Cummins Diesel Forum banner

towing power

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  custom cummins 
#1 ·
Hi I have a 2000 24v cummins manual with 100 hp sticks, s&b intake, fass 100 lift pump, edge juice with attitude 4 inch downpipe to 5 inch. I'm getting a 62 industrial injection turbo this weekend and I'm wondering what else I need to make a perfect towing rig but still with around 500 hp?

#2 ·
You don't want to tow with 500hp. That's how things break.... The drivetrain was built for 235-245hp and 460 ft-lbs of torque. With 500 hp you'd probably be around 1,000-1,200 ft-lbs of torque. In short don't tow with that much power!

That said if you're just looking for 500hp you'll need bigger injectors, and make sure the clutch can hold the power.

#3 ·
You can tow with well over 500hp, I do it. Just get a 1.375 tq King Main shaft, fix 5th gear, and a Southbend clutch. And don't beat on your truck when towing. The NV4500 is pretty durable once you fix the issues. I'm adding some fast coolers and a exhaust blanket to lower heat on the tranny also.

#4 ·
Ok sweet thanks ya my tranny is rebuild and was all updated aftermarket parts so I've had no problems with it but ya I've heard of ppl towing with 500 but most those ppl have twins which is what I want but definitely need to watch the egts with the fuel I got

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.