Holset he400ve VGT - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
98.5-02 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 98-02 Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs up Holset he400ve VGT

Ive been running a HE400ve for a while now. using Steeds Tech controller which is outstanding.
now my turbo is a 66/67. my question is, 67 being the exhaust housing, isnt that small for a big turbocharger? it has a huge exhaust housing casting like the he451ve.

i have 7x.009 sticks now and i hit my egt's at 1450F no problem.
being a 66m compressor turbo, shouldnt i be running 7x.013/14 injector nozzles? will bigger nozzles help turn the turbo faster and help keeping the egts in check with the larger nozzles? or am i waisting my time with this turbo? maybe better off with a he451ve? i landed on a good price on this one hence why i bought it..

It does spool super fast and is comparable to my he351cw, i could say maybe a tad faster spool.

I have a quadzilla and havent played with pump stretch settings yet, i thought about turning down the stretch and adding bigger injectors to assure i get most of the spray in the piston bowls. maybe that would turn down the egts heat wise?

let me know what you guys think.

i do have a big stick cam i just dropped in the truck now and a t4 stainless mainfold.

00 chevy CCLB K3500 cummins 24v, Famous Standalone 68RFE Built Trans,yukon denali interior,2 sunroofs,Raptor 150, Quadzilla PV2,7x0.013 DAP,HE400ve VGT-steeds controller
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 03:36 AM
Western WA President

Thanked 1,960 Times in 1,398 Posts
may end up needing to make your own controller and dialing in the turbo better. Just a thought.

00 24v powered by the high performance "53" block and "Unicorn Injectors" 576hp/1285tq 8/10/2013
2004 Jetta TDI 5spd Malone S1 + dyn EGR/idle tune
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDon16 View Post
my truck is literally full of Panties already...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'strokeThis_'07 View Post
I'll admit, I was sitting here giggling like a little girl
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

My controller is fully adjustable. Laptop controllable, full linear open and closed adjustaments as per boost numbers, also it has full control of exhaust brake. I am talking about wheel sizes as for injector size

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 09:10 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,676 Posts
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
You will be happier with a controller that uses shaft speed rather than boost to control the turbo.... Been there done that. Went through this myself.

More injector would prob help though, if you could control the fuel, I doubt bigger injectors without control will help you much off idle.

Something's off though, I think you are lying to yourself or us, even with the vgt I doubt it spools like a cw. You are saying you have egt issues and want it to light quicker, but it is faster than a cw. Not adding up.

What you need to do is compare your shaft speeds and PR to the map of the turbo and see where you are driving the turbo? My guess is you are driving very hard in an effort to get it lit. I know my boost controlled vgt controller did the same thing because boost alone doesn't give you whag you need.
The Following User Says Thank You to me78569 For This Useful Post:
jlbayes (02-14-2017)
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 09:14 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,171 Times in 1,792 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by me78569 View Post
You will be happier with a controller that uses shaft speed rather than boost to control the turbo.... Been there done that. Went through this myself.

More injector would prob help though, if you could control the fuel, I doubt bigger injectors without control will help you much off idle.

Something's off though, I think you are lying to yourself or us, even with the vgt I doubt it spools like a cw. You are saying you have egt issues and want it to light quicker, but it is faster than a cw. Not adding up.

What you need to do is compare your shaft speeds and PR to the map of the turbo and see where you are driving the turbo? My guess is you are driving very hard in an effort to get it lit. I know my boost controlled vgt controller did the same thing because boost alone doesn't give you whag you need.
Get out of my head.

Jacob, "strictly business" 01 grumpy sob, Calibrated Addiction, Infinite Performance, Farrell Diesel, 97 rclb
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 10:00 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbayes View Post
Get out of my head.
once I get some cookies I will happily move one

00 Dodge 2500 quad 5.9 Cummins, DFI 7x.009, he351ve arduino controller, homebuilt 47re revmax 3.5 messed with vb, Quad adr V2, 4",150 gph, studs/sprgs/psh rds
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

I think you guys are slightly confused what im asking about. Yes the module monitors turbo shaft speed as well, look into the module yourself its impressive. Everything is adjustable. Yes its spools fast as i can have as small as 3cm exhaust housing if wanted up to 26cm. Im talking about WOT and is this turbo able to flow 650hp thats what im asking. Software and programming is nothing you guys need to worry about. Im saying can the turbo with its wheel sizes flow enough to not choke out my exhaust and not have high drive pressures with larger nozzles as i am already hitting high egt's with small 7x.09 nozzles.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 12:48 PM
Diesel Head

You can ignore what we are saying all you like. Trust me I know what the banshee does, I have talked to steed he is a very smart dude. His tuning does not use shaft speed to tune the turbo, only a gauge. I have a 351ve that I have controlled using, boost | boost and drive | drive | tps boost drive | tps rpm boost drive | and finally shaft speed , tps, rpm. There's a reason why I have written about 50 different base tunes for the turbo, you need to know shaft speed as a calibration part of the tune, if you don't know shaft speed you overdrive the turbo across most of the map and you have EGT issues. vane position at 15 psi and 70,000 rpm != 15psi at 120,000 rpm.

I am not going to argue about spool speed...

The point is if you overdrive the turbo you run into high EGT issues, which you have. Right now I have a 351ve with 7 x .009's at 7000' altitude and I can't break 1200*f. so if you are having EGT issues with 451 then your issue is not with the turbo, rather the tuning of the turbo....... You have more than enough fuel now to get the 451 into a happy part of it's map.

so yes it is very much a tuning question. So to answer your question yes the 451 can handle those injectors, IF YOUR TUNING DOESN'T OVERDRIVE THE TURBO. the 451 will flow ~80 lb /min

FYI I have been in a truck with a steed controller and I know EXACTLY what you are talking about with EGT issues. You should not be having EGT issues with your setup

His setup is really cool and he is a very bright dude, but I really wish he would use shaft speed to tune with.
BramanteCummins likes this.

00 Dodge 2500 quad 5.9 Cummins, DFI 7x.009, he351ve arduino controller, homebuilt 47re revmax 3.5 messed with vb, Quad adr V2, 4",150 gph, studs/sprgs/psh rds
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

He has many models of the banshee and has changed it up many times. Hes cahnging it again with tps input as well. Always something new, which one have you tried? And my turbo is a he400ve not a 451. Please read carefully. I cannot find flow rates for my he400ve, hence why i am here asking about it

What controller have you been using that is better? Sounds like you have everything figured out..
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 01:16 PM
Western WA President

Thanked 1,960 Times in 1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guimond47 View Post
He has many models of the banshee and has changed it up many times. Hes cahnging it again with tps input as well. Always something new, which one have you tried? And my turbo is a he400ve not a 451. Please read carefully. I cannot find flow rates for my he400ve, hence why i am here asking about it

What controller have you been using that is better? Sounds like you have everything figured out..
'Me#####" and many others have a huge thread on DIY Arduino VGT controllers.

Basically you get an arduino board, connect some wires and sensors up, and me and others have posted their code they use to flash their arduino boards with which you can download, tweak to your needs and flash to a board of your own.

The HE400VE is fine, though I'm surprised you have one with an electric actuator. They usually come factory with a hydraulic actuator. Buddy has one sitting in his shop right now that came off a machine. (he is a heavy equipment/diesel mechanic) I would love to snag that thing and make a controller for it but I would have to buy an electric actuator for it which is not cheap (think cost of a turbo just for the vane actuator)

00 24v powered by the high performance "53" block and "Unicorn Injectors" 576hp/1285tq 8/10/2013
2004 Jetta TDI 5spd Malone S1 + dyn EGR/idle tune
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDon16 View Post
my truck is literally full of Panties already...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'strokeThis_'07 View Post
I'll admit, I was sitting here giggling like a little girl
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 01:18 PM
Diesel Head

I keep an eye on what he is doing. I have been in a truck with a banshee 1 controller and a banshee II controller. apologies I read the 66 mm and thought 451, If your turbo is a 66 mm he400 then it likely flows ~71 lb /min +-a few That's right on spec for http://www.myholsetturbo.com/manuals...ctionspecs.pdf

but that depends on the exhaust wheel, the 351 ve uses a 65/70 wheel so I would assume yours has a 67 /?? which should flow a bit more as is evident by the pdf. 650hp would be pushing it well beyond it's limits I would expect a cool 500.

regardless doesn't change the point, actually reinforces it. Your turbo should be VERY happy right now. You should be really struggling to top 1100*f. We have very similar fueling and I am running much cooler at a much higher altitude. I could easily run 7 x .010's and be at the top of the map or 7 x .011's and be pushing the map. Your turbo should be able to handle 7 x .010's like mine handles 7 x .009's and 7 x .011's and be happy.

I built my own controller. I even posted all the code on how to make it yourself. And yes I do have it figured out, took ALOT of coding and trial and error, but I am beyond happy now.

however Lil' Blackbox » ? has a controller that does use shaft speed. I've watched number of guys have jumped ship over the last few years and they all report the same thing.....like I said Steed is a very very sharp guy, but I really wish he used shaft speed. His setup would be the bee's knees if he did.

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 03:09 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,171 Times in 1,792 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
You WILL NOT make 650hp with that turbo without drugs. Turbine wheel is far too small. Sorry.

Jacob, "strictly business" 01 grumpy sob, Calibrated Addiction, Infinite Performance, Farrell Diesel, 97 rclb
The Following User Says Thank You to jlbayes For This Useful Post:
me78569 (02-14-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode