Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Tyler's Build Thread

120K views 1K replies 80 participants last post by  jlbayes 
#1 · (Edited)
Figured I'd get one of these going to document everything I have done and will do to the truck. I have a lot of catching up to do :doh: Will update soon.
So this is what she is:
2002 quad cab short bed blue 5 speed manual

Reactions: cmauto
#3 · (Edited)
Alright where to start....
Here's the day I bought it. April 22nd 2013.
It had aftermarket headlights (Look cool but suck)
Valair 13" single disc clutch
Reman SO vp44
Piece of junk lift pump zip tied to the frame rail
A fuel pressure regulator mounted to the battery box
A single gauge that showed boost and egts, which was hardwired on
A fuel pressure gauge mounted by your left knee with a hard line running to it. The gauge was broke and never went below 15lbs with the truck off.
The only performance mod was a diablo sport power puck.
It came with the "camper package" overload springs and tie downs for the camper
This thing was unmolested and in great shape when I bought it.

Shortly after I got it I bought a smarty (I know that was dumb before other things)

The next week I bought a fass 95 a 3 pillar gauge pod, and 3 gauges (Boost, Pyro, fuel pressure)

I then dressed it up a bit with a new oem grill and center emblem, a set of chrome tow mirrors (2009 style) with blinkers in them, and a 5 inch exhaust tip.

Later that summer I started getting the power bug... That meant an edge comp! My clutch lasted 1 hard pull in 5th gear, then started slipping BAD.
I was pretty pissed because it supposedly had a big enough clutch to hold the power. When I got the trans and clutch out I found the clutch disc was down to the rivets and had grooved both the pressure plate and the flywheel. I guess the PO rode the clutch a bunch.
I put a south bend it 500 hp single disc in and it has held well since.

Well when September came the VP bit the dust. I expected it to because of the crap lift pump when I got it, so no big surprise there.
(Mind you all of this was before finding cumminsforum) I bought an "upgraded" pump from Blue chip thinking that it was expensive so it must be the best (Stupid me). That pump lasted about 4 miles and 15 minutes of run time. It tripped the p0216 code and would not go away no matter how many times I cleared it. Called blue chip and they warrantied it. The next pump lasted about two weeks before I had trouble with it starting and blowing white smoke just cruising down the road. Blue chip claimed it was my truck causing them to go bad. I got pissed and demanded my money back and a core back from him. He deducted the shipping costs of both pumps from my refund (Nice guy right?) I went and bought an Industrial Injection SO and it has been trouble free since!

Early in the spring I started having issues with my tank pressurizing. When I would start it, it would blow white smoke horrible until it warmed up.

Thanks to the help of this forum I found out the copper washer seals on the injectors were leaking and pressurizing the whole system. A set of DAP 95hp injectors fixed that.

The extra power was great, but I needed more air to cool it. I retrofitted the he351cw off of my brother's 05 onto it. I put a batmowheel on it as well. I have a writeup on it as well
http://forum.mopar1973man.com/index.php?/topic/8843-he351cw-swap-on-a-second-gen/

Very shortly after that I decided to go bigger.
Phatshaft 62/65/12

Next I was getting some really bad wheel hop whenever it was wet or cold, so I built a set of traction bars. I need to do a writeup on these sometime.

Alright before winter I decided to change the look a little bit and got her a new set of shoes!
These were off of a 2012 Laramie edition truck. Stock tire size 265/75/17

Here this winter I found a NEW TST pm3 with the R45 remote for way less than new. I had heard good things about it so I sold my comp and scooped it up. I was really happy with how well it fuels and how I was able to use the smarty timing.

Then it was off to paint thanks to dodge's lovely clear coat. While it was getting painted I got the seats reupholstered and some new seat covers.

I'm not sure if anyone has ever driven one of these trucks with the interior stripped and no bed, but they are FAST!

Here's the results after paint

Right after paint I put in some bigger injectors 125 SAC's
Somewhere in there I also got a set of 10" kicker subwoofers and a rockford fosgate amp.

#172 ·
you had a problem with your tank pressure...? how is the fuel tank pressurized? or is that something custom you did? ive run mine with the fuel cap off a few times with no problems haha

#4 ·
Nice looking truck man!

#5 ·
how did you like the 351cw with your smarty and injectors? Obviously you wanted more but I was just curious how it acted compared to your hx.

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks Blaze!

It ran really well! It got a little warm up at high altitudes, but nothing the right foot couldn't control. With the comp set to kill it would pull 45lbs of boost too :hehe:

Off-Road the original grill had a broken piece on the right side that was held on with aluminum tape (PO's work)

#7 ·
And this is how she sits today! Tell me what you think. Opinions?? Anything I should change or improve on?

#8 ·
Beautiful truck! I would look into doing head studs, thuren coils and shocks for the ride!

Reactions: TFaoro
#12 ·
Yeah I'll probably rip it out when I have the chance. I hate it flopping under there.
Thanks for the compliments guys! She's had a lot of blood, sweat, tears, and money thrown into her.

Samurai, how different was the ride with thuren coils and shocks?? This thing rides like a tank. I do have 1" spacers in the front though.

#13 ·
I'm running bilstein 5100's with my thuren coils which from what I have read these shocks are slightly stiff compared to the overland shocks. The coils I have are the 3" coils which are advertised as 3.75" of lift on a 2nd gen, i gained 3.25", but far as the ride they are worth every penny! I thought about going with thuren shocks but I only have a year on the bilsteins, and what I was told by a good source for most highway driving go with the overland shocks, not knocking bilstein. Now he makes a 2" lift coil which has the same spring rate just less lift at will be ok with stock arms. So yes I like the plush ride they offer!

#15 ·
Thanks I'll have to look into them!

Ed I'm not sure if you've driven something with a lot of power when there's no bed and no interior but WOW I was able to spin the tires in 5th gear and I was pulling so hard on the steering wheel I thought I was going to break it off :rof

#16 ·
Ed I'm not sure if you've driven something with a lot of power when there's no bed and no interior but WOW I was able to spin the tires in 5th gear and I was pulling so hard on the steering wheel I thought I was going to break it off :rof[/QUOTE]

Good lookin truck bud! And I still had my interior in, but I drove mine without the bed which I have a toolbox that has a ton of weight in it off... And yeah wow! I couldn't believe the difference. You can't keep the tires from spinnin:thumbsup:

#17 ·
Next time you take the manifold off get some cerakote on there! I did my exhaust housing and manifold and it's actually holding good. Black looks so much better then that rust look. Here's how mine looks. (Not the best pics)

#18 ·
Very nice looking engine bay! Clean :drool2:
I'll have to look into it. I haven't pulled the manifold, but when I do it'll be for a bigger one and a second turbo :party018:
My turbo hasn't started rusting... It did turn blue after a couple of 1600deg runs though :rof

Oh and you're missing two bolts on the S&B in case you missed that

Reactions: blaze10
#19 ·
Haha my air box is just sitting there not bolted down either. But I just through it together to start it in that picture.

#21 ·
Looking at ripping my insulation out... I hate the way it looks right now. What all is involved in that? What holds it up there?

#23 ·
Thanks. I guess I'll start pulling tomorrow!

#25 ·
I'm a little slow, but I finally figured out what was different about your truck, that I liked....

The cab lights are mounted closer to the windshield. Gives it some more attitude. :thumbsup:

#26 ·
Great looking truck!

I ripped my insulation out after my last valve check. Some debris feel down and it took hours to clean. The sound difference was a little noticeable but it looks so much cleaner im under the hood now.

When I get home I'm looking at throwing some 125 sacs in with an hx35 hybrid. How are those injectors? Any smoke issues?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#27 ·
Thanks for the compliments guys! Will those were there when i bought so I guess I didn't really notice buy you're right they are pretty close to the windshield. I bought new lights when I did the paint and they had 4 LEDs per light... Lasted a whopping 20 min before 2 quit then all 5 were dead in an hour and a half. Still need to call the company about that.

Hawk - I had DAP 90s (non sac) before the current ones, and they smoked 2-3 times as bad as the SACs. These sacs are awesome! Spool my turbo faster and way less smoke!

Reactions: NCWDave
#28 ·
Blue lights anyone?

#29 ·
Whats the reasons for dual pyro probes? And my old shop teacher told me that the best way to get good fuel mileage out of your pickup was to weld a bucket to the floor... you'll never want to drive it that way lol The crate reminded me of that. Definitely a clean truck and I really understand all the work that goes into these rigs lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.