Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Thinking about switching to Quad

1K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  Rylobrez 
#1 ·
I have ran my Edge for about six years with no problems and I have really been happy with it, Now that I have my new turbo installed can't get over 45psi. I called Edge yesterday and they say the old ver 5 unit that I own can't go over 45psi.
I was given a buy back option and he described the new edge unit, but he says I would need a different harness or boost fooler to achieve over 45psi.

I'm reaching out to you guys to see what the best option is. I could get a new IQuad for around $675, but I haven't called them to find out what boost levels it can control.

My truck is extremely fast at 45 and being a manual with a SB clutch I can only really accelerate in 3-4-5th. Its pointless to try to grab a gear fast with that clutch.

Lets hear your opinions. Thanks in advance

#2 ·
I have been thinking about this as well after reading this
https://mopar1973man.com/topic/11729-quadzilla-v2-testing/
I haven't had my comp very long and don't get me wrong, it's great, but the tuning options with the quad are just amazing! I'm chasing clean power and I know I need injectors, but it sounds like the quad would help even more!

#3 ·
Edge is blowing smoke. Edge's custom service really seems to be out there to screw the customer in these cases.......

Most 2nd gen truck will not reliably read over about 45-50 psi as that is what the Oem sensor is good to. Some seem to read good above 55psi others don't I am sure the age of your map plays into that. Techincally I think it is a 0-57 psi sensor. I think Tyler sees 62 psi using his quad, but that will differ from sensor to sensor.

Regardless of all of that if you are seeing boost levels above 40psi you need to have a 2nd boost gauge that reads from a 0-100 psi sensor rather than the oem 0-57 psi that all the tuners use. A stand alone gauge is needed. You simply cannot base you psi readings off a oem map sensor reading above 40-45 psi.

Aynthing over 20 psi is typically handled using a map in the background to send the fueling command because the ecm is only seeing 20 psi. so no new boost fooler is needed and really is irrelivant in this case. However typically the canbus message is maxed out by 25 psi anyways so a tuning change is a complete lie.

#4 ·
Thanks. I will plan to get a secondary Boost gauge soon. Curious to see what the actual boost is. New excuse to buy my Iss Pro set

#5 ·
Alright so in my truck i have the super b special turbo 64.5mm with bd 100 horse injectors. Stock vp44. They claim i can get 45psi out of that turbo, is that true?. Well anyway i have the edge cs with attitude and all i can get is 37 psi boost max on lvl 6 is there anything i should look into so i can get over 40. I do have the stock intercooler. Should i be getting a different boost guage. Just by reading this thread sounds like i need to get rid of the edge and go for the quad?

#9 ·
Only way you will know it to check yourself.

That's a pretty big turbo, I'd say at least 150's-200's

However I wouldn't be so worried about boost. Just because a piece of paper says x psi doesn't mean the setup is broken because you can't reach it.

Does it drive well?

#12 ·
Yeah you are going to need bigger injectors than you have. Im surprised you can get it to spool. You don't need a bigger vp. The VP can handle 150's-200's. Your fass setup will support those injectors.

#16 ·
Sorry. I started this thread then I was away from my computer for a few days.

As I commented before I plan on getting new gauges, Iss Pro. Then I may decide to run a new Quad.

To comment on Rylobrez. I had Dfi 100 injectors when i put the new turbo in and it definitely needed more fuel. After I got my 150s in it made way more power and was able to spool lower. If i stomp on it before its spooled I smoke way too much on level 6, but after it lights it runs pretty clean towards the top of my tach. Its still fueling as there is a light haze.

I would really recommend calling Chris at DFI and discuss your option.

Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.