fingers on this one. Ive heard if I don't advance the timing past 7 degrees and boost above 40 psi I'll be okay. Any thoughts on that?

#10 ·
I'll be getting my iquad in the mail Tuesday so I'll be able to get some hands on finnaly then. I've done a lot of reading of the quadzilla and the tunes, but it seems so complicated to me right now since I don't have any thing at the moment to get any actual interaction with the unit itself. There seems to be so many parameters to set for specific mods. The moparman website is a Goldmine, so much knowledge on one website.

Assuming the stock hx35 won't hit 40 and I dot. Advance timing too much the head gaskets should be happy correct?

#14 ·
I downloaded iQuad and was messing around with it for a while but tried to look for some of the parameters that you guys have been adjusting like RPM limit and power reduction, is there something that I am missing or something else that I need to download in order to be able to adjust all the settings that you guys are doing sorry for all the questions that I am asking I am still learning about all this tuning stuff. Along with this post I have attached a picture of what I am saying is this correct or am I missing something else. I have the IOS version

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.