How long will my transmission last?? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Performance Parts Discussion
98.5-02 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 98-02 Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2009, 03:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation How long will my transmission last??

Ok so heres the big question, I looked all over for the truck that i currently own and its exactly what i want. Except for one minor detail, its an automatic!! Considering that when i finally found this truck it was absolutly immaculate - no rust, dents, scratches etc and it only had 59k on it, so i couldnt pass it up. Im gonna be dumping some power into this truck but i want to do it right, i'v had the whole fuel pump issue drilled into my head so that was the first thing i took care of, but i know the dodge trannys r inherently bad, especially if you r dumping 500hp into them. Now iv beat on my trucks before but thats not gonna happen to this one. I just want everyones opinion on how long it should last, what i should do to it and all that other stuff, its been eating away at me for some time.

kyle
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2009, 04:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

IT all depends on what kind of mods that you put to it. Before I owned my truck, it was my grandpa, that bought it new. He never towed anything with is except for a tow behind 20' camper 4 times per year. I got it from him, and it lasted me until just around 148000 miles before its started to slip in every gear. that said, it could last you another 80000 miles if you treat it right, but if you start bombing it in the least bit; get ready for it to bite the dust in about 10000 miles. If I had the choice, I would save money and put in a performance tranny now, and then start pouring the fuel to her. It will save time, and alot of headache

Weekend Toy 1998 2.5 truck.. build in progress
collin_bucko is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2009, 04:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

I have 269,3** miles on my trans. still a stock factory unit that had amsoil put in at 83k. It is now showing some nasty wear and tear. My fault for running around on pl10 and 150 injectors. If you take care of it it'll take care of you.
99 2500hd quad cab long bed,4.10, white n grey 2tone. BHAF,5in dual turn outs, boost guage,airdog150, 150sticks, Adrenaline, 57mm s300, masta performance transmission, ATI convertor. THANKS TO COAL TRAIN DIESEL PERFORMANCE U.S. Air Force 3E831. EOD.
lobsterman04 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2009, 01:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Swap to manual, haha. Thats what I did and ill never turn back. If you go out and buy a performance tranny with a torque converter that will handle 500 hp, it will prolly cost you a little more then just swapping it for a manual. If your dream truck needs to have a manual, make it happen.

I spent two grand on a rebuilt tranny and transfer case, 700 on a nice clutch, and prolly a couple hundred on the other accessories to make everything work. Well worth it in my opinion.
partyshortbusdriver is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2009, 09:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

With an auto I would say first things first, DO AWAY WITH STOCK TRANS COOLING SYSTEM!!!! Total junk!! I found out the hard way. Trans guy said the stock one needs to go, I didn't have the extra money at the time. A year later I was rebuilding the trans. And I don't drive hard at all. If you do that, throw in a billet convertor and a aftermarket valve body you should be good to go.
mstew75 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2009, 09:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
DieselAutoPower.com

Thanked 1,889 Times in 822 Posts
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstew75 View Post
With an auto I would say first things first, DO AWAY WITH STOCK TRANS COOLING SYSTEM!!!! Total junk!! I found out the hard way. Trans guy said the stock one needs to go, I didn't have the extra money at the time. A year later I was rebuilding the trans. And I don't drive hard at all. If you do that, throw in a billet convertor and a aftermarket valve body you should be good to go.
You hauling loads or something? Since I installed the ADR/Pulse my trans temps have never gotten over 170F in stop and go traffic. Course I have a deep pan adding a few more qts. as well.
patracy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2009, 09:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Future Fly Boy!

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Thumbs down

the highest ive gotten was like 202 and that was from some offroading, and really beating on it...normal drviving ill run anywhere from 130-150...racing it at the track id hit about 170ish...id only get a cooler if you are doing some big time towing

Last edited by Gixxer_750; 03-25-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Gixxer_750 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2009, 11:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by patracy View Post
You hauling loads or something? Since I installed the ADR/Pulse my trans temps have never gotten over 170F in stop and go traffic. Course I have a deep pan adding a few more qts. as well.
Until the day the OD burnt up I never saw over 165, and that was pulling a race car on a little 18ft flat trailer. Generally just running highway it ran 145-150. I also have the deep pan too. But as I was told by the trans guy. What good does a deep pan do if the pickup is in stock location? Since I had the trans cooling system redone, the temps at 60MPH have not gone much over 120 and at 75mph it stayed at 130 for over a 250 mile stretch. In town, stop and go, I see 140-150 now. It really has made world of difference.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
DieselAutoPower.com

Thanked 1,889 Times in 822 Posts
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Mine dip down to 120 at hwy speeds. When it's real cold it doesn't even register.

Pulling in OD?
patracy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2009, 12:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by patracy View Post
Mine dip down to 120 at hwy speeds. When it's real cold it doesn't even register.

Pulling in OD?
no, i wasn't pulling anything.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:49 AM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossboss88 View Post
Ok so heres the big question, I looked all over for the truck that i currently own and its exactly what i want. Except for one minor detail, its an automatic!! Considering that when i finally found this truck it was absolutly immaculate - no rust, dents, scratches etc and it only had 59k on it, so i couldnt pass it up. Im gonna be dumping some power into this truck but i want to do it right, i'v had the whole fuel pump issue drilled into my head so that was the first thing i took care of, but i know the dodge trannys r inherently bad, especially if you r dumping 500hp into them. Now iv beat on my trucks before but thats not gonna happen to this one. I just want everyones opinion on how long it should last, what i should do to it and all that other stuff, its been eating away at me for some time.

kyle

i would get a torque converter and valve body asap and it should hold 500hp for a while.

their are a few other thing you can do but they ll drive the price up for installing them since they ll have to pull the front pump.
bsmith is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2009, 09:55 PM   #12 (permalink)

hey just woundering for a stock traney to last awhile, a torque conv.& valve body would help???About how much $$$ do you think it would cost!!
guido01 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.