nv5600 clutches - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
98.5-02 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 98-02 Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
nv5600 clutches

Ok guys I finally got my setup about where I want it until i get the stuff to ppump it and of course the clutch started slipping Ive got the full ceramic single disk that supposed to hold 600hp now and after talking to the guys at valair it looks like i may have underpowered the clutch and burnt it up He said the street dual disc (rated at 650hp) is probably my best option and offered to give me a good deal on it. Are any of you guys running this clutch? If so how does it shift? The main reason I got the single is because i love how nicely it shifts. I can really shift this thing faster than any other truck transmission ive ever seen. I have plans to add more power (maybe 800-1000) within the next couple years so I want something thats really gonna last a while. He also said the street triple wouldn't be a bad choice but i heard over on comp d that you can ruin a triple by underpowering it??? Opinions? and before yall tell me to swap in an auto, yes i want to swap to a full manual vb auto just don't have the money atm.

01 slt 24 valve 6 speed nv5600
Fass 150, BHAF, Quad adrenaline, SO VP, dap 6x.013 sac injectors, 69/74/.80sxe, valair 600hp ceramic single disc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 04:12 PM
Diesel Freak

Ive never really heard of underpowering a clutch but if you're going for 800-1000 Id just go with one of the competition dual disks.

02 6 speed QCSB, leveled, cowl hood, 6000K HIDs, drag comp, DAP 7x.010 SAC sticks, SB 3250 dd clutch, 5in exhaust, AFE intake, Fass 150, glowshift (EGT,boost,FP), chrome 20x14 xd riots, 33x12.5x20 toyo m/t, follow me on instagram for truck pics @pr0ject_blue
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins_freak777 View Post
Ive never really heard of underpowering a clutch but if you're going for 800-1000 Id just go with one of the competition dual disks.
My main concern with that is the shock on the transmission. The comp doesnt have springs and according to the guy at valair they tend to snap input shafts easier. Still not against it but im thinking i would just go for the triple at that point

Fass 150, BHAF, Quad adrenaline, SO VP, dap 6x.013 sac injectors, 69/74/.80sxe, valair 600hp ceramic single disc.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 04:22 PM
Diesel Freak

Well I did read a write up on clutches for the nv and g56 transmissions and it suggested not to go with a pressure plate rated above 3250. Instead do a triple disk with a 3250 plate which is still capable of holding power because of more friction but also puts less load on the transmission parts. Really the only reason they suggested not to do the 3600 or 3850 clutches is because launching and dumping the clutch puts a lot of stress on the trans. Id say if you're easier on it and drive it more normally it wouldn't be as big of a deal. Those are the south bend pressure plates idk about the valair but it should be similar.

02 6 speed QCSB, leveled, cowl hood, 6000K HIDs, drag comp, DAP 7x.010 SAC sticks, SB 3250 dd clutch, 5in exhaust, AFE intake, Fass 150, glowshift (EGT,boost,FP), chrome 20x14 xd riots, 33x12.5x20 toyo m/t, follow me on instagram for truck pics @pr0ject_blue
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 04:22 PM

I just put in a street dual full ceramic from valair with the 3800 pressure plate I love it so far I think shifts are a little slower than my single was but still shifts very good
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Well I did read a write up on clutches for the nv and g56 transmissions and it suggested not to go with a pressure plate rated above 3250. Instead do a triple disk with a 3250 plate which is still capable of holding power because of more friction but also puts less load on the transmission parts. Really the only reason they suggested not to do the 3600 or 3850 clutches is because launching and dumping the clutch puts a lot of stress on the trans. Id say if you're easier on it and drive it more normally it wouldn't be as big of a deal. Those are the south bend pressure plates idk about the valair but it should be similar.
Gotcha, I will have to take another look at southbend but their website is horrible. I dont ever launch it but once i get rollin it sees some pretty good abuse lol

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 04:36 PM
Diesel Freak

Yeah their website leaves something left to be desired but from the way they do business I doubt many people really look on there for info. I just went to all the big diesel performance websites and looked at the features of the clutches and picked what I wanted. Im very pleased with mine its a little more grabby and has some chatter to it but I kinda like the chatter. It does take slightly longer to shift but the difference is so small I dont really ever notice it. Im still getting used to it so occasionally ill let out on the clutch on accident before it goes in but thats only when im romping on it. I usually float gears on it.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Yeah their website leaves something left to be desired but from the way they do business I doubt many people really look on there for info. I just went to all the big diesel performance websites and looked at the features of the clutches and picked what I wanted. Im very pleased with mine its a little more grabby and has some chatter to it but I kinda like the chatter. It does take slightly longer to shift but the difference is so small I dont really ever notice it. Im still getting used to it so occasionally ill let out on the clutch on accident before it goes in but thats only when im romping on it. I usually float gears on it.
OK sweet , i guess im over thinking the shifting part. Its mainly because i've driven a dual disc nv4500 and HATED it. Ive also see some videos of people drag racing that had to shut it down completely to shift it.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 04:44 PM
Diesel Freak

I was surprised at how similarly it shifted to the stock clutch I had before. Regular driving I never even noticed a difference I only notice it when Im trying to quick shift it which is pretty rare. Grated I only have 3250 so mine may shift better than the bigger clutches. I drove a nv4500 a while ago with one and didnt notice a difference either except for pedal pressure because his had a bigger pressure plate. Ive also got a custom shifter that is slightly weighted on the end that helps with my shifts. Its a snapon pry bar handle for their big 3/4in pry bars.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cummins_freak777 View Post
ive also got a custom shifter that is slightly weighted on the end that helps with my shifts. Its a snapon pry bar handle for their big 3/4in pry bars.
pics!!! 8910

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 12:43 AM
Diesel Freak

Here it is. I recently came up with the idea of getting one of the smaller ones and making it the 4x4 shifter. I think it would be really cool to take the metal piece out of the end of the handles and have them both engraved with the shift pattern then color match the plastic handle part.

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Here it is. I recently came up with the idea of getting one of the smaller ones and making it the 4x4 shifter. I think it would be really cool to take the metal piece out of the end of the handles and have them both engraved with the shift pattern then color match the plastic handle part.
haha that is cool! I might would try something like that if I didnt like my b&m T style knob so much

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode