Best vp44 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Performance Parts Discussion
98.5-02 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 98-02 Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2009, 02:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Best vp44

Who has the best VP44 pumps and why I'm looking at the one from BlueChip sounds about the best really explains what your getting others don't go into much detail in theirs
2002 4x4 , 5 speed 3.54 gears, no slip locker, Edge comp wire taped,Smarty, FASS150/95 ,Amsoil Remote Bypass, MPRB exhaust, AFE stage 1 / Pro-Guard 7 , PacBrake PRXB in line , ATS Aurora 3000 Turbo, ATS Exhaust Manifold, Banks Dynafact gauges
marlin450 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2009, 03:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

marlin - I do not have any experience with it but the BD high performance VP-44 seems like an excellent choice. 90 day warranty and no problems tapping the wire. Anywhere from 80 to 100 hp gain. And I have spoken to John at Holland Court and he has positivie things to say about it. A customer of John's just averaged 26 mpg on the highway with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmboysdiesel View Post
BD pumps are about 100hp over stock. A customer of mine just put one on and loves it. Unlike other Hot Rod pumps it idles smooth and the added power is definitely obvious.
Bd H P Vp44
Old 01-02-2009, 03:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

I have got a few things from bluechip they are good people... They have good customer service..
They do sell a pump that gives you more hp to you have to call and ask about...
Old 01-02-2009, 08:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
The special X from blue chip is a good pump, but they don't work on HO electronics, for some reason. Put one on my Ford about 8 months ago, I love it.

-95' Ford F250 4x4 5 speed Cummins work truck.
icemanjc1 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2009, 10:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

The blue chip "upgraded VP44" from all my reading on his site, and from my experience today, is simply a totally re-manned/new VP44 from Bosch. Bosch now uses the steel bushing in the timing piston, as well as the steel bushing by the diaphram. How do I know? I spent the afternoon at a Bosch certified service facility getting another one. The man that does it walked me through his shop showing me the equipment and testing stations. At that facility, everything is done, and he told me that Bosch now mandates that a re-man gets all the parts and work they do over there.

***The FedEX situation with the computers was also explained to me, after he quit laughing. It was UPS in fact, not FedEX that requested the change. The change made was not because of failures, ALL new Bosch computers have the update. UPS requested that the computer log how many times the VP44 starts and stops, and they made that number avaliable to the techs in the UPS service centers, so that when the pump has been started/stopped/ran so many times/so long they could track it and replace it at a pre-specified number, to prevent the chance of failures on trucks in the field with a worn out pump. I don't know what drivetrain either FedEX or UPS use. Might vary.

The new computers are delivered to EVERY certified service facility that remanufactures them. They are actually blank, and the facility actually "burns" the necessary programming into the pump for its specific application. They do this because the system is used on not only trucks, but also things like marine applications and generators, pumps, etc. Logistically Bosch sends "blank" computers to the service shops to program them to whatever the customers application is.

It was really really cool to get the tour from the owner of the company and see how it really works, the test unit and rebuild benches are incredible! Super nice guy, and I walked out with a totally new VP44 because mine went POOF the other day.

I am in no way saying anything about ANY of the vendors on this site, I'm just clarifying what is going on with the new VP44s, according to the buisness owner.

From what he has told me is that anybody who orders a pump needs to make sure that it does have a new computer, if not, it did not go through a certified Bosch re-man shop, and might not have all the needed mechanical updates. Just be sure to ask, all the guys I talked to about my truck on here are great, I just chose these guys because I could pick the pump up myself and talk to the man in person.

Jerry
Powerwagon64 (06-05-2010), rwhite1 (04-14-2010)
Old 01-02-2009, 10:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Go sharpen your hooves!

i think i'm going with bluechip
Old 01-03-2009, 11:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,013 Times in 803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry3567 View Post
The blue chip "upgraded VP44" from all my reading on his site, and from my experience today, is simply a totally re-manned/new VP44 from Bosch. Bosch now uses the steel bushing in the timing piston, as well as the steel bushing by the diaphram. How do I know? I spent the afternoon at a Bosch certified service facility getting another one. The man that does it walked me through his shop showing me the equipment and testing stations. At that facility, everything is done, and he told me that Bosch now mandates that a re-man gets all the parts and work they do over there.

***The FedEX situation with the computers was also explained to me, after he quit laughing. It was UPS in fact, not FedEX that requested the change. The change made was not because of failures, ALL new Bosch computers have the update. UPS requested that the computer log how many times the VP44 starts and stops, and they made that number avaliable to the techs in the UPS service centers, so that when the pump has been started/stopped/ran so many times/so long they could track it and replace it at a pre-specified number, to prevent the chance of failures on trucks in the field with a worn out pump. I don't know what drivetrain either FedEX or UPS use. Might vary.

The new computers are delivered to EVERY certified service facility that remanufactures them. They are actually blank, and the facility actually "burns" the necessary programming into the pump for its specific application. They do this because the system is used on not only trucks, but also things like marine applications and generators, pumps, etc. Logistically Bosch sends "blank" computers to the service shops to program them to whatever the customers application is.

It was really really cool to get the tour from the owner of the company and see how it really works, the test unit and rebuild benches are incredible! Super nice guy, and I walked out with a totally new VP44 because mine went POOF the other day.

I am in no way saying anything about ANY of the vendors on this site, I'm just clarifying what is going on with the new VP44s, according to the buisness owner.

From what he has told me is that anybody who orders a pump needs to make sure that it does have a new computer, if not, it did not go through a certified Bosch re-man shop, and might not have all the needed mechanical updates. Just be sure to ask, all the guys I talked to about my truck on here are great, I just chose these guys because I could pick the pump up myself and talk to the man in person.

Jerry
Sounds like that would have been a great learning opportunity. I can think of many questions I would have asked him. By the way, was yours painted black?
'01 2500 Sport 4x4 5spd, EZ, straight piped, no sillencer ring, aFe intake, 2 lo kit, Isspro Boost, fuel pressure, and EGT all on pillar, Westach Transmission/Differential temp gauge in dash pod, Raptor 100 with big line kit, Pac Brake, 285's
KATOOM is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2009, 11:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Can we get a list of all the certified rebuilders/dealers? Where is this facility? Was it painted black? How do you know if you got an upgraded computer or not? Just because the salesman "tells" you it's new doesn't mean squat to me. Bluechip may be a little high but they do have great costumer service and when I bought mine it was warrantied with a pump cover if you wanted to tap the wire. I've ran 3 of Chips pumps on different truck with two of them tapped and never had a problem. I'm all about saving money on pumps but who can you trust these days?
Old 01-04-2009, 12:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

KATOOM: make a list of some questions you have and I'll ask the guy I'm going back in on Monday to tell him how my stuff is doing. Yes it was painted black.

KIPO: This facility is named "Diesel Injection Service"-orriginal I know, but they have been there doing buisness since 1942 so I trust his knowlege base. I know I got the upgraded computer, because every certified unit gets one, Bosch rules. They are programmed at the shop on Bosch equipment in house. He didn't tell me: he SHOWED me. Thats good buisness. I'm not knocking the Blue Chip stuff at all, I have no experience with them or reason to, just clarifying some stuff that was on the site.

I don't know the number of the shop offhand, but I will let you guys know tomorrow. He does just about everything, heavy equipment, big rigs-anything that uses diesel injection lol.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Just watching....

-95' Ford F250 4x4 5 speed Cummins work truck.
icemanjc1 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2009, 02:34 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

just replaced mine today...
thumper999 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2009, 07:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomod_Dodge01 View Post
marlin - I do not have any experience with it but the BD high performance VP-44 seems like an excellent choice. 90 day warranty and no problems tapping the wire. Anywhere from 80 to 100 hp gain. And I have spoken to John at Holland Court and he has positivie things to say about it. A customer of John's just averaged 26 mpg on the highway with it.

Bd H P Vp44
I have the BD and you can definalty notice a difference in power, it feels smoother when you hammer the pedal too....now all i need are some new injectors
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.