Quadzilla V2 Testing - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
98.5-02 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 98-02 Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

86Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #13 of 531 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 02:36 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,153 Times in 1,776 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFaoro View Post
The only thing I'm not satisfied with here yet is the jump once it's above 17psi. When I have it to the floor it's not an issue; Barely noticeable except the puff of smoke. The problem comes when I hold the throttle constant. Ex: When I hold it at 25% throttle the boost will steadily climb from 0 to 17 then jumps straight to 36 and the power comes in hard. I don't like the way it does that at constant throttle. I'm not sure if this is something I can tune out, or of the tuner can work on it.
Sounds like the transition point like I get with my compounds. Probably wouldn't be as exaggerated with a bigger single turbo. Gonna play with mine this weekend to try and get the transition a bit less aggressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killkornflakes View Post
This might actually get me to buy the quad, because I've always thought if the quad (excuse me for this) "did what the edge comp does" in terms of low boost fuel "tune-ability", because like TFaoro I have DAP 7X0.13 sacs but with a 69mm sxe. And Its fine smoke wise but with this edge I feel like it could be more aggressive, and it sounds like the quad might win me over with this new updated tuning.
I was never happy with edge tuning on my truck. Fueled too hard down low and fell off too quick up top. Yours drag/hot unlocked?

Jacob, "strictly business" 01 grumpy sob, Calibrated Addiction, Infinite Performance, Farrell Diesel, 97 rclb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 531 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 03:26 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
It's hot unlocked I feel like it doesn't fuel hard down low but it's pretty good up top

Big Injecto's, Big turbine, all Mighty vp44/scheid vp44, Quadzilla iquad.(High pressure fuel systems am I right..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
) #Vp44OrBust "screw led's im replacing all my light with scented candles"
post #15 of 531 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 04:16 PM
Western WA President

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbayes View Post
Sounds like the transition point like I get with my compounds. Probably wouldn't be as exaggerated with a bigger single turbo. Gonna play with mine this weekend to try and get the transition a bit less aggressive.
you can tune that out with the can/pump TPS settings...

Think I have mine set to something like 80% for pump and 60 or 70% for canbus.

These settings would be lower for trucks without large injectors, but for those of us with larger injectors, we really don't need the added fueling unless we put our foot into it...

Now this new tuning has me very skeptical... 50% power at idle. if true, how does that react to anti-stall, especially on a truck with large injectors. I know with the smarty on 50% power tune my anti-stall is pretty much non-existent. where with it at stock power, anti-stall will belch a black puff if on a hill or have a trailer behind the truck.

not an issue with automatics, but definitely seems like it would be an issue for those of us with manual transmissions...

00 24v powered by the high performance "53" block and "Unicorn Injectors" 576hp/1285tq 8/10/2013
2004 Jetta TDI 5spd Malone S1 + dyn EGR/idle tune
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDon16 View Post
my truck is literally full of Panties already...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'strokeThis_'07 View Post
I'll admit, I was sitting here giggling like a little girl

post #16 of 531 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 09:04 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,640 Posts
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Not really sure what you are skeptical about?

Idle state fueling is not adjusted only APPS inputted fueling is adjusted. so depending on how the anti stall works it may still work as normal, Tylers truck didn't seem to have issues with this. You can do a sudo anti stall be simply setting 0 psi to a slightly higher % than 1 psi.

If you set it for %50 then you will get %50 if you set it for %75 you will get %75, so it is not a half power mode, rather a power reduction scale, based upon user input. This is no different than tuning a truck with EFI live, if you tune badly your truck will run badly. for the lvl 3 canbus fueling you would not set the 0psi % to 50. Even with Tyler's 300 hp injectors we had it set to %75 I think. Tuning your anti stall to work well might require a higher % at 0 psi vs 1 psi, I dunno. Point is you can tune that with this new tuning.

Keep in mind that this is all controlled via the custom tunes so you can have a trailer tune and a dd tune and a smoke free tune and a low grunt tune, switching just requires clicking the new tune so it is on the fly.

Like Tyler I am testing this also.

My impressions with it is that my usable throttle range is more like stock now when driving around town. I am not relying on a given apps point to limit fueling / smoke. Before the truck was mostly driven between 0 and 25 % APPS input. Now I am using 0 - 50 to get around.

The truck isn't slower however, but you need to get used to using more throttle than before since you are able to go past the TPS points without worry of smoking out the guy behind you. This means you feel like the truck is laggier, but doing side by side data logging I can see that the truck is faster if the main requirement is not smoking out the guy behind you. I will have to export my data logs with the time passing to show this. Where as before you hit %40 throttle and you had almost %100 worth of fuel you now need to be using %60-70 throttle to get the same fueling.

With this said I am able to drive the truck much more preppy without smoke compared to before. I no longer have to leave a stop light by going to %15, hold for a second then %25, then %30, I can just put my foot to %30 or %50 and it goes without the smoke, if I keep holding at %50 boost will build and before I know it I am moving pretty dang good. I would say that my truck significantly cleaner up at this altitude compared to what it used to be like at sea level.

Wiretap scaling is a nice feature so I can ensure that I am not hitting the pump TPS min without boost, before I would sometimes be climbing a hill at just under the wiretap point, then I would hit the wiretap point and the truck would start rolling coal because there was too much load for the revs and fueling. Or I would be trying to merge and hit the wiretap min and I was smoking out everyone on the sidewalk.

I need to spend more time tuning in the 4-8 psi range, but I think it is a nice improvement in terms of being used around town with some peppy driving, no more watching my passenger mirror watching for smoke. The power is still there when I want it.

Here is my old DD tune snapping to %50 ish and %35 ish OEM fueling no canbus no wiretap

and here is leaving a stop light with the v2 at a %0 to %45 throttle snap had to let off about half way through the intersection due to someone turning Canbus and wiretap

00 Dodge 2500 quad 5.9 Cummins, DFI 7x.009, he351ve arduino controller, homebuilt 47re revmax 3.5 messed with vb, Quad adr V2, 4",150 gph, studs/sprgs/psh rds
post #17 of 531 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 01:05 AM
Diesel Head

how would it react to big stick big single trucks? i feel like if it detunes it enough for no smoke, it wont be able to spool the turbo too well. i dont consider my truck to have huge sticks, or even a 'big' turbo, but its still a chore to drive on the street cleanly. 1/2 power smarty makes it a blast to drive, hardly any smoke even if i try, and still more power than the truck was stock. but my main complaint is no on the fly full power. if the quad has this ability, i will probably switch to them.

i see tyler is running huge sticks with twins, and me is running 7x.009 and a 351. dont wanna come off as a douche, but it shouldnt be too hard to make those setups drive pretty clean. whereas im runnin a 64.5mm single with 7x.011's, takes a bit too spool it up, i lose boost during shifts, and if i lay into it slowly, say 25% throttle until 20psi or so, its 99% smoke free even while accelerating WOT. but i cannot accelerate quickly from a stop without making a mess, just gotta take it a little slow.

im pretty excited for this. if quad would just make a knob, or a switch to go from no smoke to kill, id be in, in a heartbeat

'02 2500 ECLB, 4x4, NV5600 EJWA(hot)/Smarty, Industrial Injection HO VP44, FASS 150, DAP 7x.011's, ARP Studs, 64.5/68/14 SX-E, Kenny's triple disc, 110# springs. 291k and still ticking. 526/1152 as of dec '16
post #18 of 531 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 03:26 AM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by me78569 View Post
Not really sure what you are skeptical about?

Idle state fueling is not adjusted only APPS inputted fueling is adjusted. so depending on how the anti stall works it may still work as normal, Tylers truck didn't seem to have issues with this. You can do a sudo anti stall be simply setting 0 psi to a slightly higher % than 1 psi.

If you set it for %50 then you will get %50 if you set it for %75 you will get %75, so it is not a half power mode, rather a power reduction scale, based upon user input. This is no different than tuning a truck with EFI live, if you tune badly your truck will run badly. for the lvl 3 canbus fueling you would not set the 0psi % to 50. Even with Tyler's 300 hp injectors we had it set to %75 I think. Tuning your anti stall to work well might require a higher % at 0 psi vs 1 psi, I dunno. Point is you can tune that with this new tuning.

Keep in mind that this is all controlled via the custom tunes so you can have a trailer tune and a dd tune and a smoke free tune and a low grunt tune, switching just requires clicking the new tune so it is on the fly.

Like Tyler I am testing this also.

My impressions with it is that my usable throttle range is more like stock now when driving around town. I am not relying on a given apps point to limit fueling / smoke. Before the truck was mostly driven between 0 and 25 % APPS input. Now I am using 0 - 50 to get around.

The truck isn't slower however, but you need to get used to using more throttle than before since you are able to go past the TPS points without worry of smoking out the guy behind you. This means you feel like the truck is laggier, but doing side by side data logging I can see that the truck is faster if the main requirement is not smoking out the guy behind you. I will have to export my data logs with the time passing to show this. Where as before you hit %40 throttle and you had almost %100 worth of fuel you now need to be using %60-70 throttle to get the same fueling.

With this said I am able to drive the truck much more preppy without smoke compared to before. I no longer have to leave a stop light by going to %15, hold for a second then %25, then %30, I can just put my foot to %30 or %50 and it goes without the smoke, if I keep holding at %50 boost will build and before I know it I am moving pretty dang good. I would say that my truck significantly cleaner up at this altitude compared to what it used to be like at sea level.

Wiretap scaling is a nice feature so I can ensure that I am not hitting the pump TPS min without boost, before I would sometimes be climbing a hill at just under the wiretap point, then I would hit the wiretap point and the truck would start rolling coal because there was too much load for the revs and fueling. Or I would be trying to merge and hit the wiretap min and I was smoking out everyone on the sidewalk.

I need to spend more time tuning in the 4-8 psi range, but I think it is a nice improvement in terms of being used around town with some peppy driving, no more watching my passenger mirror watching for smoke. The power is still there when I want it.

Here is my old DD tune snapping to %50 ish and %35 ish OEM fueling no canbus no wiretap
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx681iLXSvw

and here is leaving a stop light with the v2 at a %0 to %45 throttle snap had to let off about half way through the intersection due to someone turning Canbus and wiretap
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaRuYWAPgcg

Man that's a good difference in the videos. It's nice to see you can get the smoke down and not smoking people out just trying to drive around town

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2006 2500 sclb g56 4x4.Mods:cummins tuner efi live,fluidamper,110 springs hd pushrods,200hp T&C diesel injectors,fleece 10mm cp3,pusher 3.5 intake system,arp studs,2nd gen swap s369sxe,valair triple disc, fass 150, guages, traction bars,4 inch straight
post #19 of 531 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 10:26 AM
Diesel Head

If you can drive the truck on 1/2 power mode with the smarty and it moves then you could tune the quad just fine. You caN make the first 5-10 psi 70% - 75% power(pretty close to smarties half power) then start moving the scaling up to gain power. I think you would be surpised about how quickly and how clean the power can be ramped up once boost builds.

I don't see a need for a knob as you have power buttons that do exactly that. Or just select a different custom tune from the menu to go from smoke free DD to low end grunt, it happens on the fly.

As for easy to make clean remember Tyler and I are both at 7000' altitude. If Tyler's truck can run clean up here off idle then anyone's truck can be clean. Even my truck is a smokey mess if you have fueling turned up without this tuning and drive like a jerk.

We have to make an additional 3-4psi off idle before we have the same o2 as you guys have down near sea level at idle.
QuadzillaPower likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to me78569 For This Useful Post:
QuadzillaPower (08-30-2016)
post #20 of 531 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 01:24 PM
Cummins Nut

Garage
I'm super excited for this!! I'm tired of smoking people put on the highway trying to pass people, I'm to the point where I don't even pass anymore cause I feel like a . in town it's fine cause I never hit lockup. When are they releasing this?

99/2500.. 59/74/0.84AR /WG / 7x0.0085 VCO/4" straight/AFE EX Manifold/S&B cold air/ Air dog 150/ QAUD ADR iqaud BT/Billet triple TC/upgraded VB/
92 w250 4x4 5spd/4:10/ Swiss air box/straight piped/ hand throttle
post #21 of 531 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,081 Times in 839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzey View Post
how would it react to big stick big single trucks? i feel like if it detunes it enough for no smoke, it wont be able to spool the turbo too well. i dont consider my truck to have huge sticks, or even a 'big' turbo, but its still a chore to drive on the street cleanly. 1/2 power smarty makes it a blast to drive, hardly any smoke even if i try, and still more power than the truck was stock. but my main complaint is no on the fly full power. if the quad has this ability, i will probably switch to them.

i see tyler is running huge sticks with twins, and me is running 7x.009 and a 351. dont wanna come off as a douche, but it shouldnt be too hard to make those setups drive pretty clean. whereas im runnin a 64.5mm single with 7x.011's, takes a bit too spool it up, i lose boost during shifts, and if i lay into it slowly, say 25% throttle until 20psi or so, its 99% smoke free even while accelerating WOT. but i cannot accelerate quickly from a stop without making a mess, just gotta take it a little slow.

im pretty excited for this. if quad would just make a knob, or a switch to go from no smoke to kill, id be in, in a heartbeat
Ever tried making 300hp sticks clean? Set to stock, I can blow more smoke than someone with 100hp sticks and a box set to kill. It's not easy to make it how I want it.

Now that said, these trucks will never be 100% clean. They just don't have the ability to do it. But if we can reduce the smoke by 90% and make it way easier to drive on the street I'm down.

The best part about the tuning is it's all based on what YOU want. You can try a setting.... if you have no smoke but the turbo won't light, turn it up a bit and try again. It really is super simple, and it's all based on how you set it. In short, yes you can get your larger single to spool no problem with this tuning, it's just a matter of how you decide to set it up.

02 QCSB, nv4500 - G56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, SB DD3250, Fass 95, TST PM3, smarty s03, Quadzilla, Industrial 62/65/12 over s475/83/1.1, Mishimoto Intercooler, DAP 7x.013 sac, O ringed, hardened exhaust seats, 104# springs, chromoly pushrods, studs, hammilton 188/220, fluidampr, .020 over ceramic marine pistons, Carl's horn, home-built traction bars
614/1215 (before twins)
05 QCLB, UDC by me, 62/s475, custom traction bars, nv5600, SB DD, Fass 150, 100% exergy, 85% over CP3, ARP studs, 115# springs, manton pushrods, S&B intake horn 808/1319
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TFaoro For This Useful Post:
gmjason75 (09-23-2016), QuadzillaPower (08-30-2016)
post #22 of 531 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 08:44 PM
Western WA President

Here's some questions for ya.

1. Does this require a new box?
2. Does this require using the stupid iquad, or will the pulse monitors be supported?
would much rather use my PV1, especially since I use it for gauges, and it is mounted to my pillar with the pulse pillar mount... would be a huge change in the truck to get rid of that, and that's not happening. I know a lot of people still have pulse monitors and pillar mounts for them both bought from quad, so to undermine the original supporters of the adrenaline and not allow the pulse monitors to work with this fancy new tuning would not be good.

It can't be that hard to release a driver and flash update for the pulse monitors to support it...

00 24v powered by the high performance "53" block and "Unicorn Injectors" 576hp/1285tq 8/10/2013
Quote:
Quote:
post #23 of 531 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 08:48 PM
Diesel Head

More testing and tuning

Happy to report another day of improvements for my tuning

I got a chance to do a 0% throttle snap to %60 and above from a stop up and hill merging onto an interstate.

Might be a bit hard to see, but I went from 0% directly to %62 and held at ~%70 throttle ( yellow line)....... which is fine and dandy, BUT BUT BUT.... not one ounce of black smoke. And I don't mean once the turbo was lit.........I mean from a standstill to high TPS not one ounce of black smoke.

For a comparison, I went from this
(Obviously not rolling into the throttle)

To clean, nothing more than a very faint haze, and I only say that because I seen something.

I should have gotten a video, but I was not expecting to be able to do the run. Egt's are the same so I am assuming that power is about the same. My butt dyno can't tell the difference. There might be a second more lag or so, but I am really not worried about it.

I am sure at sea level you would not have a lag issue, but that is the nature of the beast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigabop View Post
Here's some questions for ya.

1. Does this require a new box?
2. Does this require using the stupid iquad, or will the pulse monitors be supported?
would much rather use my PV1, especially since I use it for gauges, and it is mounted to my pillar with the pulse pillar mount... would be a huge change in the truck to get rid of that, and that's not happening. I know a lot of people still have pulse monitors and pillar mounts for them both bought from quad, so to undermine the original supporters of the adrenaline and not allow the pulse monitors to work with this fancy new tuning would not be good.

It can't be that hard to release a driver and flash update for the pulse monitors to support it...
1. No box change is needed
2. You need the Iquad at this point. In my mind there is no point in supporting hardware that was designed for systems from over a decade ago, but I dunno what Quad has in mind. I don't even know if it is possible. haha last time I tried to flash a pv1 I bricked it.....

And the section in red is vastly harder than you might think. The pulse hardware is getting nearly 12 years old at this point....Show me anyone that supports that? That would be like going into a bank and telling them that their website should support windows xp even though it was never designed for the secure protocols in place today.

00 Dodge 2500 quad 5.9 Cummins, DFI 7x.009, he351ve arduino controller, homebuilt 47re revmax 3.5 messed with vb, Quad adr V2, 4",150 gph, studs/sprgs/psh rds
post #24 of 531 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 09:19 PM
Western WA President

Quote:
Originally Posted by me78569 View Post

And the section in red is vastly harder than you might think. The pulse hardware is getting nearly 12 years old at this point....Show me anyone that supports that? That would be like going into a bank and telling them that their website should support windows xp even though it was never designed for the secure protocols in place today.
The Adrenaline with pulse came out in 2008..so not even a decade old yet

The Pv2 came out a year later than the PV1, so don't see where you get nears 12 years from?

Quote:
Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode