nv5600 clutches - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
98.5-02 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 98-02 Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 01:09 AM
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Yeah I gotcha! I just wanted something different that no one has. I need to take it off and fill that tube with sound dampening something because it carries a lot of clutch noise through it. I wasnt sure if id like the length but its really nice and if I want the throw to be short I just grab it at the bottom of the handle cuz thats where the stock one ends anyways. I can honestly shift it just as fast from the top tho so I usually just do that.

02 6 speed QCSB, leveled, cowl hood, 6000K HIDs, drag comp, DAP 7x.010 SAC sticks, SB 3250 dd clutch, 5in exhaust, AFE intake, Fass 150, glowshift (EGT,boost,FP), chrome 20x14 xd riots, 33x12.5x20 toyo m/t, follow me on instagram for truck pics @pr0ject_blue
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 01:11 AM
Diesel Freak

Garage
Wait a minute here... has anyone ever heard of "underpowering" a clutch?
In my 50 years, about 45 of it being a motörhead, I've never heard of that and just cannot see how going easy on a clutch will damage it!

'99 Quad Cab 4x4 Dually Quadzilla Adrenaline, HX35, RV275s, 47RE triple disc billet everything, lockup switch, 4.10s, Gear Vendors OD, Kelderman Air Ride, Alcoas, 4" pipes, BD exhaust brake, Fass Titanium 95, Hellwig sway, Air Lift overloads, Mexican block
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 01:15 AM
Diesel Freak

I was thinking the same thing! I looked it up earlier basically its where the vehicle doesnt have enough power to engage the clutch correctly so you have to slip it to get it to engage. Of course letting out on the clutch at any time does have some slight bit of slip but basically I think it means just dont take too long letting out on the pedal. At least thats what I took from it

02 6 speed QCSB, leveled, cowl hood, 6000K HIDs, drag comp, DAP 7x.010 SAC sticks, SB 3250 dd clutch, 5in exhaust, AFE intake, Fass 150, glowshift (EGT,boost,FP), chrome 20x14 xd riots, 33x12.5x20 toyo m/t, follow me on instagram for truck pics @pr0ject_blue
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstermaker View Post
Wait a minute here... has anyone ever heard of "underpowering" a clutch?
In my 50 years, about 45 of it being a motörhead, I've never heard of that and just cannot see how going easy on a clutch will damage it!
Same here... But they know more about the workings of the clutch than me, which is why i wanted to ask here also. Basically my clutch is glazed over for some reason or another but according to the guy at valair its got to do with slipping the clutch. He told me with the single you kinda have to go all or nothing. Sounds almost like dumping the clutch every time you take off

01 slt 24 valve 6 speed nv5600
Fass 150, BHAF, Quad adrenaline, SO VP, dap 6x.013 sac injectors, 69/74/.80sxe, valair 600hp ceramic single disc.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 02:39 AM
Diesel Freak

Yeah Ive heard some of those big singles can be a trick to drive. Theyre really grabby which makes sense with less friction potential to make the clutch engage hard so there isnt slip. Ive only driven one once and it was in a 1st gen and the dang thing stalled on me cuz it grabbed too hard. Id say youre probably better off with a dual disk. Im guessing what he's getting at is that when you take off youre on the clutch long enough to try and get a smooth engagement that it ends up slipping too much and gets the disk and fly wheel hot enough that it glazes the fly wheel.

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins_freak777 View Post
Yeah Ive heard some of those big singles can be a trick to drive. Theyre really grabby which makes sense with less friction potential to make the clutch engage hard so there isnt slip. Ive only driven one once and it was in a 1st gen and the dang thing stalled on me cuz it grabbed too hard. Id say youre probably better off with a dual disk. Im guessing what he's getting at is that when you take off youre on the clutch long enough to try and get a smooth engagement that it ends up slipping too much and gets the disk and fly wheel hot enough that it glazes the fly wheel.
See that makes since to me. What I dont understand is how that is related to the amount of hp the truck makes. Im kinda tossing around the idea of pulling it out and maybe trying to rough up the clutch surface and throw it back in as it will be a while before I can afford the dual disk

Fass 150, BHAF, Quad adrenaline, SO VP, dap 6x.013 sac injectors, 69/74/.80sxe, valair 600hp ceramic single disc.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 12:52 PM

Replacing a clutch can be a tough job because the transmission is heavy. It can also be extremely dangerous and could cause bodily harm or damage to your vehicle, especially if someone is doing the work who isn’t trained in slipping clutch repair. However, if you are determined to do the repairs, yourself, it’s important to keep a few things in mind.

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 12:58 PM
Diesel Freak

If you have a place that does it near you and a lot of spare time you might consider getting the fly wheel turned. Theyll do it on a lathe so the surface is perfectly flat. Personally I wouldnt wanna do all that work for something that may or may not work but thats just me.

post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickb140 View Post
Replacing a clutch can be a tough job because the transmission is heavy. It can also be extremely dangerous and could cause bodily harm or damage to your vehicle, especially if someone is doing the work who isn’t trained in slipping clutch repair. However, if you are determined to do the repairs, yourself, it’s important to keep a few things in mind.
I work at a diesel shop so i do all my own work. Ive done my fair share of clutches just never "fixed" a clutch and put it back in

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins_freak777 View Post
If you have a place that does it near you and a lot of spare time you might consider getting the fly wheel turned. Theyll do it on a lathe so the surface is perfectly flat. Personally I wouldnt wanna do all that work for something that may or may not work but thats just me.
Agreed. The only reson im considering it is bc im actually between jobs atm and it will be a while before i can get a dual disk. But ill probably just run this one and take it easyish for now.

post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 10:18 PM
Diesel Freak

Yeah I understand that! I mean if it hasnt been slipping for a while and completely worn itself out id say you could baby it for a while and not hurt it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode