01 cummins heat problem - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Non-Powertrain
98.5-02 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 98-02 Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 01:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
01 cummins heat problem

Hey guys I know this topic has been beat up pretty bad. I'm trying to bring a used and abused 01 dodge cummins with 325000km back to life. In running into heater problems. I got the dash all apart and a new heater core on the way. My only question is how do I know the control switch is actually switching from hot to cold. The truck only blows luke warm air, but when switched to cold I does switch to cold. It's almost like the gate is only opening a quarter way. Either that or the core was plugged. But it's leaking anyway so needs replacing. I just don't wanna put I all back together and find out its just the air control switch, cause i aint taking it apart again ! Anyone know some trouble shooting ideas? Thanks in advance !

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Dustinh66 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2013, 12:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

your heater core will make a big dif. check your thermostat too jus my .02 i had to change my heatercore mine was so bad it actually wud fog coolant in the cab when i turned the heater on works great now dont no bout the switch part tho
2000 24v raptor 150 1/2 lines BHAF crazy Carl's intake horn 150hp farmboys injectables edge juice att isspro guages boost pyro fuel psi 4" silverline straightpipe 4th gen wheels 315 dune grapplers arp studs valair 13'' swap ceramic single disc chevy leather seats
tennessee cumminsdude is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2013, 12:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

the blend door actuator motor is under the dash just right of the hump. I would make sure the blend door is swinging freely by hand with no restrictions prior to putting it back together. Also make sure your blend door motor is working properly rotating the blend door , they do fail fairly frequently.
01 auto 4 by 4, Fass 150, edge juice attitude, hot unlock, bd towing twins,stage one cam, F1 4.8 injectors, , ported fireringed head , 110 springs, full billet DTT ,ARP studs, four inch mbrp, ARE dcu, , line x ,bedslide,
pmccue is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

also if your in Canada (judging by use of KMs) do NOT install a spectra heater core, they are sold by most after market parts places, I have spent many hours chasing heat issues, they do not perform well, they are cheap 60-80$ vs 300 from dodge,
likely you will find the old one is plugged internally, and if you had a low air output from the vents the evap core will be plugged near solid with oily dirt, I will post a couple pics of this later.
also DO not use a MOTORAD or stant thermostat,as they wont direct hot coolant thru the heater core. (pics to follow) cummins wants near 130$!!!! for a thermostat, but it is amazing the difference in heat output.

Last edited by nickg; 03-17-2013 at 10:27 AM.
nickg is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

here is what my evap core looked like at 297,000kms

here is the difference between the stant and the OEM thermostat, the oem has the plate on the bottom, it directs coolant thru the core, while the non-plate thermo will regulate the temps properly, it will NOT give the same heat as the OEM, even though they will both get the engine to 195F..
Old 03-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

here is a thread where I posted some info, it should help clarify my above post

No Heat out of vents - Page 3 - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.