steering box upgrade ??? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Non-Powertrain
98.5-02 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 98-02 Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 12:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
steering box upgrade ???

recently replaced idler and pitman arm and noticed the amount of play in the steering box....
this is a 2wd and i havent found much info...
its got the typical wander while driving down the road
upgrade info appreciated!!!!!
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2013, 10:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

bump...........
Old 07-22-2013, 01:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

KY - this topic has been beaten to death, is profusely bleeding, and was pronounced dead at the scene...

To fix steering play/wander there are a few different things you can try:
- upgraded borgeson steering gear box
- upgraded borgeson steering shaft
- steering brace
- steering column bushings

Could be you only need a brace, could be you need everything in your steering system. If your replacing your steering gear box, I recommend going ahead and replacing your high pressure lines as well.
KYcummins5.9 (07-22-2013)
Old 07-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin_dodge View Post
KY - this topic has been beaten to death, is profusely bleeding, and was pronounced dead at the scene...

To fix steering play/wander there are a few different things you can try:
- upgraded borgeson steering gear box
- upgraded borgeson steering shaft
- steering brace
- steering column bushings

Could be you only need a brace, could be you need everything in your steering system. If your replacing your steering gear box, I recommend going ahead and replacing your high pressure lines as well.
prob so but aint this a forum? All the threads ive seen lately are mainly 4wd steering questions. Guess i will jus go with the borgesson steering box...thanks
Old 07-22-2013, 09:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Yes - this is a forum and is a place to openly share information.

However, I personally become very aggrevated when I see the same topic being discussed over and over and over - especially ones that have been covered so many times that nobody wants to reply to the post. Search is your best friend on a forum - the information is out there already, it just takes time to find it.

While you under your truck, check your steering shaft as well for play. The factory u-joints will wear out over time.
cumminsdog (07-22-2013)
Old 07-22-2013, 10:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

thanks....
Old 07-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I had great results replacing all loose parts, including the bushing end of the track bar plus a complete by the book (FSM) adjustment (both of them) of the steering box. I also run as much positive caster as I could get and stiff sidewall E rated tires. Drives very well now.
'01 QC 2500 long bed, 3:54 auto w/Dunrite VB & LU switch, untapped Comp, Scan gauge II, Raptor lift pump, fuel pressure gauge and trans temp gauge.
Russ Roth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2013, 05:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

i think the op's main concern is that his truck is 2WD and 99% of the topics relate to the 4WD steering. things that work on 4wd dont on a 2wd. for example the 98-99hd or the latest 09-up steering upgrade that everyone does will not work on the 2wd. I myself have a 2wd and have only done the steering box brace and didnt really see an improvement. im sure the steering box needs replaced, just dont drive the truck much anymore so its not a big deal. to the op. i would start by making sure the ball joints, tie rod ends and what not are tight with no slop. then look into the red head steering box as it seems that it is better than the borgeson. also as russ stated a good tire makes a world of a difference too. good luck and keep us posted so we can get some solid 2WD info going!
The Following User Says Thank You to onefastvw For This Useful Post:
KYcummins5.9 (07-22-2013)
Old 07-22-2013, 09:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Head

The truck won't steer until all of the worn parts are replaced. Determining which parts requires actually looking at the truck. Alternatively, figure all that haven't been replaced are either gone or ready to go. Mine failed in succession and almost all are new.

I have the 2010 setup on the living room floor waiting for me to finish the WhileImAtIt on the 84 300SD. Engine not shutting off turned into vac pods, vac pump, motor mounts, motor shocks, turbo drain grommet, oil change, air cleaner bracket, coolant flush & valve adjust. Must have missed something because $700 went for parts.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastvw View Post
i think the op's main concern is that his truck is 2WD and 99% of the topics relate to the 4WD steering. things that work on 4wd dont on a 2wd. for example the 98-99hd or the latest 09-up steering upgrade that everyone does will not work on the 2wd. I myself have a 2wd and have only done the steering box brace and didnt really see an improvement. im sure the steering box needs replaced, just dont drive the truck much anymore so its not a big deal. to the op. i would start by making sure the ball joints, tie rod ends and what not are tight with no slop. then look into the red head steering box as it seems that it is better than the borgeson. also as russ stated a good tire makes a world of a difference too. good luck and keep us posted so we can get some solid 2WD info going!
thank you sir!!!!! best reply ive gotten so far, glad ya understand...
As far as slop, its my steering box. ball joints and tie rod ends are tight
i tried to hold my steering shaft while a buddy turned the wheel and it appears to be tight...
i will check into the redhead box...THANKS
Old 07-23-2013, 01:21 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Go with a Redhead it's better than having to buy not only the steering box but the whole shaft as well. Also if you think it's in your steering box, try conferming it by tighting up your jam nut on the box and then test it out. If you havn't done it yet, it might tighten it up for now and that will get you by until your ready to spend the big bucks on the much desired much upgraded redhead steering box. Or it will absolutly do nothing for it and now it's very obvious that it's your steering box that went out. Be sure that if you do tighten it up and now your steering feels a little "too" tight as in now your starting to flex the muscles to turn the steering wheel, back it back off. Had a body try and tighten his steering thinking it was the box. He tightened it too much and drove it like that for a while. So now not only does he have to replace the steering box but the bushings as well and a few other parts. The other parts were out and he just "assumed" it was the box and tightened it all the way.

Good luck with it!
'02 2500, QCLB, Auto DTT DIY HD kit, 4X4, 235,000, Silencer MIA, CC breather relocated, ISSPRO EGT/FP/Boost/Trany Temp, BHAF/SHIELD, Raptor 150 BIGLINE, Power Puck, 2"+ Front Springs, Bilstien, Three Disk TC, DT Track Bar, CD Steering Stabilizer, 2012 Steering HD!
FtDavisDodge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to FtDavisDodge For This Useful Post:
KYcummins5.9 (07-23-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 02:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastvw View Post
I am fully aware of that. The same type of diagnosis is required, meaning checking for all loose parts and replacing them. I am only guessing the steering box is the same but even if it is not the adjustment I believe to be a real factor in most cases. BOTH adjustments need to be checked in the proper order per the FSM. Both were out on mine and by a considerable amount especially the one on the upper end of the box which is not the one everyone talks about adjusting.
'01 QC 2500 long bed, 3:54 auto w/Dunrite VB & LU switch, untapped Comp, Scan gauge II, Raptor lift pump, fuel pressure gauge and trans temp gauge.
Russ Roth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Russ Roth For This Useful Post:
KYcummins5.9 (07-23-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.