Cold air intake - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
98.5-02 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 98-02 Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 12:09 AM
Automotive Connoisseur

Thanked 1,583 Times in 1,250 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I just installed an S&B. My reasons were as follows:

-factory style mounting
-mostly enclosed box for adverse conditions where water may splash into the engine compartment and soak an BHAF style open filter
-solid mounting of filter so it is not bouncing around on the fender like open filters
-factory box was starting to allow edges of filter to pass very minute dust particles through which is unacceptable
-S&B box is designed to take air in exactly through the factory location, so too cold of air should not be a problem

I'm happy with it, fit and finish was excellent. All parts fit together very tightly so no dust will get in anywhere. Also I am choosing to only run a dry filter, I'm not even going to test the waters with an oiled filter. Dry filter will get replaces when it gets too packed with dust. Blowing with compressed air or washing will break down filter media. $$ saved by reusing filters is not worth the problems that occur after long term use to me.

2002 6 SPEED QCSB 4x4

- in a state of flux -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 2003 Honda Element... Economical, Reliable, Utilitarian, and Ugly -
- 1998 Chevrolet Suburban... Tool Hauling Service Rig -
- 1973 Volkswagen Beetle... In storage, future project car -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 01:17 PM
krs

Garage
I have never had an issue on my 07 which had 278000kms on it when I sold it, always had oiled filter. You are more likely to get dust intrusion from a loose hose clamp. The only thing I will say about S&B that isn't good is their choice of hose clamps. But you can easily upgrade those to something much stronger and spring loaded.

15 Ram 5500 CC60" SLT AS69RC 4.88, Brutus Deck, Maxilift 330.4, BD PAS, RaceMe Ultra Twister Resonator Stack, S&B, Toyo
14 Ram 3500 CCLBDRW Laramie AS69RC 3.73, Espar, TrailReady Fr FabFours Rr Bumper, Rigid,S&B, BD PAS, RaceMe Ultra Twister Resonator, Fox 2.0, 1-pc DS, Toyo
06 Ram 3500 CCLBDRW Laramie 48re 3.73 Espar, ARB, Kenwood, Miller, BD PAS
14 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW Laramie (which is more like a 3/4 ton than a real 1 ton
) 68rfe 3.42, RaceMe Tuning with Edge CTS w/ pyro, StrPipe, GoodYear
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 02:28 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,682 Posts
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
I'd rather filter my air, so I stick with dry filters. I'd rather not worry about too much or not enough oil. The bhaf will last many years and provides good filtering.

Here's tests on various filters and how much dirt they pass....

K&N Air Filter Review - Debunking the Myths (and why OEM is better)

post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 03:04 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,408 Times in 1,921 Posts
There's no denying the lack of filtration a K&N will offer on these forced induction engines, but I cant speak the same for all oiled filters. For instance, I've had an oiled aFe on my truck for around a decade. To this day the inlet is sparkling clean. As I've said before, when it eventually gets too clogged up I'll replace it with a BHAF just because I dont feel like going through the effort of cleaning and re-oiling. But I have to say I got my money out of this one for sure.
krs likes this.

'01 2500 Sport 4x4 5spd w/Fastcoolers, Mag-Hytec, EZ, RV275's, 4" w/o muffler, South Bend, Steering brace, aFe, 2 lo kit, Isspro Boost, FP, and EGT on pillar, Westach Trans/Diff temp gauge in dash pod, Raptor 100 w/ 1/2" line, Pac Brake, Rancho 9000, 285's
post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 03:11 PM
krs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KATOOM View Post
There's no denying the lack of filtration a K&N will offer on these forced induction engines, but I cant speak the same for all oiled filters. For instance, I've had an oiled aFe on my truck for around a decade. To this day the inlet is sparkling clean. As I've said before, when it eventually gets too clogged up I'll replace it with a BHAF just because I dont feel like going through the effort of cleaning and re-oiling. But I have to say I got my money out of this one for sure.
K&N is sold at Canadian Tire just the same as FRAM. Don't use them. Garbage.

15 Ram 5500 CC60" SLT AS69RC 4.88, Brutus Deck, Maxilift 330.4, BD PAS, RaceMe Ultra Twister Resonator Stack, S&B, Toyo
14 Ram 3500 CCLBDRW Laramie AS69RC 3.73, Espar, TrailReady Fr FabFours Rr Bumper, Rigid,S&B, BD PAS, RaceMe Ultra Twister Resonator, Fox 2.0, 1-pc DS, Toyo
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 04:13 PM
Mopar1973Man.Com

Thanked 4,120 Times in 3,247 Posts
It all depends on your use of the truck. Like most folks they have what I call pavement princess that rarely leave the the pavement. These people tend to get away with washable filters really easy because the amount of blowing dust is rare to see in city environments.

Now on the other hand like where I live the only paved road is the highway. Most the towns around me have dirt streets. Then lot of use go up in the forest for firewood and hunting. I've got old videos of me coming down forestry roads with dust sliding down the windshield. Oiled filter?! Never work out here.

Yes. I'm offroad quite a bit... My BHAF after a weekend hauling firewood.

I've seen so many of washable filters plugged so bad that the filter is deformed from the vacuum a diesel engine can place on them. You ask the owner about it he'll tell you, "I've got to wash and oil it every weekend because its always plugged up". Just about every washable filter I've removed I find turbos that look like this...

If you see anything on the turbo that filter is ready for the trash can. I've seen several low mileage washable filters (less than 1,000 miles) where the turbo looks the same way. Again I live in a dirt road area not a paved city.

Mopar1973Man.Com -=- Michael Nelson -=- Mopar1973Man -=- Achieve Your Destination
2002 Dodge 2500 (291k miles) - Quadzilla Adrenaline, +75 DAP Injectors, HX35/40 60/60/12, BHAF, 3" Flow Through Muffled Exhaust, AirDog 150 (10 years old)
1996 Dodge 1500 (164k miles) - 5.9L V8, Dynamic 46RE Tranmission, Mopar Performance PCM

Last edited by Mopar1973Man; 01-22-2017 at 04:26 PM.
post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 04:32 PM
krs

Garage
My 2014 looked way way worse than that with totally stock engine and intake. Now it's clean without having blow-by dumping into the turbo and I clean my air filter every 15-20k kms.

It's easy for people to not wash and re-oil properly. That is something only I do on my trucks. Would never pay someone else to do it. Anything not used properly will cause issues.

post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 05:21 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,408 Times in 1,921 Posts
I think a big variable depends more on where you live and how you take care of your vehicles. I'm not sure I'd call my truck a pavement princess either. For example, I use my truck plenty offroad. Every year I collect roughly 6-8 cords of wood driving on the back fire roads. I also have gravel roads where I live too and the pavement roads around here are anything but smooth. We have a full time asphalt cold patch crew here who 'try" to stay ahead of the constant pot holes. If we ever get a newly paved road then we all act like in the Disney cartoon Cars.....

But.....above all I am very particular about not driving in dusty areas and conditions. If I do then I certainly dont follow anyone. Plus I vacuum my truck all the time. If I had a dollar for every time someone got in my truck and said "wow your truck is like new" or "it smells new". Usually they then ask how I do it and my response is always....."I just care". Typically followed by me then telling them "dont open the door until I shut off the engine because its bad for the door hinges".

'01 2500 Sport 4x4 5spd w/Fastcoolers, Mag-Hytec, EZ, RV275's, 4" w/o muffler, South Bend, Steering brace, aFe, 2 lo kit, Isspro Boost, FP, and EGT on pillar, Westach Trans/Diff temp gauge in dash pod, Raptor 100 w/ 1/2" line, Pac Brake, Rancho 9000, 285's
post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 12:05 AM
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanb02 View Post
I just installed an S&B. My reasons were as follows:

-factory style mounting
-mostly enclosed box for adverse conditions where water may splash into the engine compartment and soak an BHAF style open filter
-solid mounting of filter so it is not bouncing around on the fender like open filters
-factory box was starting to allow edges of filter to pass very minute dust particles through which is unacceptable
-S&B box is designed to take air in exactly through the factory location, so too cold of air should not be a problem

I'm happy with it, fit and finish was excellent. All parts fit together very tightly so no dust will get in anywhere. Also I am choosing to only run a dry filter, I'm not even going to test the waters with an oiled filter. Dry filter will get replaces when it gets too packed with dust. Blowing with compressed air or washing will break down filter media. $$ saved by reusing filters is not worth the problems that occur after long term use to me.
would you be kind enough to post some pictures of it installed? im thinking of going with an S&B

2002 RAM 2500 24V CUMMINS, QCLB, AUTO. 4" MBRP TURBO BACK EXHAUST, CRAZY CARLS SUPER BHAF, DANIEL STERN HEADLIGHT RELAY HARNESS, & MOPAR OEM SPORT HEADLAMPS. Isspro EV2 electrical fuel pressure, trans temp, boost, & EGT gauge.
post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 12:26 AM
Automotive Connoisseur

Thanked 1,583 Times in 1,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManualTrans View Post
would you be kind enough to post some pictures of it installed? im thinking of going with an S&B
It's in my build thread, but here you go:

Clear cover is nice, that way it is easy to see when the filter starts to get nasty.

2002 6 SPEED QCSB 4x4

- in a state of flux -

- 2003 Honda Element... Economical, Reliable, Utilitarian, and Ugly -
- 1998 Chevrolet Suburban... Tool Hauling Service Rig -
- 1973 Volkswagen Beetle... In storage, future project car -
post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 12:34 AM
Cummins Fanatic

Oh yea. Very nice, thank you. Is the turbo whine noticeably louder?

2002 RAM 2500 24V CUMMINS, QCLB, AUTO. 4" MBRP TURBO BACK EXHAUST, CRAZY CARLS SUPER BHAF, DANIEL STERN HEADLIGHT RELAY HARNESS, & MOPAR OEM SPORT HEADLAMPS. Isspro EV2 electrical fuel pressure, trans temp, boost, & EGT gauge.
post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

Ended up going with the s&b dry filter will post pics when it's installed...thanks for all the input everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode